Okotan Adventures: The Dark (Signups)

You can succeed. But the window there is small.

However, Makuta’s having such a fun time you might not have to worry about that very soon.

2 Likes

So uh. In games and RPGs and stuff, I am an intensely tactical person. I never really addressed anything like that for Ilya one way or another, but I feel like given his background, he’d be pragmatic, yes, but not exactly great under pressure.

The issue is that I feel like my inner tactician is bleeding out kinda hard onto my character… and that’s bad roleplaying - roleplaying myself, as opposed to the character; the question is “what would [character] do in this situation?”, not “what would Winger do in this situation?”. Is this internalized to me or is it something I should actively try to fix?

3 Likes

See, I have the same problem but with intelligent characters. I’m always afraid I as the player won’t actually be smart enough to act and think how my character would in situations. There’s a reason I alway opt for characters that are better in the slashing department rather than the thinking one.

3 Likes

That’s not quite the issue, although maybe it could be construed to be the opposite the character acting too intelligent.

But I feel like it’s less an issue of intelligence - I created the character with the general idea that he was at least marginally intelligent - and more confidence. Tacticians are cool and confident under pressure, and I feel like Ilya shouldn’t be.

Honestly, with further though, I can probably fix the problem with better and more time-devoted RPing. I can frame the actions with less confidence, or something.

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re the opposite of the same problem. A different personality is a pretty easy thing to role-play, a different competence level is not.

2 Likes

Well now how are you going to live up to that

Well, perhaps military-oriented ones are. However I think you can still have a tactician who loses his cool every now and again. Ilya seems, to me at least, to be tactically-minded, but not someone who necessarily has the high pressure experience that someone more along the lines of Tactician might have. Or at least, he’s never had to run from a flying murder hammer before.

But I would say it is a problem if you keep injecting your own thought process into that of the characters whenever there’s a difficulty, like being chased by a flying murder hammer. Part of why I’ve (as I said in the star wars topic) write up 13 yr olds with trauma and grizzled old war veterans was because I had difficulty writing that kind of character, and I had only ever seen it done stereotypically or incorrectly. Best way to solve others’ consistent failure is to do it yourself correctly, unless you also fail, in which case go home and cry about it.

It’s a little late now, but next character you make, write up the personality to be something you know you’ll have difficulty playing. Something either above your league or below it. Challenge yourself to write better and more consistently, and don’t be afraid to ask for advice. Literary giants were raised by the firm critique of their immediate peers; nobody was born perfect.

Except, of course…

Definitely not the animator that made his gloved hand ungloved for one shot like an idiot

I definitely have difficulty writing characters with lower intelligence - or at least markedly lower intelligence. But I have enough big words to make myself look smarter than I am, that’s for certa-

no wait what I meant to say was, yes it’s so hard to make a character smarter than me, because I am such an expanded brain intelligentsia who is too good for this world

5 Likes

and that’s why all the characters i’ve written could be considered offshoots of my personality
jaawu - happy boi (i am happy boi)
boomstick - raging lunatic (like me)
my character for wild toa’s dnd campaign - white guy (i am white guy)

Respond to hammer time, white guy

1 Like

can’t gotta go play d&d

meanwhile my character is a quiet guy but he’s been forced to communicate because he’s in a battle

fun

1 Like

I’m gonna leave the outcome of this to be decided by @MakutaOisli and @Rukah if that’s ok.

2 Likes

Can i sign up?

i don’t know, Can you?

yes

2 Likes

Huzzah
gimme some time to read up on how this works, then i’ll…do whatever comes next i have no clue how this works.

2 Likes

lol if another character knocks Makuta’s gonna go crazy

2 Likes

So here’s a topic that might help

4 Likes

here is your fave
EDIT: this is very in-depth. What have i got myself into??!?

5 Likes

Say is it safe to assume Palios can reach the door without any interruptions?

2 Likes

At this point, yeah.

…But, Makuta can see now…

1 Like

You see, palios has no idea about him being able to see and the fact you would tell me this slightly concerns me.

2 Likes