Post-G1 BIONICLE Canon Contests Discussion Topic

I never said it did. CZQ’s Helryx was actually my top pick for most of the contest.

But just go and read a majority of the comments on that entry. It pretty quickly got bogged down by talk about the presence of barbs on the mace and her height compared to actual Toa sets.

Both very good points.

As far as turnout goes, I don’t think any contest can hope to match the enthusiasm generated over the potential to make your design literal canon. But at the very least, the desire to continue holding contests just for the community to have something to do seems to be there.

And you’re definitely right that, for MOCs at least, the disconnect between the elite few who can pull those builds off and the general majority is pretty large.

That’s not to say I don’t think we could see some amazing interpretations from people who aren’t the Flickr Overlords, though. There’s been a lot of MOCs on the Boards recently that I think still hit the mark. For me, it’s more so about the design and creativity than about if X character sits well in a line-up of official sets.

Allowing artists to compete as well would also be a way to make such kinds of contests more accessible. :smirk:

3 Likes

If we make the “what if” contest. I want them to be “the contest”. Meaning I do not want multiple small ones but the one centralised contest that as many as possible take part in. So it gains legimacy as succesor contest unlike smaller contests would.

And I don’t need a reward. Only want date and time so I can prepare my moc in time. Have a large amount of people see it and see how my moc would have done against others.

Tl:dr. I want a succesor contest with large participation rate. Instead of many smaller ones on multiple sites.

1 Like

So like, one big contest for all of the characters as opposed to individual contests for each character?

I feel like I’m misunderstanding your post

No; one contest across the community for each character, rather than a bunch of separate contests run by anyone who felt like making one.

There’s not much point in holding a “community fanon” contest if a bunch of other people are also going to claim that their contest winner is the “real” community fanon.

2 Likes

What @TheJerminator said.

Although the canon contests were sadly canceled mostly due to Greg’s firing, what do you guys think about holding a fan contest (knowing fully well that it won’t canonize anything) that would let us know who the winners would have been in the MOC portion and Art portion for Tuyet, Lariska, Zaria, Chiara, Orde, Nidhiki, Varian, the Golden-Skinned Being and Marendar if these continued regardless of what happened?
They can be hold here or in YouTube so the one with the most hearths or likes (without using 2nd accounts or anything to vote as well) wins while being reviewed by a council of popular Bionicle content creators in a Livestream such as Duckbricks, LegomationStudio, All-Out-Brick, perhaps Play Stippling? and more for the last verdict. I’m no expert in holding contests, just throwing my hat in to try and help the community after this.
The ones I’m more excited to see that haven’t got many models of are: Chiara, Varian, the Golden-Skinned Being, and Marendar. Heck, we can even try to find out how Lein, the builder of the Toa canisters, Johmak, and others from that planned list could’ve looked like.

3 Likes

If the winners end up at least in the trivia section in their respective BS01 page, I think we could have a good community fanon contest.

I don’t like the idea of using likes to choose a winner, I don’t think that really shows what would be the winner if we continue with the same voting method that past contests (which I think is the best way to chose the winner)

3 Likes

Whatever the community does to bring these back in some sort of way i’ll be happy, i wanted really bad to see those models being canonized. It enriches the world of Bionicle builds such as Krakua, Helryx, Arthaka, Dark Hunters, Rahi, Toa Hagah, Nikila, Miserix, and others.

2 Likes

Pretty much this.

I like contests, I just didn’t like the canon contests because they made things canon. I will say, in a presumably useless token of good will, that it’s unfortunate for all the people who wanted the contests to continue that they’ve been shot down.

Anyhow, I’d support further non-canon contests just for the fun of it, so long as every minute detail isn’t regulated and all the charm of imagining a character isn’t footnoted away for strict accuracy.

1 Like

If (and that’s a pretty big if) BS01 and other wikis were even willing to display unofficial contest winners, there are other things to consider.

I’m seeing a lot of sentiment that future contests should be more relaxed with the canon, and that just takes the results one more step away from “true canon”; I doubt BS01 would be willing to host such contest results, especially since they’d be unofficial.

I personally wouldn’t be interested in any contest that doesn’t strictly adhere to canon, and I wouldn’t want to see anything less hosted on BS01; we have the Custom Bionicle Wiki for that.

(Note, though, that when I say “strictly adhere to canon”, I will also admit that some of the rules of these past contests, and ones being discussed for the future, could have stood to be more flexible)

2 Likes

For me is the complete opposite. I liked the canon contests because they made things canon. That’s what really made them interesting and got me involved in them.

I doubt someone would be against non-canon contests (those already existed), but other than saying cool MOC, my interest would be minor.

What I would like is that we could agree that “new canon” is made by we, the fans, since Lego won’t be touching BIONICLE G1 again. That way BS01 could still show the “canon” version.

2 Likes

The issue there is… All of the major community leaders are at war with each other.

MaskOfDestiny and its affiliated groups despise TTV, the feeling is mutual enough for both sides to get into catfights on social media, and I don’t think the community as a whole is going to agree on anything any time soon, much less an acceptable fanon contest and deciding who gets to host it.

Plus, after the recent fighting I’m not sure anyone would trust either party to represent the community in any official capacity any time soon. It’d have to be a third party, someone as neutral as physically possible.

Well on Nak n Jay they mentioned something about Brickonicle returning… Brickonicle canon contests when

That would definitely be a unique avenue to explore. If enough people were interested in the idea, I might be willing to try hosting something like that.

6 Likes

Maybe like DuckBricks’s plan for a contest?

7 Likes

You’d wholeheartedly have my support.

No-holds-barred contest. Change colors, masks, parts, sizes, weapons, proportions, doesn’t matter. I’d just love to see what people can come up with as unique and different versions of characters.

Like Ghid mentioned, getting the entire community to agree on anything unanimously is impossible. It already was impossible with the canon contests.

I don’t see anything wrong with multiple fanon contests going on at once, even for the same character. That’s why it’s fanon in the first place.

At least this way different sectors of the community get to disregard the results of the others and don’t have to start a flame war because none of the results will technically be canon.

3 Likes

The thing with that is that … it’s sort of what people have always done?

6 Likes

Here’s my proposition for how adherence to canon could work in these contests:

Any detail that has a significant purpose or impact in the story must be represented. For example, Nidhiki must wield a scythe, because that tool dictates the way he moves and fights.

On the other hand, the fact that Nidhiki has green shoulders can be ignored, because the color of his shoulders has a negligible effect on his character.

Likewise, things like specific color schemes, and TYQ toa’s weapons (aspects of canon that are already controversial anyway) could be neglected

3 Likes

Like the almighty old one, @Shadowgear6335?

i am announcing i am official running for bionicle representative 2024 because why not

3 Likes

well, bioniclechecken’s version of tuyet has been the definitive look of her in my head for a few years now. i got used to it and a part of me was bummed that would likely change with the contest. looks like that design gets to keep its place for now lol

1 Like

If the contests are to be kept as fanon, it would be good to start a TTV branch reality of the canon universe, a TTV-official fanon.

This wouldn’t claim any precedence over other parts of the community, allow to set a coherent ruleset for the contests, and give a more tangible reward for the winners, as they would set the standard to a shared community ressource.

Kind of like the Marvel and DC AUs. It creates some form of canon for community participation, and with enough interest, it can shape the community more concretely than individual takes. At the same time, it doesn’t punch above its weight, and lets the uninterested do as they wish.

3 Likes

As I said yesterday:

If anyone and everyone makes their own “official branch” of canon, doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of having “community fanon”? At that point, you’re barely a step above everyone just making their own MOCs, which has already been going on for the last decade.

TTV could host their own individual contest, but it would be kind of silly to claim it as being representative of the community in any “official” capacity.

And that goes for anyone; if people really want to try to put together a contest that will “represent the shared vision of the community”, it needs to actually involve the entire community, not just one solitary group going rogue.

To that effect, the timing of the end of the contests was kind of bad; even just a few weeks later would have been better. We probably wouldn’t have gotten another contest in, but the talks between TTV and Mask Of Destiny hopefully would have developed to the point where community-wide contest infrastructure was actually in place, rather than just being conceptualized as it was now.

All things considered, the plans that were being discussed are probably the best way to do any future “official fanon” contests: any site/group could participate, and representatives from each group would be responsible for compiling entries into some form of central database.

The voting applet that was being discussed would probably also become necessary; there were already complaints about voting being restricted to a single site, and those complaints would be even more justified now that TTV’s connection to Lego through Greg no longer exists.

6 Likes