Okoto Mafia: The Ancient City

Time for me to sit down and think this through.

Why not? Assuming you’re not Mafia, by your reasoning it seems highly likely that either I or Millsy is guilty. Assuming one of us is, if we both die, there will be 2 Mafiosos and 8 villagers remaining. 8/2 (4 villagers for every Mafioso) is better than 9/3 (3 villagers per Mafioso) if you’re on the villager’s side. Even in the event that we’re both innocent, the ratio would change to 7:3, which is still pretty favorable to the villagers and eliminates two suspects right off the bat, making Mafia members easier to identify. A double hang, by your reasoning, would, in strategic/statistical terms, almost certainly be a win for the villagers as a whole.

Pointing out how guilty you look is a great strategy to win people’s trust if you are guilty, as is appealing to your own experience. Just sayin’.

It could also be that, if Rise is a villager, he simply chose someone at random. Since there’s not really much evidence about anyone yet, one choice is about as good as another. What interests me here is that you accuse Rise of being a Mafian–thereby making Millsy look innocent, reducing the odds of a double hang which, by your reasoning, would probably be advantageous to the villagers–with no solid evidence, and an argument that boils down to guesswork and an emotional appeal to paranoia. Seems rather odd for someone who’s usually pretty rational…unless he’s part of the Mafia, and is trying to cast blame away from himself.

Apart from that, the thing that makes you suspicious (being prone to dropping slippery things) is the only trait on the list that describes a specific action–an action we know took place–whereas all the others are weird but don’t necessarily mean anything. For example, apparently “I” have some experience as a kidnapper, but we know nothing about the specific methods I used–I might not be prepared for a kidnapping in this particular situation, or perhaps my skills have gotten rusty.

I dunno, for now I’m voting for Millsy out of attempted
self-preservation, but if more people vote for Chro I think I’ll change my vote
back.

Edit: You know what, scratch that. I’m probably going to die anyway, so I might as well die doing what I think is the right thing to do. I change my vote from Millsy back to Chro.

2 Likes

John Smith: 4
Millsy: 2
Chro: 1
Yink: 1

Vote Changes Used: John Smith (2)

A little over 9 hours until the polls close! (10 PM EST)

-MT

1 Like

Oh.
I’m on mobile right now so I can’t easily go through and analyze your whole counterargument but I’m torn between how I don’t want to be voted for, and how I’m concerned that you might be both innocent and savable.

2 Likes

wait WHAT?!

why me? are we just going to kill every one off at once?

I’m innocent I tell you!

I’m loving the game so far, props to whoever came up with it.

3 Likes

I think I’ll change my vote from @John_Smith to @MillsyUnderscore, bit of a shifty looking little villager…

1 Like

I’m getting the feeling people are voting for me just because of my profile picture.

Technically, as villagers of Okoto, we all have the same mask, and thus, we all look the same. Also, there is zero reasoning to this.

2 Likes

That particular phrase was meant more for style than to be taken literally, but based on how quick you’ve been defending yourself, in the way a guilty person might, I can say it looks a little suspicious, thus you’re shifty looking. I’ll know whether I’m right or not by the end of the night though.

2 Likes

See, everybody’s on to us.

We both have avatars from Steven Moffat-run shows.

Making us part of the Moff-ia.

I’ll show myself out.

More on-topic, I can’t tell if @Chro is actually innocent or is just covering his back, but until he can give a substantive rebuttal, he’s still my top suspect.

6 Likes

insert long convoluted internal dialogue here

3 Likes

Well, I’ve been defending myself, because, oh I dunno…

I DON’T WANNA DIE?!

Seriously, though, how exactly have I been defending myself ‘quickly?’

2 Likes

John Smith: 3
Millsy: 3
Chro: 1
Yink: 1

Vote Changes Used: John Smith (2), Jowm (1)

-MT

2 Likes

I will not switch my vote; as it stands, @John_Smith and @MillsyUnderscore are tied in the voting. I’ll probably seem more shady since I’m going to support a double hang now, but whatever… they’re the two I’m most suspicious of and it serves the village well to take out two suspects with one hanging.

Innocent, though there’s no reason for you to believe me since it’s a game based on deception. :wink: Remember, same goes for everyone and that’s the point of the game.
You want a substantive rebuttal? I’ll bite.

[quote=“John_Smith, post:61, topic:5657”]
Why not? Assuming you’re not Mafia, by your reasoning it seems highly likely that either I or Millsy is guilty. Assuming one of us is, if we both die, there will be 2 Mafiosos and 8 villagers remaining. 8/2 (4 villagers for every Mafioso) is better than 9/3 (3 villagers per Mafioso) if you’re on the villager’s side. Even in the event that we’re both innocent, the ratio would change to 7:3, which is still pretty favorable to the villagers and eliminates two suspects right off the bat, making Mafia members easier to identify. A double hang, by your reasoning, would, in strategic/statistical terms, almost certainly be a win for the villagers as a whole.
[/quote]You’re right. I’m used to playing Mafia games with 20-25 players and higher stakes where player deaths are more frequent and less avoidable in the later game, and games where people think it’s extremely suspicious if you go for a double hang without good reason and put a target on your head… and it’s those tendencies that caused me to go against the double hang here. Note that I’m now supporting the double hang; this is a different environment.

Pointing out how guilty you look is a great strategy to win people’s trust if you are guilty, as is appealing to your own experience. Just sayin’.
[/quote]And also an immensely obvious one. Most of the people here may be experienced but I have enough faith in their skills of deduction as to believe that suck a trick wouldn’t work if I was Mafia. Appealing to my own experience is more likely to incriminate me and I was saying that as a joke.

It could also be that, if Rise is a villager, he simply chose someone at random. Since there’s not really much evidence about anyone yet, one choice is about as good as another. What interests me here is that you accuse Rise of being a Mafian–thereby making Millsy look innocent, reducing the odds of a double hang which, by your reasoning, would probably be advantageous to the villagers–with no solid evidence, and an argument that boils down to guesswork and an emotional appeal to paranoia. Seems rather odd for someone who’s usually pretty rational…unless he’s part of the Mafia, and is trying to cast blame away from himself.
[/quote]I do not believe Rise chose someone at random because of the other two actions he has taken: he said he wouldn’t vote yet, and after that he said that he used process of elimination. I did not say that Rise is Mafia, I said that it’s possible and that he seems suspicious.
If you want to keep critiquing my allegedly deceptive appeals to pathos and ethos… I suppose I can’t really stop you. :expressionless:

Apart from that, the thing that makes you suspicious (being prone to dropping slippery things) is the only trait on the list that describes a specific action–an action we know took place–whereas all the others are weird but don’t necessarily mean anything. For example, apparently “I” have some experience as a kidnapper, but we know nothing about the specific methods I used–I might not be prepared for a kidnapping in this particular situation, or perhaps my skills have gotten rusty.
[/quote]I guess that’s a reasonable point? In my experience the clues are usually just there for fluff since the one really important thing is the list itself and people just like to add reasons for suspicion to give the game more depth. You’re probably going to pull a “but that’s an appeal to logos because you’re saying you’re experienced and we’re not and we should listen and” so on and so on and think what you will.

According to Wikipedia it was created by Dmitry Davidoff in 1986 in the USSR.

4 Likes

Eats popcorn
Well this is interesting.

3 Likes

Alright, I’m back from dinner. Substantive rebuttal for @John_Smith will be posted above.

1 Like

So, when do the hangings start?

5 Likes

47 minutes until polls close.

-MT

1 Like

Hm, well, you’re either the real deal or quite dedicated to maintaining your appearance. :stuck_out_tongue: (FYI, I get the idea you think I’m taking this über-seriously–I probably put a lot of thought into it, but it’s all in good fun as far as I’m concerned. :slight_smile: )

Welp, @MillsyUnderscore, looks like we’re on our way out. Time…to die…or not.

2 Likes

Meh, goin w Yink

1 Like

I was taking it seriously earlier, as is my nature in these games, but in general this is most certainly all for fun.
Mafia is one of the only enjoyable outlets for my skills of critical reasoning and (when needed, i.e. not now) deception.
Anyway, you’re hanging, so… see you on the other side. :laughing:

3 Likes