Nuva Mask Survey

Bionicle redesigns were plagued with inconsistencies from the very start. Often it seemed the story was made to fit the sets rather than the reverse, and as a result characters would often undergo transformations that left them nearly unrecognizable. The Nuva masks were the beginning of this trend.

The Nuva masks seem to get a lot less love than others, and understandably so, given their sudden ■■■■■ in aesthetic. Personally there are very few I’d consider on par with or better than their original designs. So I’m curious to see how the rest of you all feel about them.

(Note all uses of Nuva refer to the original forms and not the adaptive forms)

Which six masks do you prefer:

• Mata
  • Nuva

0 voters

Which mask(s), if any, do you like more than or as much as its Mata form:

• Hau Nuva
  • Kakama Nuva
  • Pakari Nuva
  • Miru Nuva
  • Akaku Nuva
  • Kaukau Nuva

0 voters

Favorite Nuva mask:

• Hau Nuva
  • Kakama Nuva
  • Pakari Nuva
  • Miru Nuva
  • Akaku Nuva
  • Kaukau Nuva

0 voters

Least favorite Nuva mask:

• Hau Nuva
  • Kakama Nuva
  • Pakari Nuva
  • Miru Nuva
  • Akaku Nuva
  • Kaukau Nuva

0 voters

14 Likes

They ruined a perfect mask and made it by far the worst Nuva mask.

There’s a reason my profile pic is only the Mata/G2 design.

4 Likes

Accidentally picked the wrong one for the favorite poll I meant to pick akaku

You can actually change your choice in the poll as many times as you like.

2 Likes

The Kakama Mata and the Miru Nuva are my two favorite masks of all time.

edit: I also really love the Calix, Tryna, and Noble/Great Rau, now that I think about it.

They’re pretty cool because they work better on MOCs. They’re used less, so you can use them on a character without someone bein like, “Hey, that’s Tahu!”. Akaku Nuva’s pretty doodoo, weirdly organic w/ the telescopic lense. The Kakama Nuva, on the other hand works a lot better, cuz it isn’t organic and therefore unepic.

I think the aesthetic for the nuva masks was a tad too organic, I still like the Miru and Kaukau tho. Hau Nuva however eewww… anyone remember Pirex from the misadventures of Oni?

2 Likes

The Nuva masks would be tolerable if they even remotely resembled their base variants, but only the Hau and Akaku Nuva (and MAYBE the Kaukau) have any meaningful similarities to their Mata versions. They’re all weird and blobby and don’t look like they’re even made of the same stuff as the Mata masks.

Now, Metru masks vs. Turaga masks? That’s not so cut and dry.

3 Likes

The Kaukau nuva I thought was better than the original

2 Likes

I don’t really care for the Kaukau in general, but I tend to agree.

1 Like

So do I, but the original Kaukau sucks, so that’s not really saying much.

2 Likes

I know Kaukau isn’t that popular, but I personally loved it in Mata and didn’t in Nuva

4 Likes

Really? same here!
edit: those and the kualsi are probably the top three

I like all of the Nuva masks, but some of them (Mostly Lewa. Pohatu, and Onua) don’t resemble the Mata versions very much.

The Kaukau Nuva is just plain repulsive

1 Like

I’m weird I prefer Nuva masks to Mata :flushed: :point_right: :point_left:
My favourite is Pakari and least favourite Akaku just because it looks a bit basic, still like it though

1 Like