Ocean Above, Fog Below (Signups)

I might sign up, although im about to go into my final exams and be really busy so its not likely

4 Likes

You’re still welcomed to join, the signups aren’t going to close even after the game starts. I doubt it will move fast enough that you won’t have the opportunity to join in.

4 Likes

@ajtazt I modified the character again.

true that

2 Likes

I suppose that will do for now, approved.

Edit: Game is now live!

2 Likes

Dang, I missed out, this sounds fun.

Any plans for a third one at the moment?

2 Likes

You’re in luck! This game is currently running, just on another site. We haven’t gotten far at all, on account of school/holiday/busy work season, so you should be able to hop in easily.

Provided you’re okay with going to another site, that is.

3 Likes

what site is it? Ive been in an RP off on another one before and its site was a bit annoying to use.

1 Like

can I jump in? I know it’s very late but…

3 Likes

It’s still open, but hosted elsewhere. If you’re fine with using another site, you’re welcome to hop on in.

2 Likes

ok so this is my first time rping but I thought this was just such a cool idea. any pointers?

2 Likes

Luckily, Ghid has written a handy-dandy advice topic right here on the boards.

No, I didn’t forget about the other pieces I was supposed to write for that Ghid. I realized writing through them that they might not be relevant to the style of play here and used System in Play as a testcase for that.

But as a brief, forum RPs like this are collaborative fiction games. We’re all authors in this story giving our thoughts on how we’d like the story to go. So to play, you just write what you would like your character to try doing. Make sure those descriptions are clear so everyone understands what’s going on and is being attempted; be specific whenever you can.

For example, you’re fighting some monster and you want your character to attack. You could write, “Amra swings a punch at the monster,” but no one has any idea where you’re trying to hit the monster or the type of punch. Writing something like, “Amra throws a left hook, trying to drive his fist into the beast’s jaw,” gives a lot more clarity.

Similarly, keep in mind where your character is located and the location of other characters in the space. We had a situation in the last game where a character ended up teleporting from the bottom of a lighthouse to its top in rapid succession due to a lack of clarity/understanding where characters were positioned. If you aren’t sure where certain characters and items currently exist in relation to your character, you can always ask for clarification.

As for making a character, that’s up to whatever you think would be the most fun to play/write. For first RP characters, I usually recommend whatever you tend to like most. Ga-Matoran are your favorite? Got certain personality types you prefer? Perhaps you’re more into their skillsets and abilities. As long as it works within the settings and rules, whether they’re a drama queen, a loner, or basically just a video game avatar to do cool stuff, it’s all fine. Just keep in mind that your character will most likely be interacting with others. You can be aloof and an isolated loner like Kopaka, but do keep in mind that even Kopaka would check in on the others and come help his fellow Toa out.

And don’t take anything in-game personally. If other characters don’t treat your character well, remember that it’s all just a game. Unless other players are talking to you specifically, no insult in-game and to your character is to be an insult to you and vice versa.

4 Likes

voya nui ta Matoran ready for character building!

4 Likes

Alright, so what needs to be done next is that this profile template needs to be filled out. I’ll fill in some info with what you’ve provided here and give some extra info on what else needs to be included.

Name: - What should we call them?

Species: Matoran

Element: Fire

Gender: -Canonically male, but if you want to change it that’s allowable in this odd timeline.

Kanohi:- Just to be sure, is it the mask they’re wearing in the picture or another one?

Appearance: - The picture is acceptable, though you can add more details here if you like.

Powers and Weapons: So what is that tool your Matoran has there? Does it have any abilities? Any other equipment or oddities they possess?

Personality: How are they as a person? You can leave this out if you want to discover that along the way.

Background: Their brief history before the events of the game. So were they always on Voya Nui or were they one of those repaired by Karzahni? If repaired, consider how or why they were sent for repairs. Where did they live before, what job did they do? What might they have done while on Voya Nui before sinking with Mahri Nui? And any other fun details like that. A full life story isn’t necessary and additional details, as long as it doesn’t give sudden reveal powers and the like, can be added/discovered as the game goes along.

3 Likes

Name: kauknis

Species: Matoran

Element: Fire

Kanohi:-volitak (not powerless but he hasen’t mastered its power.)

Appearance: - with a hunched physique and long arms, it is clear that Karzahni has repaired kauknis. his armor color consists of a mix osf yellow and red with a little bit of blue.
Powers and Weapons: a mask grabbing staff used in there time in the forge, the staff can also shoot low leveled disks.

Personality/backround Combo: once a matoran on the island of voya nui, kauknis was repaired by Karzahni. this would be bad enough, but additionally he was forced to help the mad titan with his work. when the
disasters struck he was one of the first matoran to start worrying. kauknis tried to upgrade himself with breathing tubes and filter equipment. However this has left him with negative attitude and a sense of doom and massive paranoia if you can breach this however, he can be a caring person. kauknis always carefully weighs the options when called to make a important possible course of action; this means he is rarely called to do this. he is also massily ambitious and thinks he will be the one to save Mata Nui.

3 Likes

Alright, that’s good enough, approved for now. I will note that, while the mask can be powered, Kauknis won’t be able to use its power. I don’t know why they bother wording it like Matoran/Skakdi/etc. can learn to use masks of power when they cannot use them period. The lacking concentration bit is such a weird excuse.

But you should be good to go. Not much has happened yet in the game due to life stuff with many of the players. All that has happened so far is that the council met, volunteers were selected, they grabbed their equipment, and have started climbing down to the swamps. They haven’t gotten far in their climb when Gavla came around shouting about some monster.

You can make a post in the game topic about them running to the site and starting to climb down. Or, if you would rather, I’ll ping you when the thing Gavla is shouting about comes into play and you can respond to it then. No cooler entrance than fighting some monsters to join the party eh?

3 Likes

sure just tell me when

3 Likes

thanks @anon46747862 for bring this topic back to my eyes, I’ve been wanting to do an rpg for some time now. i’ll start writing up a character sheet of the next few day if thats ok with you @ajtazt

5 Likes

I…

Maybe…
Just maybe…

Dont want to flood too much though so tell me no if you need to. Also, what site is this being held on?

3 Likes

@Eilrach That’s fine with me.

@wild_toa I send the links in PMs, but the link after the Feature Topic on my user card is the same place.

@anon46747862 Sent a ping your way on the site.

4 Likes