Official RPGs Development Topic

Might I ask which one(s) you were not interested in?

SSSHshhShhHHSHSHhShshshsshSHHsssh

2 Likes

i’m down for this

2 Likes

I just think superhero stories tend to lend themselves well to the rp format. The two-player team one is cool core idea, but I’d need to have a better idea of the theme in order to get me on board. The train would also depend on the theme for me, though a whodunit story with one of the players as the murderer/plant could be really cool, and the conversation is just a lil’ too abstract for my taste.

2 Likes

I like the X mansion idea

1 Like

So that’s three (four counting me) people interested in that particular concept.

Potential RP GMs, take heed; all these ideas are free to use if you’re interested.

1 Like

i adore the train idea i think its really funny… : )

2 Likes

Me too, maybe someone could host something like that

EDIT: I’ve got a writeup for a couple of the ideas since there was some interest for the list

Worldbuilding: Superheroes are viewed as societal outcasts and possible criminals because nobody would actually want someone going around with superpowers without safeguards in place. Stereotypical government organization, housing those they discover to be secretly harboring superpowers or that happened to obtain them through one means or another. Would be treated as a prison/school/etc. rp setting, with characters having different motivations and beliefs as to what the organization intends with them and what purpose they have in being there.

Obviously no superpowers too ridiculous, but the GM could decide whether or not this facility is isolated enough that escape is completely illogical in case anyone decides to just gun it. Escape might be the primary objective for some characters, so a possible route for them to achieve that end goal should be available. And, of course, elements of intrigue and mystery if you want to make players really put their heads together to solve problems.

Worldbuilding: A bunch of teens/young adults group together at a specific ominous location on a specific night. Some are there to pretend they have friends, some are there wanting power, but the end result is the summoning of a few ominous entities with different motivations and skillsets which are then tied to those present. They must work together to overcome some incoming evil which threatens to destroy the small town they inhabit.

Each player would sing up with one completely normal human and one for the sake of illustration I will call them ghosts. Each ghost would have two or three low-level powers identical to the rest, but one unique ability specific to only them, and fleshed-out personalities and motivations. Whoever GMs will need to pair ghost characters with as much of an opposite personality in the human ones as possible; the bubbly one with the emo one, the rebellious one with the angry one, the nervous one with the prying one. Keeps things fresh that way. The small town means simply booking it isn’t going to be an option as there’s miles and miles of nothingness all around. Players should be expected to post daily so as not to abandon their playing buddy.

The gods have descended! except… They’ve really descended to the point where they’re trying to fit in with normal society. Whether or not they know their purpose could be decided by GM, but if they are kept in the dark it might be better for them to be mortals assigned to the position and have powers and roles decided by GM. Immortality means none of them ever really die, so there’s a lot of room to get inventive with what choices you make and what fights you pick. Motivation might be to become fully human or to return to the stars above, but it’s all or nothing nonetheless.

Each godhood comes with certain caveats and responsibilities, because you don’t want someone with super speed eliminating all other obstacles and the god of death killing people instantly because he feels like it. The god of Luck would be able to control the odds and work akin to the Calix, the Sun god could give off immense heat and light or use the sun as a secondary pair of eyes in the sky, and the Sea god could travel through the water. There’s a lot of options with existing pantheons, but the biggest problem is confining any of them to one point or another. Haven’t figured out a fix for that one yet.

@Chronicler @TheMOCingbird @Diero pinging since you showed interest

3 Likes

I could have fun with this with some Celtic mythology.

This also sounds really fun.

2 Likes

MORE thoughts on this in case somebody would be interested in running it as I’ve become more and more interested in the idea

A further extension of this would be that superpowers and superheroes come from slightly more realistic settings - powers are grounded more in reality as opposed to having happened with no logical explanation. If your character can climb on walls, there’s no radioactive spider - you’ve got to explain the nitty-gritty of how it works.

It doesn’t have to make sense with physical limitations, of course, but it has to look feasible within the confines of the story, and you have to show you’ve put thought into your powers - they’re not just a means to self-insert or metagame.

As for the setting, a proper x-mansion might be in order. With or without a map of the place so players know how to get around, and something to keep them confined - possibly having it on an island or including a super-strong enforcer to keep people from sneaking out.

And if anyone does decide to host this, I would join yesterday. Just sayin’.

3 Likes

This still sounds super sick. Though, would there be any main plot hook? Having most of the RP take place in one place might prove tough, but it’d definitely be unique and fun to try out.

And I already have a character/power in mind that I really want to try using again, and would probably adhere to those rules. rip EPIT.

1 Like

uh-

well-

y-you’d have to take that up with whomever decides to GM this.

EDIT:

I am now hyped for the imaginary concept with no precise details I came up with.

@anyone, it appears you now have four dedicated players chomping at the bit to see this in action (if the consistent likes are any indicator). If you’ve got RP experience, I’m looking forward to seeing your take on this setting.

1 Like

Seeing as it’s been nearly a month since the last post, I think it’s fine if I send another one. That okay? We good, staff?

Time to actually answer this question… With an example worldbuilding writeup!

Lugar da Morte - discovered by Portuguese sailors well into the north atlantic ocean, with its closest land relative being the Azores, is an island similar in size and formation to the infamous Alcatraz Island, which houses a massive underground military compound joint-operated by US and EU forces. On the top of the island is the large Mansão Enganoso, a three-story mansion covering the grounds, along with separate buildings for housing, recreation, and medical aid. Without a doubt, this is one of the most professional resort locations in the northern hemisphere.

Especially if you’re one of the gifted.

The governments of Europe and the United States constructed this facility to seek out and weaponize those with peculiar abilities, individuals who possess - in layman’s terms - ‘Super Powers’. Leaving this island only occurs if a certain individual was mistakenly taken, and after the immediate evaluation deemed useless. Otherwise, you’re here for life. But don’t think about such things; not while there’s so much to do to help you grow and recover.

Recover from what, you ask? An attack which did practically nothing to you outside of knock you unconscious, but gave the powers that be the opportunity to implant something under the skin of your neck. It shouldn’t be anything to worry about, of course; only those who step out of line have anything to worry about.

‘Lugar da Morte’ - Island of Death is a Superhero RP concept free for the taking. Players write in the setting of a military-controlled island base as unsuspecting members of society brought there to be molded into the perfect superhuman soldiers; defending earth from whatever threats the mansion owners decide qualifies.

I’ve left a lot of the details blank - the ultimate goal of the rp, what keeps players from stealing a vehicle and escaping, what exactly is contained beneath the island, if the project has any superheroes on its payroll already, and of course, what threats to these naive patrons - or perhaps the world - exist.

If I were to do this, I’d make a character sheet akin to this:

Name: Who do you think you are, anyway?
Powers: The unique abilities you’re capable of.
Power Explanation: Detail exactly how your power operates. It can have a bonkers origin, but try to at least partially ground it in scientific reasoning. The more homework done, the likelier to approve.
Appearance: What your character looks like.
Personality/Bio: Your character’s quirks and flaws, and how they got to where they are now.

Ideally I would say no more than two characters per player, but that’s totally up to you! If you want to run this by all means go ahead - you’ve got a good amount of people earnestly looking forward to it.

6 Likes

that sounds pretty cool
You should make it in real

1 Like

I think Ghib would rather participate in it than host it

And as would I

Because it is indeed a pretty cool idea

2 Likes

Like Aborbi said, this is something I’d much rather let somebody else run. Plus, I want to make sure I’ve got my full managerial attention on OA: The Dark for the next month to ensure it won’t stall out a third time. It’s got good momentum and I want to keep that going.

Really hoping somebody picks this one up. GMing is fun, but I very much miss actually writing in one of these stories.

3 Likes

Ah, that makes much more sense.

Do you think it would crash and burn if I tried running it? (the superhero one, not oa the dark)

better to crash and burn, than never crash at all

6 Likes

uh I think you have that the wrong way around…

Not to be mean about it, but yes.

Unless you’re certain exactly what you’re going to do with the plot, I wouldn’t recommend gambling on your first GMed RP being one with a level of experience subtly guiding player interaction, as that would be a huge focus of this setting. With every character confined to one island, interaction between parties is absolutely guaranteed, and not already knowing how to handle that means this could be a lot on your proverbial plate.

Not that you shouldn’t run an RP ever, just that this is rather high-stakes for your first go.

3 Likes

Ah ok. I guess that would be too much for a start