(NLAU) Past, Pt. 1: The Quest for the Toa (Sections 1 & 2)

The first part of the “Past” Storyline in the New Light AU. Part 1 chronicles the events that lead to the creation of the Toa Metru, focusing on Takua’s POV. (This is also the most plot-significant point of divergence from the core timeline.)

––––––––––––––––––––

Section 1: Beginnings

––––––––––

Day in a Life (Past 1-1)

In days long past… Takua, the Ta-Matoran toolsmith, is enjoying a fairly typical day. Which of course, means he’s dodging work to go explore Metru Nui. On his way out and about, Takua runs into his best friend, Jala.
“Where are you off to in such a hurry?” Jala asks with a smirk.
“Gotta dodge those Vahki!” Takua replies with a grin. “I’ve got a friend to go see.”
Jala sighs, shaking his head. “If you put half as much effort into your work as you do dodging Vahki… well, good luck out there, friend.”
––

Takua eventually makes his way to Ga-Metru. Here, he finds the friend he’s come to see: Maku. The two sit down outside her home to talk for awhile.
“You’re such a risk taker,” Maku chuckles. “Ditching work to see the city.”
“Wouldn’t you do it to?” Takua asks. “If your job didn’t already let you see the city, that is.”
Maku laughs. “I just might, Takua. I just might. I’d certainly hate to be locked in a toolsmith’s forge all day, that’s for sure!”
“See? I’m glad you at least understa—”
––

Their conversation is interrupted by unmistakable metallic clanking. Sure enough, a lone Vahki unit has managed to pursue Takua this far.
“Oh, Great Spirit!” Takua exclaims, leaping to his feet. “Looks like I gotta run!”
“Go, Takua, go!” Maku cries.
Takua turns and takes off, as the Vahki follows closely behind. This is something the Ta-Matoran is quite used to, after all. And if these one thing he’s good at… it’s avoiding the Vahki!

––––––––––

A Task from Lhikan (Past 1-2)

In days long past… Takua, actually on his proper off-hours for once, is shocked by the approach of Toa Lhikan— Metru Nui’s legendary guardian— gliding down from on high.
––

The Toa of Fire lands. “Takua! I’ve found you at last! I need your help, friend.”
“My help??” Takua can’t believe what he’s hearing. “What is it you need?”
––

Lhikan pulls out a set of six strange stones, handing them to Takua one by one. “These stones are of great importance,” Lhikan explains. “I need you to get them to six Matoran. The Great Spirit Mata Nui may very well depend on it.”
––

Takua inspects one of the stones, curious as to its nature. “Well… why can’t you do it, Toa Lhikan?”
“I am fairly certain I’m being followed,” Lhikan responds, glancing over his shoulder. “I’ve lost them for now, whoever they are… but I can’t risk them interfering.”
“Then… why choose me?”
––

“Your propensity to explore instead of working means you likely know the city as a whole better than almost anyone else.” Toa Lhikan chuckles softly, then locks eyes with Ta-Matoran. “And I know you are brave, Takua. I believe in my heart you will not fail me. Now— seek out Nuju, Matau, Onewa, Nokama, Whenua, and Vakama. Deliver each of them a stone, and instruct them to go to the Great Temple. Make haste, Takua! I’m counting on you.” And with that, Toa Lhikan dashes off.
––

As Takua stands, lost in thought, he is approached by his friend Huki, also on his off-hours.
“Hey, Takua!” He strides over to greet Takua, who is mumbling the six names to himself.
“Vakama… Nuju… Matau… Onewa…”
“Onewa? Po-Metru’s star carver?”
“You know him?” Takua asks eagerly. “Can you take me to him?”
“I sure can,” Huki begins, “but if you bring a squad of Vakhi on us… you’re on your own!” The two share a laugh as Takua follows Huki, eager to being his task. And though he doesn’t know it yet, Takua’s great Destiny has just been set into motion.

––––––––––––––––––––

Section 2: The Quest Begins

––––––––––

The Carver, Onewa (Past 1-3)

In days long past… “Onewaaaaaa!” Huki calls out as he and Takua enter the shop, standing in a clean and tidy foyer. “You here?”
––

A Matoran carrying a craving chisel walks out from the back. “Oh Huki, it’s you! Whatchya lookin for? And who’s this you’ve brought?”
“Oh, this is Takua!”
“That friend of yours who’s always running from Vahki?” Onewa looks over at the Ta-Matoran. “I hope he hasn’t brought any trouble here to my shop.”
––

“Oh, no trouble at all, I promise!” Takua steps forward, stone in hand. “This… is for you. Toa Lhikan instructed me to give it to you.”
“Is that so?” Onewa chuckles. “And Turaga Dume has declared a whole week of no work too, right?”
“I’m serious,” Takua insists.
––

“What is it?” Onewa grabs the stone and starts to inspect it.
“I’m not sure. All I know is Lhikan said to take it to the Great Temple, and that the Great Spirit might depend on this.”
“Huh… sounds like you aren’t kidding.” Onewa looks up at Takua. “Alright. I’ll do it.”
––

“You were looking for others, right?” Huki asks.
“Yes! Let’s see.” Takua begins to recall the names. “Nuju… Matau… Whenua…”
“Whenua? I know him,” Onewa says. “He’s an Archivist in Onu-Metru. Recently commissioned a little statue from me.”
––

“An Archivist? Great! I know a couple people there, I’m sure they’ll help me find him. Just remember to take that stone to the Great Temple. Thanks for the help!” And with that, Takua dashes to the door, eager to make his next stop.
“Be careful out there!” Huki calls after him.
Onewa continues to examine the stone, admiring its craftsmanship, and wondering about it’s purpose.

––––––––––

Into the Archives (Past 1-4)

In days long past… “So what brings you to the Archives today, bud?” Pahnu, one of Takua’s friends who works in the Archives, greets the Ta-Matoran at the entrance.
“I’m looking for Whenua,” Takua replies. “Is he in?”
“Oh yeah, I just saw him a couple hours ago. I’ll take you to him.” Pahnu sets off into the halls of the Archives, followed by Takua.
––

“So what do you need Whenua for?”
“It’s an urgent task… from Toa Lhikan.”
“Toa Lhikan? Sent you to do an urgent task?” Pahnu laughs softly. “He must be losing his mind. Anyway, we should nearly be to where Whenua was working…”
––

Suddenly, the two turn a corner and are greeted by a large, four legged creature. With blue armor, clawed feet, and a pair of large teeth that jut out of its mouth, the creature is nearly twice the height of the Matoran.
“It’s loose!” Pahnu exclaims in distress.
“What is it?” Takua asks.
“It’s an exotic Rahi from a faraway land! Just arrived yesterday.”
The creature begins to growl and squat down, as if preparing to pounce.
“Perhaps we should get to a faraway land ourselves right about now…” Takua whispers.
––

Just before the creature pounces, the two dash back the way they came. The Rahi pursues them, clearly much faster than the Matoran but slowed down by the cramped interior of the Archives.
“If we make a wrong turn, we’re scrap,” Pahnu huffs.
“Well, then let’s not make a wrong turn!” Takua replies.
“Well, you’re the one in front, Akalini-head!!”
––

Takua trips on himself and falls over. “Yieeeeeeep!”
As he turns around, fully expecting to be torn apart, another Matoran leaps out from a side hall.
“Stop, Gahra, stop!” the Matoran yells. In his hand he carries a rod with a blinking light on the end, which seems to be emitting a soft hum.
“Whenua!” Pahnu exclaims. “What’re you doing?!”
“I’ve got this!” Whenua replies. “Just trust me!”

––––––––––

Whenua, the Archivist (Past 1-5)

In days long past… Whenua waves his rod back and forth. The Rahi seems to be mesmerized by it; its growling slowly subsides and it relaxes its limbs.
––

The Rahi sinks to the ground, stretching out with a soft yawn as Whenua continues to slowly wave the rod in front of it.
“This emits a sound that these Rahi find soothing,” he explains. “Paired with the light to keep her attention focused away from any potential prey, I can put her soundly to sleep.”
Takua stands up and watches Whenua, utterly fascinated.
––

In no time at all, the Rahi has curled up, fast asleep.
“Whenua,” Pahnu says softly, “that was incredibly dangerous of you to jump in front of it like that… but you saved us. Thank you.”
“Gahra wouldn’t have actually hurt you,” Whenua replies. “Well, probably. I just didn’t want her to end up smashing into anything.”
“So you just saved all the Rahi here, too,” Takua concludes.
“Well, I suppose so…”
––

Whenua then turns to face the Ta-Matoran. “So, uh, who are you?”
“Oh, I’m Takua!” Takua pulls out a stone. “This is for you. Toa Lhikan tasked me with giving six of these to six Matoran. And one of them is you, Whenua.”
––

Whenua takes the stone, less incredulous than Onewa was. “Six stones for six Matoran, you say? Who were the others?”
“Let’s see… Nokama… Nuju… Matau…”
“Matau?” Pahnu asks with a twinge of shock.
“You know Matau?”
“I once saw him desperately hanging on to a Gukko bird during a trip to Le-Metru. One of his friends said he’s determined to learn to ride them!”
“Do you happen to know where I can find him?”
“Apparently he’s a test driver for vehicle prototypes at the Test Track,” Pahnu says.
––

“Thank you!” Takua quickly turns to Whenua. “Now, Toa Lhikan said you need to take that stone to the Great Temple. Bye!” With that, Takua dashes off, leaving Pahnu and Whenua to stare at the stone in puzzlement.
“Six stones…” Whenua mumbles to himself. “Hm…”

––––––––––

Matau, the Test Driver (Past 1-6)

Takua enters the Test Track, via a back entrance to avoid the Vahki. He finds himself on the track itself, which is empty at the moment.
“Oh gosh…” He looks around. “I wonder where—“
––

“Ahhhhh!” Suddenly, a Le-Matoran drops from a ways above, landing with a solid thud and causing Takua to jump back in surprise. “Stupid Gukko…” he mutters. “I didn’t even— oh!”
––

The Matoran looks up at Takua. “Hello there, fire-spitter. What brings you out here to the Jungle?”
“Ahhh… I’m looking for a certain Matoran who works here. Are… are you Matau?”
“The one and only!” Matau grins. “What is it you need? Have a wacky vehicle design you need tested ever-quick?”
“Actually…” Takua pulls out a stone from his pack. “I have something to give you.”
––

“Ooh, a gift?” Matau eagerly gets up. “What is it??”
“Well… I don’t exactly know. But Toa Lhikan gave six of them to me, and told me to give them to six Matoran— including you.”
“A hush-secret gift from Toa Lhikan?” Matau snatches the stone and looks it over. “…what does it do?”
––

“I’m not entirely sure. He said you’re to take it to the Great Temple… but that’s all I know.”
“So a mystery, hm? Sounds like an adventure!” Matau proclaims.
“Hahahaha, yes! So, I have three more Matoran to look for. Do you happen to know Nuju, Nokama, or Vakama?” Takua asks.
“Hm… nope!” Matau shakes his head. “Can’t sure-say I have, sorry!”
––

“Ah… Hm…” Takua half-expected Matau to know of at least one of them. “Well… thanks anyway. Just, remember to take that stone to the Great Temple.” Takua turns to leave, unsure of where exactly to go next.
“Yes yes! And many-hopes you find the Matoran you seek!” Matau replies. He returns his attention to the stone. “A gift from Toa Lhikan? How ever-lucky of me! I won’t disappoint our great guardian!”

––––––––––

Pondering (Past 1-7)

As Takua wanders the streets of Le-Metru, he stumbles into his friend Maku.
“Takua!” she calls out to him. “What’re you doing all the way here in the Jungle?”
“Well,” Takua responds, “I’m on a… quest.”
“A quest?”
“Yes. For Toa Lhikan. He asked me to deliver six stones to six Matoran.”
––

“A quest for Toa Lhikan? That sounds exciting!” Maku says. “How many have you delivered so far?”
“Three,” Takua answers. “But I don’t know where to find the other three Matoran.”
“Well, maybe I could help? I’ve met a lot of Matoran running my canoe tours. Who do you need to find?”
“Nuju, Vakama… and Nokama.”
“Nokama? She was my teacher!” Maku exclaims. “I can take you to her! I’m headed back to Ga-Metru anyways. And if you’re with me, you’re less likely to get a Vahki squad on your back!” Maku laughs.
“Oh really? That would be so helpful Maku, thank you!” Takua follows Maku to her canoe, and the two set off.
––

As the two travel up the channels between the metru, Takua sinks into his thoughts.
“Maku…” he begins. “…do you ever feel like… like you don’t quite fit?”
“What do you mean, Takua?”
“For the longest time, I’ve felt like I don’t quite belong,” he explains. “Like… like I’m meant for something other than this. I don’t like being a tool smith. It doesn’t feel right. And I’m not sure why…”
“Well, I can understand that,” Maku replies. “I didn’t want to be a scholar. So I was able to convince Turaga Dume to let me run my canoe tours instead!”
––

“Yeah…” Takua wistfully looks up at the sky above. “I just… don’t know what it is I want to do. What it is I’m meant to do.”
“You’ll find your path,” Maku assures him. “Knowing you, Takua, I’m sure you’ll find it, one way or another. Even if you’ve got all the Vahki in Metru Nui trying to stop you!”
Takua laughs, amused by the thought of having every single Vahki in the city on his tail. “I hope so, Maku. I really hope so…”

––––––––––––––––––––
The thrilling(?) beginning of the NLAU story!

Sections 3 and 4 are here: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 1: The Quest for the Toa (Sections 3 & 4)

5 Likes

Well this little story is certainly off to a nice start! I like the inclusion of pictures, rather than having it be solely text. I’ll be interested to see what else happens…

3 Likes

gotta agree with bookah here.

2 Likes

Update! Section 2 has been added!

1 Like

Very nice. I’m liking where this story is going.

2 Likes

Thank you! Let me assure you… Part 2 ramps things up immensely

1 Like

Update!! Section 3 is now up! One more section to go!

1 Like

ooh we’re close to the end!

(I moved Section 3 to the second post because character limits are a thing, it seems. The rest of the Pt. 1 story is there!)

2 Likes