Nui-Raika, the Aquatic Arthropod of Bota Magna (DuckBricks Fanon Contest)

8539_001
8539_002

(Credit due to NihilPersona on Twitter for inspiration!)

This is my second entry to DuckBricks’ Bionicle Fanon Contests, the Nui-Raika!

Clearly the long past extinct Anomalocaris (my favorite animal, fun fact) is what this model is based on. Originally I made this model for fun, but in the end decided to enter it into the contest. (It may be too 2001ish as it is supposed to be, I know)

Not very lore oriented or accurate at all, but I do have a loose explanation for the visual appearance of the Nui-Raika. (Very “retcon-y”)

A species originally modified by the great spirits to run test trials on early forms of kanohi, Nui-Raika evolved to have the shape of kanohi near their tails. When the Shattering struck, these creatures resided in large, hidden lakes on Bota Magna. “Blueprints” of this species’ modification were found by the Makuta in the Southern Islands, hence deciding to create a model very similar in appearance to Nui-Raika, and closely related to that of the Manas crabs.

Stud.io file: Nui-Raika - Google Drive

PLEASE NOTE: There are some parts that substitute for flex tube (or if you cut parts, regular bars/lightsaber rods).
The first pair is near the top of the image below (highlighted in blue) in the Stud.io file they should be labeled as “Rod Hole Filler.” (From KingSidorak’s part hole filler pack). If you build this in real life, a bar/flex tube should be cut to the length of 1 technic bushing.
The second pair is near the bottom of the image below (again, highlighted in blue). These are just regular 3L lego bars, if built irl, a bar/flex tube should be cut to the length of 2.5 technic bushings.

(Oh! and one last thing, the tube at the front of the head requires cutting, if you wish you can replace it with some other piece like a small gear or simply a 1x1 pin connector)
F9EE7FDE-5293-4EE9-97BB-D8C46FF3D8E9_4_5005_c

27 Likes

I knew what this was as soon as I saw it; the accuracy is really good. It’s awesome to see another Cambrian arthropod in this contest. This is definitely one of my favourites, both in terms of the model, and the creature it’s based on.

7 Likes

ooo looks great!

2 Likes

Reminds me of annorith from Pokémon

3 Likes

Looking good! I like the lore and how it resembles the real animal. Nice job

2 Likes

fun fact, Annorith was also based off the Anomalocaris! hence why it’s a fossil Pokemon

2 Likes

I absolutely love this. From what I’ve seen so far, this is definitely somewhere in my top 3. You’ve completely nailed the early Bionicle style. Out of curiosity, why go for that style when the contest is for Bota Magna, or rather, why go for 2000-2001 era Bionicle when 2009-2010 might have been more apt? Also why go through all that cutting flex tube stuff when both part 30552 and part 30553 existed in that era of Bionicle? I guess you’d lose the ability to rotate on the Z-axis, but you’d still have the X-axis rotation and greater control of it at that.

1 Like

Why thank you! To answer your questions, 1. In the topic, I say that I originally made this model without the canon contest in mind, but was eventually convinced by myself and some folks that liked the model to enter it, hence the 01 aesthetic. 2. the top pair of tubes is necessary, as the inclination of the 1x2 liftarm is needed so that the center fins can actually be placed under the shape of part 44139. As for the bottom pair, that’s actually a really good idea! But I don’t think I can modify the model now considering the entry phase has ended. (doesn’t mean I can’t ask! also to add onto that suggestion, it’s also possible to put a 4l bar through part 32174 to restore the Z-Axis rotation!)

2 Likes