Practicality Of The Toa's Weapons

well, one more reason to like Kopaka!

4 Likes

As others have pointed out, density and heaviness of the tools can be handwaved by the fact that they are made of non-Earth materials, and wielded by non-humans. Besides, the Matoran Universe inhabitants in general, and the Toa in particular, are described as much stronger than humans- so Tahu comfortably wielding half a surfboard seems totally believable.

On a related note: my headcanon is that Toa carry weapons that can kill, but refrain from ever using them to kill (wartime aside) as a sort of symbol for their commitment to the no-kill rule of the Toa code. Especially since another big part of the Toa Code is transparency, they want Matoran to see their deeds in order to earn their trust.

3 Likes

Well, yes, if it’s two of the same weapon. Or two large weapons.

Dual wielding with a smaller secondary can be practical, but I actually don’t think there are any Bionicle sets with that kind of setup.

3 Likes

most of the Toa tools were described only as close to the magic wand.
It was rarely used as a weapon as it was seen.
In fact, it’s not just the Toa tool, same goes for other bionicle weapons.
Look at Sidorak and roodaka.
Arm Blade, claw. What did they do with them? Yes, they shot the beam.
keetongu’s shield? He climbed the wall with it.
(Of course he used it as a shield in time trap.)
Oh, the only practical thing as a weapon seems to be Axonn’s axe.

Apart from the topic , the reason why I don’t like metru sets, especially nokama.
A toy that can’t imitate what came out in a cool commercial video.

Originally, Gali’s hook and Onua’s rake should have been their hands. Later, as Canon was established, it was changed to their toa tools.
There was Greg’s answer to this. I forgot.

As a result, we have to go back to being a child who wanted to see super awesome cool weapon, not practicality.

1 Like

I assumed something like that, but it still seems kinda odd.

But it’s shown that Toa can manipulate their element, or shoot beams of energy, even without their “tools.” This indicates that they don’t actually need their tools to channel their energy. Then again, it’s possible that Toa can be drained completely of their elemental power, hence the need for melee weapons as a “backup” in combat.

…which also have a “laser” function.

LOL. Yeah, that is kinda what Ghid is known for. Not that I blame him for liking Kopaka. He’s a really cool character (pun intended).

That’s…kinda unnerving.

Okay…I’m no mathematician, and I’m not sure how the ratio formula you’re using works, but I’m still impressed. Now I kinda want to see calculations for all the rest of the Toa’s weapons. :stuck_out_tongue:

Come to think of it, there are a lot of non-Toa characters that wield weapons that would be near-impossible for a human to hold, much less swing around. It would seem Toa aren’t the only MU beings that can lift a ton.

2 Likes

From comic nr #1

We could propably conclude from that second text box that the toa tools helps the toa use their powers. While they can use elemental powers without their tools using a tool probably helps them control and manipulate their element better

5 Likes

@Tarkur is correct; using a Toa Tool makes it easier for Toa to channel their Elemental Powers:

3 Likes

There’s Mutran with the spear + sword combo, but that doesn’t sound especially practical either. Also the Matoran from the Karzahni set.

3 Likes

The least practical weapons are probably the Piraka’s. I don’t know how their hands work in universe, but a weapon that requires a 180 degree wrist twist doesn’t seem ideal on any level.

On the topic of Toa tools focusing the elements, this is bolstered by the fact that a Toa can pick up literally any object and chanel their power through it. Case in point, Nikila’s wooden staff, and most of the Turaga Nokama’s badge if office, which is a fish-bone trident.

2 Likes

As people recognized, the weight of Toa tools being much higher than human weapons is mitigated by the fact that, compared to humans, Toa essentially have super strength. The extra weight is probably negligible. Moreover, additional weight provides additional cutting power, so there is an actual incentive to use larger, heavier weapons. MU beings have tougher physiology, too, so more power is required to cut and damage them.
Dual wielding is another story. Part of its impracticality comes from the difficulty in synthesizing the movements of two blades; another from the fact that it requires much more room to use—making it a poor choice in the tightly-packed formation of armies.
Toa, obviously, are more of a one-person-army, and don’t fight in rank file (that we’ve seen. Such formation would also be poor for realizing the advantages of elemental control.), so they have room to maneuver with two blades if they have the skill. Their bodies might also be more coordinated in addition to being stronger than those of humans, and might be able to use two blades without them getting entangled or obstructed by each other. They are made to fight after all, so why would they have a weaker hand if it can be avoided? I think that isn’t too much of a stretch to say that it could be.
Then there’s the probable relative weakness of shields in the MU. Enemies have disintegration and heat vision and such, so in 1-on-1 fights it may be more practical for toa to defend with Kanohi/elemental abilities in long-range engagements, using blades to channel their power, and to have increased offensive capabilities when closing the distance (should they need to). Shields moght be rather cumbersome and not worth using in this situation… but I’m speculating, of course. Kopaka has a shield despite having the defensive capabilities of ice powers, and I don’t really know what to make of that.
Speaking of Kopaka, though, his double-bladed weapon might not be too impractical. The physiology of his hand might make a darth maul comparison invalid—perhaps he can spin his wrist 360 degrees like a helicopter blade (sort of like what Nokama does in LoMN, or grievous does in RotS). If that’s true, he could perform Maul-like spins and attacks with one hand instead of two. The additional functionality of skating away on bridges of ice would add to his mobility, I suppose, so that might also explain the strangeness of the blade itself.

1 Like

I think you mean disjointed.

2 Likes

Maybe she’s riding some off-screen creature, Dune-style?

13 Likes

I feel like she’s supposed to be using her feet as water skies but isntead of holding onto a rope tied to a motorboat, she has cables attached to… whatever those things on the ends of her weapons are supposed to be.

Still not clear what’s propelling those through the water. Even if she’s using her elemental powers, they don’t seem designed catch water like a sail. So, yeah, I guess it must be a sandworm.

3 Likes