(NLAU) Past, Pt. 1: The Quest for the Toa (Sections 3 & 4)

The Rest of Past, Pt. 1

––––––––––––––––––––
Section 3: The Quest Continues

––––––––––

Nokama, the Teacher (Past 1-8)

In days long past… “Thanks for the ride!” As Takua disembarks from the canoe, he waves at Maku.
“Any time, friend!” She smiles, then proceeds to float off.
––

Following the instructions he’d been given by Maku, Takua finds himself at the doorway to one of the many Ga-Metru homes that house the metru’s teachers. He knocks on the door, and soon enough a Matoran comes to answer.
“Hello there,” she greets him warmly.
“Hi! Uhm, are you Nokama?”
“That would be me, yes.” She laughs softly.
––

“In that case…” Takua pulls out one of the stones from his satchel. “I have something for you.”
Nokama eyes the stone in Takua’s hand. “I’m a little busy this month to take anything else in for study…”
“Oh, no no no! This isn’t to study— Toa Lhikan instructed me to give this to you.”
––

“Toa Lhikan?” Nokama takes the stone and inspects it. “What is it?”
“I have no idea!” Takua smiles. “All I know is that he instructed me to give six stones to six Matoran. And you’re one of them! Oh, and he also said you were to take it to the Great Temple.”
––

“Six Matoran… well, who are the others?”
“I’ve only got two left to deliver,” Takua replies. “I have to find Vakama… and Nuju.”
“Nuju? I’ve met him before! Only briefly, but he’s a Scholar in Ko-Metru! A former protégée of the illustrious Ihu, I believe.”
––

“Oh goodness, thank you!” Takua grins at Nokama. “I guess it’s off to the Knowledge Towers, then!!” And with that, Takua zips away, leaving Nokama to gaze at her stone.
“What could these mean? And… why did Toa Lhikan choose me?”

––––––––––

Nuju, the Scholar (Past 1-9)

In days long past… Takua encounters his friend Huru as he makes he navigates through Ko-Metru.
“Takua? What brings you all the way out here?” Huru asks.
“I’ve got to make a delivery,” Takua replies.
“Hah, actually doing your job for once?”
“Well, not exactly. See… Toa Lhikan gave me these stones, and told me I had to deliver them to six Matoran. And one of them is Nuju. He’s a scholar, right?”
––

“Yes, he works in the Knowledge Towers, gazing at the stars to decipher the future,” Huru replies. He points to a tower a little ways off. “That one, specifically. You’ll find him on the 19th floor; his work station is marked with his name. But if you’re headed there… make sure you’re quiet inside. If you’re too loud, they’ll call a squad of Vahki— and I assume you’re not here with permission.”
“You know me too well…” Takua laughs. “Thank you friend.” He smiles at Huru, before making for the Tower.
––

“Nuju?” Takua speaks softly, having finally reached the designated workstation.
The Matoran turns around from his work. “Speaking. What do you want?”
“I have something for you.” Takua pulls out the stone.
––

“What is it?”
“Toa Lhikan told me to deliver it to you.” Takua hands Nuju the stone. “He said to take it to the Great Temple. But I don’t know what it is.”
“Toa Lhikan?” Nuju inspects the stone with his lens.
“He told me to give six of them to six Matoran, including you. Now I only need to find one more… Vakama…”
––

“Vakama? He forged my telescopic lens,” Nuju says. “He’s a skilled mask maker too, I believe.”
“Mask maker… oh, Vakama! Duh! Jala’s talked about him before. Apparently he’s been getting a lot of visits from Turaga Dume lately.”
“He must be quite skilled then," Nuju muses, “if the Turaga has personal need of him.”
––

Takua nods “Well, thanks for jogging my memory! And remember, take that stone to the Great Temple!” With that Takua quietly dashes off.
Nuju watches him go as he ponders what the stone could be. “Hm…”

––––––––––

Something Amiss (Past 1-10)

In days long past… as Takua returns to Ta-Metru, his best friend Jala approaches.
“Takua! Where’ve you been all day?”
“Ah! Well… I’ve been on a quest.”
“Another of your sightseeing tours, huh?” Jala laughs.
“This time it’s serious!” Takua replies. “I need to know where Vakama’s forge is.”
––

Jala looks at Takua. “…it sounds like this really is important,” he says. He then tells Takua where to find Vakama’s forge.
“Thank you, Jala. You’re the best.”
“I don’t know what you’re up to… but whatever it is, be safe.”
––

As Takua approaches the designated building, he is startled by Toa Lhikan dropping down from above.
“Don’t go in just yet,” the Toa whispers.
––

Lhikan pulls Takua back into the alley beside the building.
“What’s wrong, Toa Lhikan?”
“There’s something amiss, my friend. Listen.”
––

Inside the forge, the esteemed Turaga Dume is speaking with Vakama.
“Perhaps your disks simply are not of high enough quality, Vakama?”
Vakama scoffs indignantly. “My disks are of the finest quality in all of Metru Nui! But what you are asking me to forge… a Mask of Time… has never been done before. Perhaps if I had the Great Disks…”
“Ah, yes, the Great Disks. But even if they are in fact real… only a true Toa could ever obtain them…”
––

“These are uncertain times, Vakama,” the Turaga says gravely. “The threat of the Morbuzahk grows every day. Soon, it might very well bring all work to a halt. That mask could be what we need to save us. I’m counting on you.”
“I… I won’t let you down,” Vakama replies, shakily.
––

As Turaga Dume leaves, Toa Lhikan turns to Takua. “There’s been something strange about the Turaga lately,” he explains. “He seems unconcerned with the disappearance of my Toa comrades, who would be of great help against the Morbuzahk. And he seems obsessed with making this Mask of Time. It’s all very strange… in any case, we can go in now.”
––

Takua follows Lhikan into the forge, where Vakama is back at work. The mask-maker turns to face them.
“Hello, what– Toa Lhikan!! What… what brings you to my forge?”

––––––––––

Vakama, the Mask Maker (Past 1-11)

In days long past… “Vakama,” Lhikan says, kneeling down to face the Matoran, “Metru Nui is in grave danger. And I need your help.” Takua pulls out the stone and outstretches his arm as Lhikan continues.“You must—”
––

“Theeeeere you are, Lhikan.” A menacing voice echoes out in the forge.
“Who’s there??” Takua asks, as the trio look around worriedly.
“Oh, no…” Lhikan says. “He’s here.”
––

From out of the shadows leaps a figure most foul. With four legs, two large clawed arms, and sharp mandibles at its mouth, the being is utterly terrifying. Lhikan steps in front of the Matoran, drawing his blades.
“So good to see you again… Brother.” The creature cackles.
––

“So it is true… this is what became of you… Nidhiki. I’d heard whispers that your time as a Hunter had… changed you.” As Nidhiki charges towards him, Lhikan raises his blade and halts Nidhiki, blade meeting claw with a sharp clink.
––

“Come now,” Nidhiki says. “We don’t need to fight. Just lay down and lose like a good Toa, and this can all be over, Brother.” Nidhiki charges up a blast of energy in his mandibles. He fires it at the Toa. Lhikan crosses his blades in front of him, and his mask flashes. A powerful shield of energy surrounds the trio, protecting them from the blast.
“Oh geez!” Takua mutters to himself.
––

As the protective shield disappears, Lhikan points his blade at Nidhiki. “You lost the right to call me Brother long ago.” He shoots a blast of fire at Nidhiki, causing Nidhiki to stumble back with a cry of pain.
––

“Now, is that any way to treat an old friend?” Nidhiki shakes his insectoid head. “You’re making me mad.” He fires a blast of sickly green energy from his claw, which jets past Lhikan and hits Vakama, sending the Matoran flying back and into a shaft of molten Protodermis.
“Vakama!!” Lhikan cries out.
As Vakama desperate clings to pipes on the side of the shaft, Nidhiki cackles again. Lhikan closes his eyes.
“Takua… when I say go… you grab my board and jump into the shaft.”
“What?!” Takua looks over at the Toa in disbelief.
“You have to trust me, friend.”
“I… alright. I trust you, Toa Lhikan.”
––

“Go!!” Lhikan slams his blades together into their board form and hands it to Takua. The Matoran dashes with it and jumps into the shaft. As he falls, Vakama lets go of the shaft walls and lands on the board in front of Takua. The board lands on the molten Protodermis, safely protecting the two.
“Save the heart of Metru Nui!” Lhikan calls out. “I’m counting on you, Vakama!” The board follows the current of the Protodermis, carrying the two Matoran down a dark tunnel.
––

The two Matoran eventually reach a small collection pool at the end of the tunnel. They climb out onto the floor around the pool, then take a small hatch out into an alleyway.
“What happened to Toa Lhikan?” Vakama asks.
“I… I don’t know,” Takua replies.
“And why were you there, anyway, Takua?”
“Because Toa Lhikan instructed me to deliver six stones to six Matoran— including you.” Takua pulls out the last stone and hands it to Vakama.
––

“Why…why me?” Vakama asks as he takes the stone.
“I wish I could tell you,” Takua replies. “All I know is that Toa Lhikan said it was important. I’m sure it has something to do with him needing your help. Now c’mon. We’ve gotta get to the Great Temple.”
“Alright.” Vakama nods. “I… I really hope he’s okay.”
“I’m sure he’s fine. He’s a Toa, after all.” Takua looks over at Vakama’s worried face. “All you can do now is do what he asked of you, Vakama. He would want you to put that first, before worrying about him.”
Vakama pauses for a moment. “…yes. Yes you’re right. Let’s go.”

––––––––––––––––––––

The Quest Realized (Past 1-12)

In days long past… five Matoran gather in the back of the Great Temple. Nuju is bickering with Onewa over the Po-Matoran’s attitude, as Nokama attempts to mediate. Whenua and Matau watch, the latter somewhat amused.
––

“Oh, you all made it!” The group turn to see Takua approaching, accompanied by Vakama.
“Indeed,” Whenua replies.
“Six Matoran… brought together for… what purpose exactly?” Nuju asks.
Takua shakes his head. “Toa Lhikan didn’t say.”
“But he did say something about saving the heart of Metru Nui,” Vakama says.
“How are we supposed to do that?” Onewa asks.
“Perhaps we should first figure out what to do with these stones,” Nokama suggests.
––

As the Matoran look around the interior of the Temple, Nuju notices something.
“I don’t think I recognize this passageway,” he says, pointing to a small opening in the back wall of the Temple.
––

The other Matoran follow Nuju into a small, dimly lit, chamber.
“I don’t think I’ve ever seen this room,” Nokama says.
“Look here.” Vakama stands before a small shrine in the center of the chamber. “There are slots here… that seem to be the right size for our stones.”
“Well, let’s put 'em in and quick-see what happens!” Matau declares. The six Matoran gather around and place their stones into the slots on the shrine.
––

Suddenly, there is a powerful flash of light. Takua stumbles back and falls to the ground, as the flash seems to carry with it some subtle force of some kind. He closes his eyes…

––––––––––

Toa! (Past 1-13)

In days long past… As the flash of light fades, Takua stands back up. Six figures stand tall before him now.
“Whoa…” He can hardly believe his eyes. But there’s only one explanation he can think of for what’s happened. “You’ve… you’ve become Toa!” The six new Toa examine their respective bodies.
“Wow…” Matau flexes his new limbs.
“Fascinating…” Nuju inspects his hand.
“We’re… Toa?” Vakama asks incredulously.
Suddenly, a slot in the wall opens up, revealing a set of various tools, beckoning the Toa to come and pick.
––

Whenua picks a pair of power carvers, while Nuju grabs a pair of ice spikes.
––

Onewa selects two proto pitons, while Matau nabs twin aero slicers.
––

Nokama selects twin hydro blades, while Vakama decides on the familiar feeling disk launcher.
––

“So… Now what do we do?” Whenua asks.
“Lhikan said something about saving the heart of Metru Nui,” Vakama replies, recalling his encounter earlier. “I’m not sure what he meant, but…”
––

Suddenly, strange images begin to flash before Vakama’s eyes, obscuring everything else. They eventually coalesce into a cohesive image of six disks— the Great disks.
––

“Vakama?” Nokama asks. “Are you alright?”
Vakama returns to the moment. “I… I believe we must seek out the Great Disks.”
“What makes you say that?”
“I… I saw them… in a vision.”
“Hah! A vision?” Onewa snorts. “Wait, you’re serious? You think we should search for legendary artifacts that might not even exist… based on a vision?”
“I saw them, I swear it! And I know they’ll help us! Somehow…”
“The Great Disks are said to have great power,” Nuju muses.
“Power enough to stop the Morbuzahk, perhaps?” Nokama posits.
“Finding them— and stopping the Morbuzahk— would sure-prove us as true Toa!” Matau adds.
“Then… that should be our first task,” Vakama declares. The others all nod in agreement (though Onewa’s is hesitant).
––

“Sounds like a fitting quest for new Toa!” Takua says. “So uhm…I have something to ask…”

––––––––––

A Chronicler (Past 1-14)

“What is it, Takua?”
“Well… Since you’re new Toa, you’re going to need a Chronicler! And I’d like to be that for you.”
––

“A Chronicler? Hah!” Onewa snorts. “You’d only get in the way.”
Nokama nods. “While I don’t share Onewa’s rudeness, if we’re really going to face the Morbuzahk, it might be too dangerous for you.”
––

“C’mon, don’t be so down-sad!” Matau grins at Takua. “We’ll definitely need someone to tell tales of our glory and heroism!”
“It would certainly be good to have a Matoran to back us up,” Nuju concurs. “Other Matoran may be skeptical of us… a Chronicler might help alleviate that.”
––

“I… I really have no strong opinion either way,” Whenua admits. “Sorry.”
––

Takua looks up at the newborn Toa of Fire. “So… Vakama?”
––

Before he can answer, Vakama sees another vision, of two figures in confrontation. One appears to be a Toa, and the other is a towering, menacing being. Vakama can feel the importance of this moment… and that somehow, Takua will have an instrumental role to play in it.
––

Returning to the present, Vakama chooses not to share his vision just yet. “Takua’s a resourceful Matoran who knows the city as a whole very well. And he brought us all together. I think that if he wants to be our Chronicler… then he should be.”
“That settles it then,” Nokama says.
“We don’t have time to make it official just yet,” Vakama says. “But we will treat you as our Chronicler, Takua.”
Takua grins. “Oh, thank you thank you, thank you!!” His heart swells with joy.
––

“So uh… what are we going to call ourselves?” Matau asks.
“Well… you all come from different Metru,” Takua begins, “and you’re here to save Metru Nui… how about the Toa Metru?” The Toa all nod in agreement.
“Then we are the Toa Metru!” Vakama says. As he and the other Toa begin to discuss, Takua revels in the moment. At long last, he has a job he’s excited for— the Chronicler of the Toa Metru!

––––––––––

The Hunt for the Great Disks (Past 1-15)

In days long past… And so, the Toa Metru set out on their quest to find the Great Disks and stop the Morbuzahk threat, hoping to prove themselves as true Toa in the process. They soon realize that there are six Matoran who know the location of these disks. As Takua joins them on their adventure, he observes the interesting relationships between these six matoran and the six new Toa.
––

Takua sees the mentor Nuhrii, jealous of his student Vakama being more recognized (and more skilled), eager to prove himself by crafting a mask out of a Great Disk.
––

Takua sees the student Vhisola, obsessed with her teacher Nokama, seeking the Great Disk to make Nokama feel as forgotten as she does.
––

Takua sees cautious and careful-minded Orkahm butting heads with wild and adventurous Matau, mostly inconvenienced at having found the Great Disk and wishing to be rid of it.
––

Takua sees hard-headed Archivist Tehutti, eager to prove himself on par with the likes of Whenua by finding the Great Disk to make an exhibit out of it with his name on it.
––

Takua sees eager-minded Ehrye, too hasty for his own good, clash with a patient and thoughtful Nuju, seeking the Great Disk to fast track his path to a Scholar.
––

And Takua sees the prideful Ahkmou, envious of Onewa’s superior craftsmanship, seeking the Great Disk as a means to somehow gain more fame for himself.
––

Through these six Matoran, Takua sees their many flaws, some more relatable than others. He observes how they reflect upon the Toa Metru, in contrast, and how the Toa differ from their Matoran counterparts…
––

The Toa gather with their respective Matoran, and discuss how they shall go about finding the Great Disks. It is ultimately decided that they should split off into pairs, and the hunt commences.
––

The uncertain leader is challenged by the sarcastic doubter, while they embrace the root of fire and seek a mountain in balance…
––

The serious and wise teacher works with the hardheaded adventurer, as they go beyond the depths of any before and seek a place where a disk shall be all around them…
––

The lover of the past and the studier of the future must reconcile their different perspectives, while leaving no door unopened below and seeking the place where sky and ice are joined…
––

As Takua finds out, there are many obstacles in the way of the Toa, from the vines of the Morbuzahk to the claws of a dreadful Hunter.
––

Even one of their own, the Matoran Ahkmou, turns out to be a turncoat, willing to sell the rest of them out to Nidhiki… but equally eager to switch sides when it favors him.
––

But in the end all of the Great Disks are gathered, through the courage and daring of the Toa Metru. Of course, Takua knew they would do it, having more faith in their abilities than they themselves had.
––

The Toa eventually face the dreaded Morbuzahk, challenging the King Root in the heart of the Great Furnace. The battle is long and pushes them to their limit… but eventually, they use the power of the Great Disks to entrap the Root and end its threat forever.
––

And so, the Toa celebrate their victory, at last starting to feel like true Toa heroes. Takua beams, overjoyed to have been along for the journey to document their first great quest.
Little does he know… the future for the Toa Metru (and himself along with them) will have perils far, far greater than the Morbuzakh…

––––––––––––––––––––
There’s a character limit for these posts? This will impact how I share story content, moving forward. Perhpas I will have to post each section one at a time…
-_-

Anyway, here it is! The end of the Quest for the Toa! Takua is now the Chronicler of the Toa Metru, who have obtained the Great Disks and defeated the Morbuzakh. But there are far greater threats on the horizon for these heroes…

Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape starts here: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 1)

7 Likes

ooh very nice! While the ending is pretty much just the official ending with Takua being there, it’s still pretty neat. I like the pictures.

2 Likes

Aye, this Part was mostly about setup. I wanted to spend a significant amount of time with Takua, get to know him, and meet some of his friends in Metru Nui. Lotta groundwork, storywise, but it will pay off later on down the line.
There will be a lot more action and activity in the next Part, for sure.

And thank you! I enjoy having some visuals to go with the story. Especially for character dialogue scenes ^-^

2 Likes

oh wow
this is really cool!

2 Likes