Post-G1 BIONICLE Canon Contests Discussion Topic

Yeah, fair enough. It would have been nice if a lot of the later debate could have been avoided.

The primary issue is lack of interest and history with the theme and characters. Not only is Greg one of the few people left with the company who had worked on Bionicle, he is the only one who had worked on the characters being visualized in these contests.

I suppose that Lego could assign “Bionicle powers” to another employee, or perhaps even establish a new line of contact with Greg specifically for these contests, but it would require active participation in the G1 canon from Lego for the first time in over a decade.

2 Likes

Time to send my resume to Lego and get Bionicle powers to canonize whatever I want

7 Likes

How would people like it if the Ghidonicle™️ contests started, oh let’s say… Tomorrow?

7 Likes

I’d try to participate in as many as possible. Get $10 closer to the chibi Tahu set, you know.

@TheJerminator I mean, there’s designers who take the time to work Bionicle Easter eggs into sets. But I do get that there’s a big difference in involvement level between, say, Tooth Dominos and Greg. If they wanted to do it though, would there be anything to stop them?

1 Like

It begun

7 Likes

It begun

8 Likes

Begun, it.

4 Likes

I checked the future potential contests. There does not seem to be Marendar? It was on the list back in february when these were discussed back then.

I’ve submitted my entry, but I noticed that it wasn’t included in the latest update of the Entry List. Is there any way to confirm that my entry was properly submitted before the deadline?

7 Likes

And just like that the semifinals polls are already up.
Can’t believe I made it into this round. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Very late to the discussion, it’s a real shame that this is happening to Greg.
The idea for a fanon contest is great, and it’s nice to see the community continue with creative projects even after this news comes up.
Regardless of how contests go in the future, thank you to Eljay and the rest of the TTV crew for being incredibly patient and devoted when it came to the previous canon contests. They had some rocky moments, but they were ultimately a gathering of creativity for the community, even after the series ended, and led to some of the best MOCs in recent memory. They would not have been possible without the TTV staff putting in so much effort.
Without a doubt, the fanon contests will lead to a similar outpouring of creativity.

8 Likes

Congrats to @Bukkey for the winning Tuyet entry!

12 Likes

While I’m not a fan of the gunmetal armour, every other aspect of the build and colouration are really good, and there’s no denying that this has been a fan favourite for a while (on these Boards, at least).

Ultimately, I can easily see this as Tuyet, even if it wasn’t my favourite entry.

3 Likes

Wait, there’s still a month left until Greg is laid off. Is it possible this could get his approval and become canon?

3 Likes

I understand how you feel, but I don’t think we should force it. We also need to consider Greg’s perspective. I mean, he has just lost an important part of his life with that job.
If he ever feels like canonizing this moc or doing something else for the community before leaving, it should be voluntary.
He is aware how much the community has done to keep Bionicle alive and how important it is for us what he says. He will probably do something before being laid off and even if he doesn’t, I believe we should respect that decision.

4 Likes

Y’know, what would’ve happened if the canon contests were completed? As in, every single possible character that needed a build had one? Like where would we go from there?

5 Likes

Then the canon contests would end

And we’d all die of old age

5 Likes

So, then things would be no different?

2 Likes

Galidor canon contest begins.

7 Likes