(NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 2)

With the Toa in danger, Takua makes a choice that will shape his future– and perhaps the future of many, many things…

––––––––––––––––––––
Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape

Section 2: On the Run
––––––––––

Breaking Away (Past 2-6)

In days long past… “It’s outrageous!” Takua and Jala stand outside Jala’s home, with Takua rambling about the events from the ceremony. “He accused them of being responsible for Toa Lhikan’s absence!” “Perhaps Turaga Dume was just being overly cautious,” Jala replies. “He doesn’t know what you do about Toa Lhikan’s disappearance, friend.” “But he also said the Vahki dealt with the Morbuzakh!” Takua counters. “He would definitely know if that were the case.”
––

“Takua…” Jala steps closer, lowering his voice. “Even if you’re right, and he’s lying… I’m sure the Turaga has a reason for it.”
“Jala, listen. Right before I gave Vakama his Toa stone… Lhikan said there’s been something wrong with the Turaga lately. And I don’t know what that is… but I can feel it too…”
––

“Well, speaking of the Turaga— look!” Jala points above to a nearby viewscreen as it flickers to life. “Maybe he’s going to call for your arrest,” Jala jokes.
––

“People of Metru Nui,” the Turaga begins, “in light of the three so-called ‘Toa’ on the loose, a city-wide state of emergency is in effect. All Matoran should make their way to the Great Coliseum, to ensure the safety and continued security of Metru Nui. Please maintain order, and obey the Vahki enforcers as you proceed to the Coliseum. Thank you.” And with that, the viewscreen powers down.
––

“See,” Takua says. “That’s not normal! The Toa Metru aren’t even a threat, yet he wants us all to gather in the Coliseum again.”
“That… that is strange…” Jala admits. “To order all work stopped again…”
“But why is he gathering us there?” Takua wonders. “Hm…”
––

Suddenly, the sounds of a Vahki patrol echo out from nearby.
“Well, let’s go and find out,” Jala suggests.
“No!” Takua exclaims. “I… I don’t think we should. We can’t go. We need to run, get away from them!”
“What? Are you mad?!”
“Jala, c’mon! We need to find the Toa Metru! Hurry!” And with that, Takua takes off. “Takua!” Jala calls out, dashing after him. “Wait up!”

––––––––––

Spirit Star (Past 2-7)

In days long past… The two Matoran come to a halt in a warehouse district of Ta-Metru, out of breath. “I think— I think we’re safe for now,” Jala says.
“Good,” Takua replies. “We have to find Vakama and the others.”
––

“Look! Up in the sky!” Takua points to the great sky above. As he and Jala look, a small, bright object makes itself visible amidst the glare of the twin suns, streaking across the sky.
“That’s a Toa spirit star!” Takua exclaims. “Meaning if we follow it,” Jala continues, “we’ll find Toa.”
––

“Looks like it’s headed to… Po-Metru,” Jala says.
“Gosh… that’s a long ways away…” Takua trails off. “How are we gonna get there?“
“Swim across the channels…?” Takua offers half-heartedly.
Jala shakes his head. “Wouldn’t work. The only way is to find a chute station and take a route there.”
––

Takua turns to face his friend. “Jala… I’m… I’m sorry for dragging you along.”
“I chose to follow you, Takua.”
“But still… I have a feeling this gonna get a lot more dangerous going forward…” A pause. “If… if you want to turn back… I understand.”
––

Jala shakes his head, placing a hand on Takua’s shoulder. “I’m with you now, buddy,” he says. “We’re in this together. Best friends, through and through. Even if I don’t know what’s driving you… I’ll follow you to the end, Takua.”
“Jala… thank you.” Takua smiles. “Now let’s go find ourselves a chute!!”

––––––––––

Chute Station (Past 2-8)

In days long past… the two Matoran finally reach a chute station headed in the right direction.
“Looks like there’s no guards here,” Jala says. “That’s definitely strange.”
Takua nods. “Hopefully, Mata Nui is on our side right now… let’s move.”
––

The Matoran scamper closer to the station.
“So what’s the plan once we get to Po-Metru, Takua?”
“We find the Toa there. Hopefully it’s Vakama or one of the other Toa Metru. We let them know what’s going on, then—”
––

Suddenly, the pair hear a clicking and clanking from behind. Turning, the find a a lone Vahki standing behind them.
“Oh no!” Jala exclaims. “It’ll bring a whole squad on us!”
“What do we do?”
––

“Takua… you go. I’ll stay here and fight it off.”
“What?!?! Are you crazy?”
“Takua, go! Find the Toa!”
“But Jala—”
“Go!!!”
––

Reluctantly, Takua turns and runs. Jala charges at the Vahki, taking it by surprise and knocking it down.
Takua dashes to the chute station. He quickly hops into a chute and is sent whizzing away.
“I will see you again, friend,” he says to himself. “I promise you.”

––––––––––

Beneath the Canyon (Past 2-9)

In days long past… after disembarking from his chute in Po-Metru, Takua follows the Spirit Star’s trail to the Canyon of Unending Whispers.
“What’re they doing here…?” he wonders. “I—”
––

“Takua!” Takua turns to see Nidhiki towering over him. Takua cries out in terror, but the Hunter makes no move on him.
“Why the sad-worry? Are you— ohhhhh, I see. One moment.”
––

Before Takua’s eyes, the Hunter morphs and coalesces to reveal Toa Matau. “Matau! What— what was that?”
“My mask,” the Toa grins. “Pretty sweet, right? Hey guys, we’ve got a Chronicler-friend!”
––

From behind some rocks step Vakama and Nokama.
“Takua!” Vakama exclaims. “What’re you doing here?”
“I followed the spirit star!”
“So did we,” says Nokama.
“So it wasn’t from one of you?”
“Indeed not. But it led us here,” Vakama explains “where we found a cave that seems to lead into cavern system of some kind…”
––

Takua follows the Toa to the cave in question.
“Alright, be careful Toa,” Vakama says. “We don’t know what’s in here, just that the Vahki were guarding it. Takua, stay behind us.”
––

The Toa make their way into the cave, following steps down into the dark complex below.
“What is this place?” Nokama wonders.
“Beats me,” replies Matau.
“Seems like a place that’s supposed to stay hidden…” Takua muses.
––

“Stop— do you hear that?” Vakama says. The group halts, and Takua hears a soft rumbling, growing louder and louder.
“What—”
––

Suddenly, the wall beside them bursts open, accompanied by a blinding bright light.
“Oh! Who’s there?” A gravely voice calls out. “Sorry about that!”
––

The light dims, revealing its source— the mask of Toa Whenua. Power drills in hand, he stands beside Onewa, Nuju, and—
“Toa Lhikan!!” Vakama exclaims.

––––––––

Reunions (Past 2-10)

In days long past… “Toa Lhikan!” Vakama exclaims. “You’re alive!”
“Indeed,” he replies, chuckling. “And I have been freed, thanks to these three.”
“What happened?” Nokama asks.
“Well, we were placed in a prison cell down here,” Nuju explains. “In the same cell as Toa Lhikan.”
“But then I used my Mask to command the hulking brute guarding us to leave,” Onewa says.
“And I used my Mask of Telekinesis to remove the metal gates and let us out,” Nuju continues.
“And once we grabbed our tools, I used my Mask to light to light the way as we drilled through the walls!” Whenua finishes. “So how did you guys get here?”
––

“We followed a Spirit Star,” Vakama explains.
“I used my mask to communicate with a herd of Kikanalo, who we rode to the canyon above,” Nokama says.
“Then I used my mask to impersonate Nidhiki and order the Vahki to disperse!” Matau says.
“And then we entered the cave, and here we are,” Vakama finishes.
––

As the Toa talk, Takua is drawn into a small side room by the sight of a large sphere, letting off occasional sparks.
“Toa! I found something!” As the Toa file into the room to see Takua, he touches the sphere, causing the top to hiss and open, revealing…
––

“Turaga Dume?” Takua exclaims as the Turaga steps out of the sphere. “What?”
“It is as I feared,” Lhikan says. “Are you alright, Dume?”
“I am unharmed,” the Turaga replies. “But the city is in grave danger.”
––

“Vakama,” Lhikan turns to face the Toa. “Have you ensured the heart of Metru Nui is safe?”
“Well…” Vakama looks away. “We… I wasn’t sure what the ‘heart’ of Metru Nui was… we thought it might be you…”
Lhikan shakes his head. “The Matoran, Vakama. The Matoran are the heart of the city!”
––

“The Matoran!” Takua exclaims. “The Matoran! Turaga Dume– the other one— he commanded all Matoran go to the Coliseum, for ‘safety’ or something. Whatever he’s doing… it felt wrong… that’s why I came to find you!”
“And you were right to do so,” Lhikan replies. “But the Matoran are surely in grave danger.”
“We must make haste to the Coliseum,” says Turaga Dume.

––––––––––––––––––––

The Toa Metru are beginning to realize something is amiss in Metru Nui. What will they do about this false Turaga Dume, I wonder? Are they ready for what they will find in the Coliseum when they arrive?

Previous Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 1)
Next Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 3)

9 Likes

Couldn’t help myself :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think I’ve commented in your previous posts in this series but it’s a really cool. I love seeing familiar but different events play out and the photo and paragraph combo reminds me a lot of old Biotube or the photo comics people would put on the custom bionicle wiki. Nice job and I look forward to the next instalment!

4 Likes

:joy: Typical Turaga Dume, working with Big Gatorade :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Thank you!! It’s fun to start things off in a familiar setting before things deviate wildly.
I grew up with a lot of old Biotube!
Kylernuva, Chronicles of Hydros… I actually used to take pics on my old Canon camera trying to make stories like that!

4 Likes

Ooh there’s more! Very interesting, that Lhikan wasn’t a Turaga…
Anyways the story is turning out pretty good so far.

2 Likes

Indeed, a notable difference. I wonder what the remainder of Lhikan’s Toa Power is Destined for, hmmm… (you shall find out soon enough, I can promise you!)

2 Likes

this is fun!

2 Likes

So glad to hear you enjoy it! Things will be getting a bit intense in the coming sections!

1 Like

Cool to have a story with pics to go along with it

2 Likes