Ninjago 2019 Discussion

Why is Lasha in every set?

Seriously, he’s in three sets from the new line.

~W12~

1 Like

Who knows? Maybe he was popular back in the days.

The Original 4 dragons are on the box art of the Monestery and yeah Serpentines are the best tho I would have chosen the Hypnobrai or the Constructai tribe.

I think it’s a reference to how unnecessarily common Lasha was back in 2012. Seriously, I have about 5 of him.

3 Likes

But what if you don’t like the design of it?

This dragon looks rough, in my opinion. So much of it just feels exposed. For example, the torso. The disk parts and technic beam just stick out like a sore thumb.

To boot, the body looks really condensed. Just look at how close the legs are. And the wings just feel tacked on to me. They should’ve been brickbuilt.

That said, I think the heads look great. The stud shooters don’t bother me too much, and I like that the print for the eyes. I also love the saddle/throne.

2 Likes

cough The 2012 version was more exposed, fragile, therefore sometimes it broke apart at the saddle. This one looks sturdy. The disk part and Technic beam was “sticking out” in the original version too, even more than here where the fabric wings at least cover some of it. Plus it meant to represent the original play feature of the Ultra Dragon, so I don’t see a problem here. At least it is well recognizable. I don’t know if people were complaining about the Technic beam in 2012 but now they surely don’t when they look back at that model so what changed? Nothing.

To me, the body looks well build and stabile. But I don’t think the legs are thaz close, this is only one angle! Wait until we see it from other different angles of the set before you would judge it with an overall complex review.

I see this set is getting the “judging way too soon” flow which happened many times before, with many various set and which sets turned out to be better than they thought, so I would abstain from too early critiques until we see the actual set.

Side note: I heard it might be possible that it is actually a combanition of the Hunted season dragons.

1 Like

This set appears to be a definite improvement over the old ultra dragon model, however, I wish it had some other serpentine figures. There are only three this year, whereas last time they made four figures for each tribe.

2 Likes

Despite the novelty, I have plenty of gripes about the original Epic Dragon Battle set. The technic beam was one of them. The problem for me is that this set had the opportunity to fix the flaws of the original. So
I feel that the technic beam, like the moulded dragon heads, could’ve been removed in favor of something more cohesive.

You are correct in saying that I shouldn’t make too many judgements until I see other angles. That said, I don’t feel that I judged the set too much. All the comments I made were based on what I can see from this angle.

1 Like

A shame it doesn’t have the original heads, they were cool pieces

The rubber ones that constantly fall off and aren’t fun to build

1 Like

Perhaps the designers didn’t want to fix them intentionally. It could be because some of those strange aesthetic appearance of the Ultra Dragon made it so popular among kids in those years, perhaps they didn’t want to change on what made The Ultra Dragon build-wise so unique, so interesting, so different. Yes, this is what I think could be the reason. And now they brought it back with the possible most significant appearence to well resemble to its predecessor with its new pieces, complex build, yet with the same play function to give more to the nostalgia factor for the major core of the Ninjago community and the experience for younger audience to enjoy it just as they did.
I think The Ultra Dragon is if not the most significant, recognizable character in Ninjago’s theme and therefore it is well worthy for an upgraded new version.

1 Like

It’s now a chair

2 Likes

And who’s fault is that?! Oh yeah he’s now a statue. The point?

I thought it was ironic

1 Like

Ninjago Legacy might be one of my favorite waves in a while. The sets are all so cool looking! :slight_smile:

I have no idea how they’re going to fit this into the story. :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:

I’m pretty sure they’re not going to appear in the story at all.

So are there no sets to cover the story of the “movie”? That’s strange. Since it has been hinted that the movie is about the Oni, I’d expect sets with the Oni…

This conversation might better belong in another topic, but I don’t believe that the tv movie is going to actually “conclude” the SoG/Hunted story in the fullest sense. I expect it will tie up several loose ends other than the oni, leaving that whole storyline for the summer wave.
Practically, I think that with only four episodes’ worth of story, the tv movie would be bogged down if it needed to tie-in a whole wave of sets.

Not really. The main fanbase of Ninjago will always look at the Ultra Dragon as one of the most memorable, famous character of the show. By the way, It is possible that this is, in fact, a New Ultra Dragon combined from the Dragons from Hunted season.

1 Like

The dragons were more memorable seperate

2 Likes

But together they were more effective in combat battle in the fusion form.

If you look at the box art’s background of the Monastery set, you will see those 4 dragons.