Official "Island of Lost Masks" Book Discussion Topic [SPOILERS]

Let’s ignore that for a moment. My point was, is it grammatically incorrect in the English Language to say they used the temple to summon the Toa? Yes. Just as it is grammatically right to say “Eljay is the current US President”, even though that’s not true.

I’m not assuming anything. I’m specifically arguing that we shouldn’t assume.

But it doesn’t actuall parallel te animations. It says Mask of Time, while the Animations only have the Temple of Time, aside from the random Mast of Time background easter eggs,

Early comic were full of swapped Toa Masks and other things, and lots of comics have dialogue going to the wrong person.

I never said they made a mistake. Just that they might’ve, for all we knew at the time.

1 Like

Exactly. Grammerical issues has nothing to do with it. It’s a POSSIBILITY, but we know it’s an incorrect one.

Hold up, hold up. It says they, and I quote: “The Protectors gathered in their most sacred place, the Temple of Time. Reciting what was known as the Prophecy of Heroes, they sent their prayers to the sky.”

This leave room for the possibility of using a Vahi, because it’s vague. It never tells us how these prayers work to make a beam of energy to go into the sky in the animations. The books do. Besides, the books and magazine agree, and if I were an attorney or historian, i’d go with the non-contradicting sources. Because the books and the magazine PARALLEL, we state it as fact. Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t parallel to the animations, because we know they add onto them with more info.

And yes, I know the animations show the Vahi Easter Eggs, but that’s not a point that excludes the possibility of the Protectors GOING to the Temple of Time to USE the Vahi ALONG with their prayers to summon the Toa.

A possibility, not fact. And even if so happened, it’s too late to use it as a refuting point. The magazine already has it’s friend, the books, to back it up.

How it view the relationship is a Canonical Trinity: they’re different sources, but they all make up one, all agreeing canon, despite different tones. The books, the magazine, and the videos make up this trinity.

4 Likes

Okay. I’ll give you this.

That wasn’t a point. I just said because saying the Animations do not have the Mask of Time is not correct. I didn’t want someone saying “you said the Mask of Time doesn’t appear n the animations, did you forget all the cameos?” So I clarified.

1 Like

Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make!

Like I said, canonical trinity: books, videos, magazine. All agreeing, but different with presentation. They all make up one, complete canon.

2 Likes

First things first, its called the ‘Mask Of Time’ in the books, so unless we get a G1 confirmed crossover - I think it might be best referring to it as such before this turns into a theory topic :stuck_out_tongue:

Think that is what has confused you all at the moment.

As for this quote, from the way the animations showed I understood it as the following;

The Protectors used a combination of reciting the mask of time (magic as demonstrated in the animations) and the Mask Of Time to summon the Toa, while the Mask Of Time is used in the process the Protectors seem to believe that the Temple is necessary for summoning the Toa. Possibly due to being told to use the Temple and Mask in conjunction as part of the prophecy. I’d guess the temple was made to amplify the masks powers to allow for Space and Time Travel capable of bringing the Toa to Okoto.

While the animations do not refer or visibly show the Mask Of Time at the moment, it is definitely an aspect of the story of how the Toa were summoned given it has been mentioned in books and several other pieces of media (mostly extracts of bio’s)

The animations do however show what appears to be the Vahi, which still has a possibility of being the Mask Of Time for Gen 2… though for the moment its a cameo only. For all we know that could be drawings of the Gen 2 Mask Of Time and it just happens to be identical looking to the Vahi - but we need more clarification on that.

====

As a side note reading through the prophecy at the moment its important to note it doesn’t say the Toa will be victorious and only really hints towards them reviving the Mask Maker. Nothing about them doing anything else - so after 2015 there destiny is unwritten.

2 Likes

where do i find the part of the book that has kopaka in it?

If this is truly the case, I’ve found my new waifu.

The protector of earth is my favorite protector set by the way.

3 Likes

Shoutout to piracy.

4 Likes

WARNING: Book spoilers:

Makuta is, apparently, awake by the end of the book. On the last page, Pohatu mentions that “Makuta is out there”, and that they must stop him now…

1 Like

Not sure how much story people want to discuss here - so here are my non-specific thoughts from what i’ve read trying to avoid giving away too much of the story;

- The entirety of the Winter and Summer storyline is covered in the books in 119 pages, ending with a hint that it will be continued in 2016 - Each Toa gets about 10 pages for there own mask quest where lore is added along with some world building - Masks get knocked off very easily - The Toa sometimes feel a little weaker than expected due to the previously mentioned mask situation - Skull Grinder is not named from the pages i have read - Similar to the animations, Pohatu seems to have an ability to sense danger/evil - There are many blatant refrences to G1 and the memory loss, some make the Toa seem self-aware of the G1 universe and roles they played - The Toa seem to have a lot of there information told in the Prophecy of Heroes including Kopaka's shield becoming "Avalanche Skis" and "Buit-In Binocular Lense" - Emphasis on the three virtues (Unity, Duty, Destiny) - Lots of charging at things, guessing this is a recurring thing in G2 - Lots more jokes or comedic moments than expected - The ending of the book likely wont suprise anyone too much and feels abrupt, the conclusion covering just two pages and feeling like its just hinting towards the plot of 2016's storyline

Its definitely worth getting the book judging via the 30+ pages i’ve seen and i’m guessing 2016 will either have a much larger storyline or a lot more world building given we get multiple chapter books that year.Though i get the feeling anyone following the animations online will have gotten pretty much all the main storyline this book portrays. There is a lot of world building and places and characters being developed slightly with personality traits including one or two twists such as the aformentioned female Protector Of Earth.

Also - spoilery book ending infomation + 2016 story/set comments;

The Toa (Tahu specifically mentioned) get new masks - its unclear if these are identical to the current versions. This along with the ending of the book hint towards Ekimu upgrading the Toa so they can stop Makuta which was from the 4chan comments a while back (The same place the Bionicle ghost set info came from)

Still doubt that the 4chan stuff is real, new toa forms doesnt automatically mean they are correct, but it seems a lot of stuff is linking back to it now. Maybe i’m just seeing connections when they are not there but it seems too coincidential with the name leaks, the set details and now the implied new masks and story information.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ending is just lazy. The whole fight (can it even be called a fight?) against Kulta happens in a just two pages…It feels so rushed and sloppy.

It seems we have encountered an odd scenario, where the book may actually have less details on the story than the animations. The books are more world-builders than story-builders. (That’s not a bad thing…just weird.)

1 Like

I believe that the books are supposed to accompany the animations.
They add more detail to the story and show us more different points of view while the animations set the whole narrative to the story. This way we are less likely to get lost in the story unlike in gen 1 where comics, books, serials and games entangled together and became a huge mess which sometimes contradicted itself.

4 Likes

Thank you LEGO for giving us official characters that are masculine yet female (Korgot) and feminine yet male (Kivoda).

I use the animations as a small visual representation of a larger story.

Also, THIS is comedy gold.

23 Likes

How do you know that the Protector of Earth is female?

Also… that moment when the books reveal that Onua’s claws are fingers o_o

It refers to her as ‘her’ and ‘she’

5 Likes

Perhaps a really stupid question but how is the book called :joy:

The book is called “Island of the Lost Masks” by Ryder Wyndham. (I hope I spelled the name right)

@Gresh113 thank you

1 Like

Seems like Kopaka is still mad about Lewa calling him slow.

3 Likes

Good thing he didnt call him out on his slipping.

6 Likes