(NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 1)

The next part of Takua’s adventure begins…
––––––––––––––––––––
Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape

Section 1: The Awaited Debut
––––––––––

A Day Off (Past 2-1)

In days long past… “So,” Jala begins, “what are we gonna do today?” Both he and Takua have the day off.
“You haven’t tried Maku’s Canoes yet, have you?” Takua asks.
Jala sighs. “No, I have not…”
––

“Well, then let’s go!” Takua proudly leads the way. “Trust me, it’s worth it!”
“If you say so,” Jala replies. “I can’t say I see the value in it though…”
––

The two reach Maku’s coastal storefront, just as she arrives back from a tour.
“Oh, hello Vhisola,” Takua says, surprised to see her disembarking the canoe. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”
“Yeah, well…” Vhisola trails off. “I had some thinking to do. Anyways, I’ll be off now.” With that, she departs. Maku turns to the Ta-Matoran.
“So, you finally convince your friend to take a ride, huh?” She chuckles. “C’mon then, let’s go!”
––

“So, how go your adventures with the Toa?” Jala asks as the trio sit in their canoe.
“The Toa are real?” Maku’s voice brims with excitement.
“They sure are! I’ve been working as their Chronicler!” Takua declares proudly. “They defeated the Morbuzahk! Now they’re on some errand in the Archives.”
“That’s so cool!” Maku replies.
“And gives Takua another excuse to ditch work!” Jala laughs.
––

Jala and Takua gaze out at the great Silver Sea, with Jala utterly in awe.
“I’ve… never seen Metru Nui like this before,” he says softly.
“Seeeeee, I told you it was worth it.” Takua smiles.
––

The three arrive back at the dock on the coast.
“Huki!” Takua grins at the sight of his Po-Matoran friend. “You here to try out Maku’s canoes, too?”
“Yup!” Huki grins. “I figured if you say they’re worth it, might as well give it a shot. Even if I’m not terribly fond of seas…”
––

As Huki goes up to Maku to depart on the tour, Jala and Takua head off.
“That was fun,” Jala says. “Thanks for convincing me to give it a try.”
“You’re welcome!” Takua replies. “It’s so cool being out at sea like that, I think.”
Jala nods, smiling. “Now… what’re we gonna do with the rest of today?”

––––––––––

A Personal Mission (Past 2-2)

In days long past… Takua and Jala make their way back through Ta-Metru.
“So, you said you left the Toa to go into the Archives?” Jala asks.
“Yes! Apparently there was some leak that needed immediate tending to? That was a couple days ago… I sure hope they didn’t get lost…”
––

“Not lost, exactly.” The two Matoran turn to see Toa Vakama walking towards them. “But we did have an adventure, for sure.”
“Vakama!” Takua exclaims excitedly.
The Toa smiles. “I’m glad I found you, Takua. I have a… personal mission, and I want you to come.”
––

“A personal mission?” Takua inquires as Vakama begins walking.
“Yes,” Vakama replies. “I want to go see if Toa Lhikan’s greatblades are still where we left them…”
––

The trio walk to the building where Takua and Vakama had quietly exited weeks ago. Entering through the same hatch, they find the collection pool to be emptier than previously… and sure enough, Lhikan’s greatblades still rest on the ground, in board form.
“Yes!” Vakama says. “They’re still here.”
––

Stowing the board on his back, Vakama leads the two out of the building.
“So,” Jala begins, “what happened to Toa Lhikan…?”
Vakama sighs. “He sent us down the Protodermis flow on his board, staying back to fend off that Dark Hunter…”
“Is he…”
“No!” Vakama exclaims. “He can’t be… he must be alive."
––

The trio reach Vakama’s old forge. A delivery of fresh disks sits undisturbed by his work station. Vakama takes off the board and sets it against the wall.
“He’s out there. I just know it,” Vakama says. “And we’ll find him.”
“I believe in you,” Takua says, smiling. “I know you’ll find him! And then we’ll have seven Toa!”
––

“Thank you, Takua.” Vakama turns to face the two. “And thank you for coming with me. Now, I’m off to patrol the Metru. But in a few days… we’re planning on making our first official public appearance at the Victory Day celebration."
“At last!” Takua exclaims. “You’ll be heralded as the heroes you are!”
“Yes…” Vakama nods. "So until then… farewell!”

––––––––––

The Big Day (Past 2-3)

In days long past… “Jala! Jala!” Takua exclaims as he runs towards his friend. “Today’s the day!”
Jala laughs. “I know, Takua, I know. It’s not every day the whole city gets a day of rest.”
––

Takua reaches Jala, his excitement barely contained. “The Toa, they’re gonna officially announce themselves today!”
Jala nods. “Today will certainly be a Victory Day to remember.”
––

“Turaga Dume will recognize them as Metru Nui’s new protectors,” Takua says excitedly, “and the whole city will celebrate their achievements. And then I can become their official Chronicler!”
“Hey, let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet,” Jala replies, placing a hand on Takua’s shoulder. “I—”
“Look!” Takua points to a nearby viewscreen, towering above the local buildings, as it flickers to life. “The Turaga is making his announcement now!”
––

Sure enough, the iconic image of Turaga Dume’s face appears on the screen.
“Citizens of Metru Nui,” he begins, “it is time to once again gather for a Victory Day celebration. All Matoran who are able should begin going to the Great Coliseum. Festivities will commence in two hours time.“
––

As the viewscreen flickers off, Takua’s excitement bursts forth.
“C’mon Jala, let’s go!!!” He turns and starts dashing off towards the Great Coliseum.
“Hey hey, wait up!” Jala calls after him. “We’ve got plenty of time, Akilini-head!”

––––––––––

To the Coliseum (Past 2-4)

In days long past… The two Ta-Matoran reach the grand plaza surrounding the Great Coliseum. Matoran from all six Metru stream in from every which way.
“Oh gosh, this is gonna be so good,” Takua says, every step full of his excitement. “They’re gonna be great!”
––

“You really believe in them, huh?” Jala says.
Takua stops, turning to face his friend. “Of course I do, Jala."
“I have to admit… until meeting Vakama the other day, I wasn’t totally sure if they were real.”
––

Matoran continue to walk past the pair, shepherded by Vahki.
“Well, I guess if you’d never seen them, that would make sense,” Takua concedes. “But I’ve been with them this whole time. They defeated the Morbuzahk, found the Great Disks. And they’ve saved many, many Matoran. They’re true Toa-heroes, as Matau would say.”
––

“Takua!” The pair turn to see Maku walking their way, accompanied by Huki.
“Maku, Huki!” Takua says joyously. “Oh boy, this day just gets better and better!”
“Well, you’re sure excited,” Huki remarks with a chuckle.
––

Jala laughs. “He’s so excited he worked his whole workshift the last few days just so he wouldn’t get in trouble with the Vahki and risk missing the festivities.”
“I couldn’t miss seeing the Toa’s official introduction!” Takua grins.
“Official introduction?” Huki looks at Takua, intrigued.
“Yeah! The Toa Metru are gonna present the Great Disks to Turaga Dume today. It’ll be their big official debut for the whole city to see!”
“Well, no wonder you’re so fired up,” Maku replies.
––

“Festivities will begin in 1 hour,” the voice of Turaga Dume booms out over the plaza.
“Oh gosh, let’s go!” Takua exclaims. “We don’t wanna be late!” And with that, the group walk toward the gates of the Coliseum.
“I can’t wait to see the Toa for myself,” Maku says.
“I’m interested to see them too,” Jala agrees.
“I hope they put on a good show,” Huki adds.
Takua beams, surrounded by friends and ready to see his heroes at last be recognized by the city. “This is gonna be great!”

––––––––––

A Botched Debut (Past 2-5)

In days long past… Takua sits among his friends in the stands of the Great Coliseum, enjoying the Victory Day festivities. Akilini matches, parades… with each passing event, Takua’s excitement grows.
––

Sure enough, just before Turaga Dume can begin his closing speech, six figures enter the arena below. Excited murmurs sweep across the stands as Matoran gaze in wonder.
––

Takua stands up out of his seat and cries out “All hail the Toa Metru, newest defenders of Metru Nui!” The crowd erupts in raucous applause.
––

Turaga Dume gazes down at the assembled Toa, motioning for the crowd to quiet.
“Ahh, Vakama…” he begins. “Have you come to deliver the Mask of Time?”
Vakama shakes his head. “My apologies, great Turaga, but I have not had time to work on it. For I and my fellow Toa have been occupied obtaining the Great Disks, and defeating the Morbuzakh!”
––

“Mere trinkets are not proof of Toa,” Turaga Dume booms. “And the Morbuzakh were defeated by the Vahki.” The crowd grows tense as the Turaga sows seeds of doubt in their minds.
––

“That’s not true!” Takua exclaims with dismay. “The Toa defeated the Morbuzakh, I know it!!”
––

“And what of our city’s true hero, Toa Lhikan?” the Turaga continues. “I suspect you lot had something to do with his absence! Guards, seize those pretenders!”
“No!!” Takua cries over the jeering of the crowd.
“Quiet, Takua,” Jala warns, “or you’ll be in trouble too!”
––

Matoran guards and Vahki surround the six Toa.
“Don’t hurt the Matoran!” Vakama yells.
“What do we do?” Nuju asks.
“Run, Toa, run!” Takua yells, standing out of his seat.
“Takua,” Maku urges, “sit down!”
The crowd watches as Vakama grabs Nokama and escapes with his disk launcher’s jetpack function, followed by Matau. The other three Toa surrender themselves to the Vahki.
––

“The festivities are over," Dume’s voice rings out. “Please proceed to the exits in an orderly fashion. Do not fear these Toa imposters, they will be dealt with.”
As the crowd exits, Takua stands in disbelief.
“They’re not villains,” he insists.
“Whatever the case,” Jala says, “it’s time to leave.”

––––––––––––––––––––

The Toa Metru make their big debut… and it doesn’t go well. I wonder why Dume would try to discredit the Toa, hmmmm? (We all know why, of course. But they don’t know yet.) What will Takua do now that his new idols have been publicly decried as criminals?

Previous Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 1: The Quest for the Toa (Sections 3 & 4)

Next Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 2)

8 Likes

I like the Matoran you made for the crowd. They’re really neat!

2 Likes

Thank you!! My big secret: reusing torsos😂
(Though a few of the matoran you see in the crowd will be of more significance later on down the line :eyes::eyes::eyes:)

3 Likes

this is fun

2 Likes

Ooh a sequel. Very nice, now what will Takua do?

1 Like

Indeed!
As of how I’ve conceived it now, there will be 5 parts for the Past storyline. (Currently doing the pics for part 3, and writing up parts 3 and 4.) Then the Present storyline will be… a lot longer, hahaha.

But yes, what will Takua do indeed? All I can say now is his actions will help change the course of events. The big deviations from canon are coming soon :eyes:

3 Likes

oho that’ll be interesting!

Another great section! I particularly like the image of Turaga Dume on television. How did you make it? I think it was a combination of a carpet placed in background of the original photo and stripes overlaid over the image in an image editor, but I could easily be wrong.

I have a couple other questions concerning New Light Alternate Universe.

Since there is Past storyline, and Present storyline, will there be Future storyline?

Will the significant members of the crowd include the somewhat terrifying looking Ga-Matoran (the one with the long neck)?

2 Likes

I used a nifty little app called Analog Lab. It allowed me to add a ‘scan line’ overlay, to get that screen-like effect! (It’s actually really sweet, has a bunch of effect filters you can set the level for, and lets you mix and match it’s various features to create your own custom filters.) And using a fairly textured blanket as my default background definitely also lent a little extra grain to the look.

There will be a Present storyline! Over on Instagram, I’m actually telling the Past and Present stories simultaneously (as a result of just sorta starting my AU without a super detailed story map and figuring it out from there, ahahaha). Regarding a Future storyline… that’ll be dependent on the Present story. Whereas I have the broad strokes for the Past storyline figured out from start to finish (the fact that it’ll lead right into the Present definitely helps), the Present storyline has no definitive ending in mind yet. I have big moments, conflicts, and themes in mind, but the actual plot is very much a WIP.
For example: I have a big siege battle planned for Part 5 of the present storyline, which I’ve known was the plan for months. I knew how it would be started (Character A would goad Character B into starting the siege on the city) but I didn’t know the why, the motivation behind the character choices that lead to it. It wasn’t until just yesterday when the why came to me and I thought "oh yeah, Character A would do this because reason, that makes sense.) So with an undefined length to the Present Storyline, I have no plans for a Future storyline.

Unfortunately, as of now, the long-necked Ga-Matoran is just an extra.
Here’s a hint: keep an eye out for a certain Orange Pakari, as well as a Matoran who’s entirely silver and gray, hehe.

3 Likes