Po Wahi Other Concept Art for G3

No, I’m not ripping off of Oomatu, this is my own thing. xP

41 Likes

There’s a weird difference in textures between the rock and the sand. Like, different than it should be. The sand looks like colored water.

I like it, though . The colors are nice, and the rocks look pretty cool.

I see what you mean, but the thing is, sand from a distance really does resemble water. :stuck_out_tongue: Here’s a real life reference:

So, yeah, mine is not perfectly realistic, but this isn’t meant to be exactly true to life, as it’s just concept art. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like @jayzor17 said, the sand is a but watery, but it’s also too smooth and lacking the dunes regular deserts have. It also stops right at the horizon in a straight line, which looks odd. Other than that I rally like the rock formations and what is probably Pohatu.

1 Like

@BBricks @jayzor17 Know what, if two different people are pointing out the same problem, I’m just gonna redo that part. xP Thanks for your input, I appreciate the critique. I’ll post the (hopefully) better version soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sand aside, I do like the colors here and the presentation of the canyons.

I don’t like sand.

3 Likes

Its coarse, and dry, and it gets everywhere.

4 Likes

the sand just kinda looks like weird fog,but everything else here is super well done

Thank you for your comments guys! I appreciate the feedback, it helps me make my work better!

Okay, so I’m still working on another draft of this picture, but this is what I have currently. Right now @LQ1998 is helping me to improve it too, so shoutout to him for his help.

I know the sand STILL isn’t that great–I looked up several reference images of different sand textures and it’s just a lot of work to make it look real. xD That, and since it’s both from a distance AND in a more simplistic style, it’s hard to determine how much to put in.

4 Likes

Hey the sand is like a kajillion times better now.

I like the shading.

I think I have an idea to touch it up a little more: specifically, try to touch up your shadows to have a darker inner shadow with a more defined line that then fades out some more. this is pretty well done on your dunes, but it isn’t as well done behind your rocky outcroppings. I feel like it’s nearly there so keep up the good work!

Okay, I can definitely see that, and it would definitely improve the sense of space Thank you!

can’t wait to see how it turns out! :wink:

Yeah this looks a lot better

Aright, fortunately the shadows were an easy fix. Hopefully this is what you were referring to, @Innodence

And yeah, this did help it a lot xD

6 Likes

system bionicle? at least it would get rid of what lowered sales
that art is awesome, btw :slight_smile:

Very nice. I almost did a composition like this. 10/10 for unapologetic originality.

1 Like