Post-G1 BIONICLE Canon Contests Discussion Topic

Following the announcement that LEGO Author Greg Farshtey will be leaving LEGO in July, after being laid off, the final Generation 1 BIONICLE Canon Contests have officially come to an end.

This topic is meant for the discussion of any further plans or interest that community members have in continuing any future contests, discussion about the future of the community after this news, and for anything related.

Resources:
Greg Farshtey Announcement
The End of the BIONICLE Canon Contests | Nak & Jay EP30
BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

All discussion must abide by the rules, guidelines, and the Terms of Service of The TTV Message Boards. Failure to follow them will result in reprimand.

Please keep the conversation polite, civil, and respectful. Thank you.

26 Likes

Wowā€¦itā€™s a shame it had to end this wayā€¦it was too sudden. Itā€™s sad that there are so many loose ends that will probably never be tied up anymore.

On the bright side, however, the winners of the Hagah contests are forever enshrined as the final canon contest champs!

6 Likes

Before I die, I wanted to see Canon version Lariska, but canā€™t. Iā€™m sad.

Thank you Greg for everything. I hope he can solve his problems smoothly.

11 Likes

Can I just throw this out there? What if we just do the contests anyway? The only real difference is that Greg wouldnā€™t be there to say OK, but none of us even saw him do that. Nothing else would actually be different, except that the winners might not appear on BS01.

Technically yes, I am proposing a fanon contest. But after the huge popularity of the last three contests, I think the fan response would be the same. Will anyone really say ā€œnope, Iā€™m sitting this one out because Greg isnā€™t watchingā€? Weā€™re talking about a level of popularity and perceived legitimacy that no other fanon contest could dream of. Why would we throw that away?

I think being the TTV-recognized winner without Greg acknowledgement is practically as good as being the Greg-acknowledged winner. Heck, many fans would probably headcanon the winners anyway. My point is, if the builders still build, the fans still vote, and some truly incredible MOCs still come out of it, and a good time is had by all, donā€™t we owe it to ourselves?

17 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll repeat my point here.
I think the contests should continue and explore new possibilities such as the Great Beings appearances.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious what people would think about the possibility of having a ā€œcommunity headcanonā€ contest be run. Weā€™ve been discussing it over at the DuckBricks discord and some other channels over the past couple of days, and would be curious to hear what everyoneā€™s thoughts would be from as many different Bionicle communities as possible. The contests would be run in a potentially similar fashion, probably with less restrictions, and winners would be awarded actual Bionicle prizes and be voted as the ā€œcommunity headcanon models.ā€

Made a survey and video on the matter and would love to hear peopleā€™s thoughts on this. Many thanks to Eljay and Meso as well for giving your advice and blessing on the matter!

35 Likes

Iā€™d also like to see the contests continue in a hopefully more relaxed fashion. Iā€™d imagine the loss of canonicity for future winners would help to tone down the, less positive discussion. (Not that humans really need a reason to argue with each other). And take a load of pressure off of Elijay and Mesos shoulders. Seriously you guys have been amazing.

Honestly, from the start I saw the contests as more of a building challenge than an actual contest. ā€˜Build the coolest canon compliant version of X you can!ā€™ And was disappointed I only got to actually enter the Helryx contest. Iā€™ve actually already got Tuyet and Lariska lined up. And, yes I could and probably would just end up sharing them as regular MOCs. Iā€™d also love to see how they compare to everyone elseā€™s designs in the eyes of the fandom. (And maybe get some cool fan art out of it).

4 Likes

Honestly Iā€™m fine with them ending personally, never voted to support them to begin with since I preferred fan interpretations anyways. It is sad to see these end but after some testy situations with the last few, perhaps it is good riddance? (And perhaps a relief on Eljay for having to run these things, considering how stressful I can imagine it was on him. I would know, I used to moderate the 2016 topic.)

1 Like

Well said. Iā€™m 50/50 on these Contests, because from what Iā€™ve seen, theyā€™ve brought out both the toxicity in the fandom, and the abundant creativity in the fandom too. Soā€¦

ā€¦ if a community-voted MOC Design showcase is something the fandom would love to have, then Iā€™m all for it. :blue_heart: I see it as more of a big talent show for beloved fans than a battle royale for who gets to be on top.

4 Likes

i would discuss it with you if it wasnā€™t eighteen and over

4 Likes

Wow, itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve been here.

On one hand, Iā€™m not too bummed out about the contests being over. I find that the joy of having characters without set appearances is that they can be whatever you want them to be, and the contests restrict that a bit. Itā€™s also nice that all the drama can be put to rest and TTV can finally breathe again.

On the other hand, it was the contests (specifically the Artakha one) that gave me the confidence to post my mocs here in the first place. Posting my creations, getting feedback on them and making them even better as a result really helped to get me through lockdown, and if I could find both the time and the creative spark, I would continue to do so again. Thank you to Greg and to TTV for making all this possible.

4 Likes

welp
rip the canon contests.
They were fun while they lasted.
though I really wanted to join the Tuyet contest, I had the moc built physically and everything.
I should probably get around to posting that

4 Likes

Yay no more extra spicy drama. I can peacefully decanonise all the Canon Contest winner MOCs, ESPECIALLY Bomonga one

The mocs werenā€™t canon anyway, only the artwork was.

10 Likes

If Greg is not a lego employee anymore, can he write story as a fan? Itā€™s absolutely OK as I see.

1 Like

To be fair, you could do that before anyways. The end of the contests doesnā€™t affect the past winners.

Unless Lego specifically bars him from it as terms of his contract (for some reason), yes.

He couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t read or write fanfiction in the past since it could have hypothetically caused legal troubles, but that would no longer be a concern.

Whether or not he will actually do it is another question though, especially with the new story that heā€™s in the middle of writing.

7 Likes

Iā€™m really glad that hosting non-canon canon contests is being at the very least, considered. I think that these contests would invite less vitriol due to the fact that all of the results would be unofficial.

Since BS01 is no longer a factor here, the remaining contests could all feasibly be FFAs, with artwork and mocs alike having the opportunity to win.

Well thereā€™s still this topic

And the youtube comments section

And PMs

And the survey

8 Likes

Iā€™d love to see some fanon contests.

But Iā€™d also really like to see ā€œcharacter designā€ contests or ā€œreimaginingā€ contests. This community got soooooo lost in the sauce over Metru torsos and armor colors and sword barbs. Itā€™d be so incredibly refreshing to see a contest where every pre-conceived notion can be thrown out the window and every minute detail doesnā€™t have to be looked at under an electron microscope to make sure itā€™s 100% whole-wheat, non-GMO, Kosher CANON.

Iā€™d like to see a contest where entries like those from @PoorDisadvantaged and @CZQ actually stand a chance in the running, because not only are interpretations like those technically impressive, but theyā€™re just phenomenal character designs.

Just look at these beautiful Helryx designs that were essentially non-factors because they were nowhere near canon compliant:

Or take a look at basically any of the Bionicle wave collabs from Flickr. Some of my favorite interpretations of the characters in a long time that go beyond revamps.

Everyone was saying ā€œwe can have more impressive MOCs once we get to the characters that are more unique.ā€ Well, I say why not have them now? And why not apply them to all characters, regardless of if weā€™ve seen them or not?

People have this very narrow idea of what Bionicle characters need to be. For a very long time Iā€™ve wanted to see something done that throws all of that away and really tries to elevate what was already there.

8 Likes

What makes you say that @CZQ 's entry doesnā€™t ā€œfitā€ the ā€œBionicle aestheticā€? That was one of my favourite entries in that whole contest.

5 Likes

Yeah, the TTV crew didnā€™t really approach mandating rules in the best manner.

A big issue with any sort of contests like these ever happening again on the boards is that, unless staff heads it, only masters can make them, and they MUST provide a physical prize of some kind. The canon contests had a far bigger kind of prize involved - the opportunity for your design to become BIONICLE Canon - and itā€™s kind of hard to match something like that with a realistic budget.

Now I would be willing to start up some kind of frequent contest with a much lower-stakes prize, like a LEGO gift card or something, and Iā€™d definitely change the theme up frequently, but how many people would be interested in something relatively low-stakes in comparison? Would it generate the same kind of turnout?

Itā€™s an interesting concept, to be certain. But I think thereā€™d be a disconnect between the people who like to build Metru clones and the experienced Flickr builders who build wacky enough to wipe the floor with their competitors.

6 Likes