Official Star Trek Discussion Topic

Star Trek is one of the greatest sci-fi series/franchises out there. With five live-action series, one animated series, twelve movies, and goodness knows how many books and video games, its impact has been inestimable. So, let’s talk about it! I’ll start: who’s your favorite captain, what’s your favorite series, and why?

3 Likes

Saw the movie reboot. Not bad. Definitely a fan of JJ Abrams work.

I liked the first reboot movie a decent amount. The second one…kind of, but I had a lot more issues with it (I’ll add that most of them aren’t things that would bother you if you haven’t seen the original show and Wrath of Khan). I would say that the reboot movies overall are good action movies, but they’ve lost the spirit of the TV shows and older movies. Honestly, I’d recommend giving the original show a try, but the reboot is so different there’s no guarantee you’ll like it. :-/

Wasn’t a fan of the original series, but Next Generation is great. Q is probably my favorite character on TV, tied with Discord from My Little Pony, but let’s be fair, they’re the same character anyway.

1 Like

I’m a TOS guy all the way, but I like TNG a lot as well. Q is great. I love the episode where he loses his powers, and Corbin Bernson gives them back. Actually, I love all his episodes, at least on TNG. I don’t watch MLP, but I’ve heard the same actor plays that character, which is awesome.

It’s the same actor, and they act incredibly similar. John DeLancie was the perfect casting choice in both cases.

1 Like

I’ve seen TNG and all the movies. Loved TNG, the movies were a bit of a roller-coaster ride.

Yeah, the movies are all over the place in terms of quality, sadly. Wrath of Khan is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, but don’t get me started on, say, Insurrection. If you liked TNG, I highly recommend giving the original and DS9 a shot!

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple OTS episodes and just can’t quite get past the 60s campiness. The Tribbles one was fun though.

That’s too bad. Tribbles is definitely a great episode. Maybe you don’t mind the campiness as much when the episode is a comedy? Just a thought. But my DS9 rec still stands; I’ve actually come to like it even better than TNG personally.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll be trying DS9, Voyager and Enterprise at some point. I just have to get through all my other shows first. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know that feel. :stuck_out_tongue: There are actually a bunch of TNG episodes I still haven’t seen because of that.

2 Likes

I love star trek so much It’s a shame that most of the movies are kinda bad.

3 Likes

Hmm, I’d say it’s more like 50-50 as far as the movies go, but yeah. What’s your favorite series?

1 Like

TOS was pretty good when I first saw it but It has aged quit badly to be honest. I can say the same for the first 2 1/2 seasons of TNG but I still love TNG all the same. TNG’s movies on the other hand I cant stand other than “first Contact” their all really really bad. Now DS9 and VOY on the other hand are both works of art and love those two from beginning to end. I used to be way into VOY and it was my favorite for a bit but as of late I can safely say TNG is my favorite. Just for the record I know ENT is a thing I’d just rather not have to remember it.

If you were me just skip Enterprise Its not great to begin with and really tells you nothing about the franchise despite being pre TOS.

Edited for Double Post - WajKnight

5 Likes

You’ve seen even more than I have. I commend you, good sir! Personally, the datedness of TOS doesn’t bother me at all, but I can see how it could be annoying. And I think it has the most consistently outstanding writing. I agree on the early seasons of TNG. It’s very cheesy, but not as well-written as the original…not a good combo. But it definitely improved a lot after that. Yeah, the TNG movies apart from FC are pretty bad, and even that one is more of an action movie than a Star Trek movie. DS9 I 100% agree on, except for those 4 or 5 episodes that were really awful for some reason. I’ve only seen the pilot of Voyager and it really didn’t impress me. I take it it gets better? I’ve also only seen the pilot of Enterprise, which I thought was actually pretty decent, but I’ve heard so many bad things about the rest of the show that I never followed up on it.

3 Likes

VOY is a strange show I think fans are more divided one whether VOY is good then ENT and even JJ’s films if you can believe that. The whole premise of VOY to me at least is very plot device heavy but not a huge issue over all. I can see why you didn’t find the pilot to great trust me I didn’t either, the first season is pretty good over all and the second is even better there’s a bit of a quality drop in season 3 but not to to bad. Luckily in season 4 or 5 they bring in Seven of Nine. She was the sexy borg lady they used to boost ratings but I personally enjoyed the character and all the borg episodes that came out of her. I guess I could mention if you don’t like the borg in TNG you “will” love them in VOY.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to check it out one of these days. What if I do like the Borg in TNG? I’ve heard both high praise and utter condemnation for VOY’s treatment of the Borg.

1 Like

In case you care the character your referring to is Discord god of chaos or something but really they are THE same character.

As you saw in TNG the borg were rarely ever seen they were super secert and no one knew where they came from. In VOY 99% of the story is in the delta quadrant (the Borgs home turf) so you see a lot more of them and what other species think of them. Their are several episode where we get to see the inner workings of the borg and some people think it ruins the mystery. I personally have no problem with the insight on the borg we get since i’m a huge borg fan.I swear most peoples problem is seven of nine witch I DON’T get basically here whole character is Hugh from “I, Borg” but some much more fleshed out.

Edited for Double Post - WajKnight

4 Likes

I’ve been a Star Trek fan since I was 6 years old, when my parents introduced me to TNG. Picard is still my favorite captain, and the Enerprise D is my favorite ship (I mean, that is how you travel the galaxy in style). My favorite alien is ether those 4872 guys or those spiky forehead guys who have the honor thing. No ide what they’re called.

2 Likes