Passing of the Torch -- A Steel Scales short story

Gonna keep this short.

As most of you well know, @prpldragon spent 4 hours working on a spectacular piece of art representing me in my Bionicle form. As a sort of thanks, I decided to return the favor in my own preferred artistic medium: writing. This story isn’t supposed to explicitly supposed to be seen from the eyes of prpl – I wanted to experiment with writing in first-person and keeping things relatively ambiguous – but you could take it that way if you wanted to.

This story takes place in my Steel Scales universe. Those of you who know anything about me will likely remember that I’m working on a series of novels. I’ve had little time for writing lately though, so this also served as an exercise to “get back into the game”.

Enjoy.

Link to story because I’m not reformatting this thing

11 Likes

I know nothing of your Steel Scales universe (though clues abound it involves dragons of some kind), but this was an amazing read… descriptive enough to form a complete and powerful picture of what was happening, yet not bogged down in excessive and unnecessary detail. It flows really well, I guess that’s what I’m trying to say, and as someone who (ironically) tends to get bored pretty quickly when reading, I can say that this story kept me engaged the whole way through. If this is you “getting back into the game,” I’m very curious to see what you produce in ‘top form.’ :smirk:

1 Like

Very nice. You have a style that does well with action.

I finally read this after doing nothing but schoolwork for like a week and I absolutely love this! I love your writing style; it’s easy to understand while still being detailed (which can be difficult to accomplish, at least in all the books I’ve read).
But wow that ending… it was so… :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11/10 will read again :slight_smile:

1 Like

All you really need to know is that it is two factions of humans fighting against each other: The Dragrim – dudes who can control elementally-themed powers and turn into freaking dragons – and the Terran – dudes from regular human society who often have varying degrees of cybernetic/mechanical augmentations.

This seems to be the most common compliment for my writings. Elmore Leonard has a lot of great quotes about writing and one of my particular favorites is:

My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: When you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip.

I’m writing a story about action, not wardrobes. I want to keep it flowing and make sure that what happens in the span of two seconds doesn’t take thirty to read.

Me too.

Case in point. Thanks!

So … what? Thumby? Looking to hitch-hike?

3 Likes

Advice I should probably take myself, considering every single thing I write ends up between three and fifty times longer than I originally intended it to be…

Also, I’m pretty sure Purple is trying to hitchhike her way deeper into the lore of your universe.

1 Like

She wouldn’t like what happens next.