Ocean Above, Fog Below (Signups)

“The Great Spirit is gone. If we stay any longer, Destiny will abandon us as well. We must leave.”

Every day grows worse than the last. Rahi falls from the heavens and attacks. Monsters rise up from the swamps and seas below to take your homes. Even some of your kin have transformed into Bohrok yet remain, never teleporting to the nest. And now even the fog threatens to mutate you into unrecognizable freaks.

But is the council right? Are you really willing to put your life on the line just for the chance of escape? Even down into the black waters of the Pit?

May the Great Spirit bless you with a wonderful Destiny for this.

Game Explanation:

This is a sister game to Found In Webs, taking place in the same universe and timeframe, just in another location. Don’t worry, knowing the events or background of that game is not required. However, if you would like to know more and how that game could have potentially gone, be sure to read that chapter in my notebook. But like Webs, this is a game of survival, adventure, and potential untold horrors.

You are all Matoran, many of which have lived in Karda Nui for about the last thousand years or so. When the Great Cataclysm occurred, Voya Nui rocketed to the surface while the Av-Matoran caves fell below. These new giant stalactites became their home, but were soon challenged by threats the canon timeline never saw. The Pit was not merely flooded, but broke through the robot until it fell into the bottom of Karda Nui. With it, in addition to the hole from Voya Nui, the radioactive waters flooded Karda Nui. Though the stalactite villages are still far above the ocean beneath them, waves of mutated monsters have been known to climb up and attack the villages.

Roughly a hundred years into this new existence, lava poured down the hole made by the Pit and sealed it, leaving only a smaller waterfall to continue filling Karda Nui. This lava also caked part of the ocean surface, creating a misty swamp. Some of these swamp waters are not as shallow as they appear and one can be dragged into the black deep. A risk some found worth taking due to the vegetation that took life there.

Though sometime later, a Matoran city from above fell and smashed into a stalactite, causing part of the city to break and fall further into the depths below. This was Mahri Nui, and the “repaired” Matoran were quite traumatized from the event, more so than the Av-Matoran. There was a rescue attempt for those that went into the water, but the few that returned barely survived their new mutations. Whatever happened down there, the former residents of the Pit did not appreciate the new city and attacks on the stalactite villages increased.

In the present day, it has been a thousand years since the Great Cataclysm and Karda Nui is growing darker. It is evident that Mata Nui is dying, but more pressingly important to the Matoran are the increasing radiation levels. The mutagen is no longer just contained to the ocean and swampy waters below, but in the mists and thicker fog. It is only a matter of time before the fog around their homes becomes so wet and thick that it will mutate them all. And those that have been in such fog have started to gain monstrous bat-like features. Between the plants dying, the lights going out, and the threat of mutation, it is time to leave. The only question that remains is how.

The Matoran council has decided that their best course of action is to send a team into the bottom of Karda Nui to scavenge for materials. With any luck, they will be able to use those materials to build some vehicle that will allow them to leave Karda Nui without being mutated. This is where your characters come in, Matoran who have volunteered (or voluntold) for this dangerous expedition. Who knows what horrors truly await down there for little Matoran snacks. Or maybe you’ll skip out and try to find a better solution, anything is possible.

Character Creation:

For characters, you can be an Av-Matoran or a Matoran of any element, aside from Shadow, that came from Voya/Mahri Nui. You can have your Voya Nui Matoran be mutated enough to be properly fixed/normal, but this can at the cost of their unique tools. “Repaired” Matoran can have their wild Karzahni given tools, like the canon Voya Nui Matoran, but do keep it within reason. Otherwise, all other tools and weapons that could be reasonable obtained in Karda Nui or Voya/Mahri Nui pre-Piraka invasion are viable.

At this time, I will only be accepting Matoran characters. However, if we get a decent amount of Matoran characters, I may be willing to open up chances to play something like Rahi or even former prisoners of the Pit. But for now, just assume only Matoran are playable as characters.

At least for now there will be a limit of one character per player.

Character profiles must include the following at a bare minimum:

Name:
Species:
Element:
Appearance:
Powers and Weapons:
Personality:
Background:

However, if you wish you can leave out Background or merge it and the Personality section together.

As a heads up for any interested, I plan on doing this one a bit different. Primarily in that I’ll be hosting it on another forum, a place where a few friends of mine and a couple other groups mainly played Bionicle RPs. Outside of lacking a doubleposting rule, the site rules of TTV are basically the same there and I expect similar behavior. Be nice, respectful, and all that good jazz.

So if you’re interested, DM me and I’ll send you the link. You can post your character submissions here and ask questions here as well. Though I am considering doing a duel hosting, one game at homebase and one game here, depending on how many players sign up in each. Let me know which place you would be more willing to play in.

Like with Webs, I am looking for at least five players before getting started.

7 Likes

Oooh! This is a very cool concept, and I would be interested in joining. Before I do, though, I have one question. Is there a schedule/specific time that the RP would likely be happening? And if so, when would it be?

1 Like

There is no schedule. Like most text/forum RPs, it’s more a laxed, respond when able sort of deal. If you can only give a single reply a week, that’s all well and fine. Though if I don’t see any response after two weeks and people are waiting for a reply, they or I may ping you asking for a response. Life is busy, we all understand that, so it’s just a friendly reminder.

As for when the game itself will start, depends on how many sign up. If people prefer a deadline, the weekend of Halloween (October 29th) is when I’ll open the game at the latest. The game can potentially open up sooner, and people can still join once it opens, the timeframe is mostly there to give a decent chance for people to create their characters.

3 Likes

Excellent! In that case, here is my submission:

Name: Onduc

Species: Onu-Matoran

Element: Earth

Kanohi: Powerless Noble Huna

Appearance: See attached images

Powers and Weapons: Excellent night vision and a great knowledge of geology. Is experienced with navigating cave systems, and no matter how cramped and complex they are he can find his way through. For tools and weapons, he has a few sizes of picks and a spear that fires plasma blasts for warding off cave Rahi.

Personality: Rocks are his thing. In about ten minutes, and with just rudimentary equipment, he can tell you everything about a certain stone - its composition, history, etc. Gemstones are his absolute favorites. He spends most of his time in caves, where he feels most at home, and he loves to explore them and get lost. He’s timid and shies away from both conflict and social interaction, unless geology somehow comes up in conversation - then, his desire to share rock knowledge overrides his social anxiety. Of course, although he’s timid in the face of conversation and confrontation, he’s as brave as anyone when offered the chance to adventure.

Background: Once, many many years ago, Onduc worked in the Onu-Metru Archives as a geologist. Unfortunately one day he was trapped in a cave-in. Though he was excavated in only a few short days, his legs were badly crushed. Since he couldn’t work like that, he was sent to Karzahni to be fixed. The tyrant gave him new legs that, surprisingly, worked decently. But still, Karzahni gave him a weapon (his spear) and sent him away.

Onduc’s life from there was pretty tumultuous. He landed at Voya Nui, where he lived for a while before moving to the new city of Mahri Nui. Then Mahri Nui split off and sank beneath the waves. Then when tragedy once again befell the city, and Onduc ended up in Karda Nui.

Character references:

3 Likes

Here’s my character proposal:

Name: Koska

Species: Av-Matoran

Element: Light

Kanohi: Kanohi Jaaga, Great Mask of Chain Lightning.

Appearance:

(The image depicting her firing an energy blast was originally intended to be chain lightning, but I think I’ll have it just be her firing a weak blast of Light energy, as seen in the Battle for Power comics.)

Powers and Weapons: A Power Sword that can be used to channel her latent elemental power over Light, as well as a jetpack similar to those used by the 2008 Av-Matoran.

Personality: Koska is often considered to be one of the more reserved Av-Matoran, often avoiding social events and conversation to complete her work as efficiently as possible. This has sometimes caused others to doubt whether she is fit for her job as a messenger, given her lack of conversation with the other Matoran. She can often be seen constructing weapons and helping at a local forge, as she has always had an interest in metalworking, despite her not being a Ta-Matoran or even having much skill. She has improved in recent times, and has even built a few weapons, in case of an attack on her village.

Background: Koska was a guard for her village, until everything came crashing down. With the arrival of Mahri Nui, she has been serving as a messenger for the different Av-Matoran villages, though the routes become more dangerous each day…

4 Likes

@RyanTheFilmMaker Onduc looks mostly good, though I could use some clarification on power level of the spear. If something were to be hit by the plasma, how damaging would it be? Are there any costs to using its plasma powers? As in, does it require concentration or take some energy from the users, etc.?

@DuneToa One main issue with Koska. Av-Matoran are unable to use Kanohi, so she won’t be able to access its powers. Chain Lightning could be considered immoral among the Matoran as well, but it can stay. If you are okay with her being unable to use the mask, then she’s good to go.

2 Likes

Not very powerful, all it really does is make a bright light and singe whatever it hits. As for drawbacks, I can say that it draws on his own power, so the more he uses it without waiting the weaker he gets. Although, given its low power level, I’m not sure it needs a drawback necessarily.

2 Likes

Yeah, no drawback is needed with that damage level. Onduc is good to go, welcome aboard!

1 Like

Name: Fukai
Species: Fe-Matoran (Mutated)
Element: Iron (Mutated)
Kanohi: Kanohi Crast, Mask of Repulsion
Appearance: Fukai has a bizarre appearance, being that he is mutated,
showing growth in his body structure, leading to him being taller than a normal matoran, along with a frightful number of mutations.

Powers and Weapons: Fukai has enormous wings compared to his body, along with sharp claws. His height has also been increased, and vestigial secondary arms have started to form. His wings can support him in flight, and his secondary arms can allow him to multitask.
Personality: Fukai was once a bright Fe-Matoran with a neutral personality, until he fell into the dark water. He, surprisingly, returned. But much was changed, and much was different about him. He became much grimmer and more pessimistic, in the face of unlikely odds. He can be stubborn,and quick to jump to conclusions.
Background: Originally a metal worker, Fukai had been sent to Karzahnni when his body was badly damaged from a workplace accident. Karzahnni was able to “repair” him,and gave him a new mask, but during the Cataclysm, Fukai found himself in Karda Nui when he fell from Mahri Nui. His original repairs were overridden by the mutagenic water,as he was overcome by the mist that enveloped everything around him. He was lucky that he survived, as others were not as fortunate as he.
@ajtazt

2 Likes

Yes, mutations are allowed.

Ok. I’ll take the mask power out. I thought I’d read somewhere that Av-Matoran could access their mask powers, but I think I am wrong about that.

1 Like

Apparently that was somewhere in the beta versions; it’s why all the Av-Matoran had unique masks instead of just recolors.

5 Likes

Ok, thank you! I thought I’d seen that somewhere.

1 Like

And now your character is good to go when the game launches.

3 Likes

There are a couple problems with this character and could use some revision. Why does he have a Crast? That isn’t a mask Matoran would normally wear and I find it highly unlike for them to have one.

The descriptions of his mutation are too vague, I need more specifics. Though I don’t particularly find his mutations to make sense. We are dealing with Pit Mutagen, we have a general sense of how far it can go with Matoran. I’ve added a bit of extra flare so the mutagen in the fog mutates them to appear similar to the Shadow Matoran. So if you want, and if the mutation happened around the swamps, you can have them appear more bug-like.

Though more importantly, with how you’ve described it, he should be a water breather. If he was pulled into the ocean below and has been mutated this badly, he would no longer be able to breathe air. You can add some breathing apparatus/water helmet or some other solution for how he operates on land, but it does need to be addressed. If the mutations are lessened, you can have them be a partial water-breather and only need water every so often (Aquaman/Namor style).

If you change the mask, or give a good enough reason for why they have and keep it, and do some additional work on the mutation, that should be all the issues. Though I will note that the other Matoran aren’t at odds with the Av-Matoran, they are all working together to survive.

4 Likes

Doesn’t Karzahni replace the masks of the Matoran he repairs though?

2 Likes

Indeed he does, and sometimes they are immoral masks as well. So it’s possible that’s the origin point, but then why did he stick with the mask? Hence why I gave the option for giving me a better reason as to why he has the mask.

Though most of the “repaired” Matoran we see have normal Kanohi. The instances of them having immoral ones are retcons, given they were just randos pieces in the art and later given powers. Then even later given the status as being immoral powers. Karzahni probably doesn’t care and gives them at random, but it would still be nice to have a definitive answer.

4 Likes

Tentatively signing up, but not sure how willing I am to get involved in any more forums. I don’t like forums all that much, I tolerated them back in the day, but TTV is sleek and modern and the rules are based.

And of course the gang’s all here as well

So if you do decide to run this on another site, I probably won’t be involved. But hey, with that in consideration, why not swing for the fences?

Name: Zy’aaglk
Species: Zyglak
Element: None
Kanohi: None
Appearance: Appears to be your average Zyglak. But if you closer, he won’t like it.

Powers and Weapons: As a Zyglak, Zy’aaglk has considerable strength above that of a Toa, the ability to scale the flat stone surfaces of Karda Nui, and complete immunity to the mutagen of the pit. Unlike his brethren, however, he does not carry any diseases in his skin, nor does he wield any unique weaponry outside of clawed hands and feet, and the slender, tooth-filled jaws adhered to his face.
He also possesses high durability to elemental attacks, but no special protection against more conventional weapons or energy not tied in with the elements of the universe (such as normal fire or lightning, or Matoran-wielded weapons which do the same).
Personality: Zy’aaglk hates Matoran. He really hates Matoran. But he hates the unknown terrors lurking in the dark depths below the swamp of Karda Nui even more. His tolerance of the Matoran is fueled by a dreading malice directed at the inhabitants beneath his feet, coupled with the Av-Matoran and Voya Nui Matoran being ‘outcasts’ from the rest of the universe… and also because the strange jetpacks they utilize have fire that, unlike elemental energy, can actually hurt him. In spite of this, however, Zy’aaglk is very bitter, and takes things personally, refusing to comply with anyone in a position of authority(unless forced). Unlike the Matoran around him, Zy’aaglk cannot (or simply refuses to) eat the same foods the Matoran eat, and survives solely off of devouring whatever he can from the slain inhabitants of the waters below.
Background: Every day was the same: eat fish, chortle with the rest of his tribe, and hate the Matoran. Most of the residents of the murky, mutating waters around the Zyglak were no match for him or his close-knit tribe, but one day on his regular trip to go yell at the city of Mahri Nui, the ground violently gave way and with a roar he was dropped down into a never-ending cave. When he awoke, it was to the sharp prick of blades from Matoran assuming he had died, and preparing to take what they could. A very bitter shouting match with the Matoran council later (in which he did nearly all of the shouting), and he was tentatively convinced to aid their cause.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to give Zy’aaglk a resounding no. Even with enough players, I won’t be opening up Zyglak as a playable option.

Though I’ll give some clarification here, and notes for my future improvement, since this seems to be a common point of error. In this timeline, Mahri Nui never existed in its normal underwater spot. When the land gave away from Voya Nui, it fell straight down into Karda Nui.

2 Likes

pov: your meme zyglak didn’t make it

https://media.tenor.com/-wrmUJrUbeoAAAAS/emoji-disintergrating.gif

5 Likes