Progressive Rock

Yep, I’m making yet another “any fans of X?” topic. X being prog rock, obviously. So yeah. Anyone else listen to bands like Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Marillion, Dream Theater, etc?

3 Likes

Sorry I didn’t find this until now (and apparently no-one else did ever) :frowning:

Not a big Pink Floyd guy, but Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, etc. are awesome bands.

3 Likes

Wow, it only took 7 months to get a reply! That’s sooner than I expected! :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, glad to finally meet another prog fan! :smiley:

4 Likes

Only Pink Floyd, but they’re one of my all time favorite bands. I’ve tried getting into Genesis and King Crimson before, but I always end up going back to Pink Floyd. If you like Prog, I think you’d enjoy Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead.

1 Like

I could never get into Smashing Pumpkins, but Radiohead isn’t bad. I also like The Flaming Lips, who I’d say are also in that “not-exactly-prog-but-still-kinda” category. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not THAT into Smashing Pumpkins, I mostly enjoy their bigger hits. Like 1979 and Disarm. If you’re a prog guy, I think you’ll at least enjoy the songs Cherub Rock and Rhinoceros. I think Radiohead is the best band since the Beatles. Every album is different, and their sound is generally out of this world.

1 Like

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Dangerous-Plant-Found-In-Calhoun-County-320577442.html

This is why you should listen to prog. It foretells of dangerous happenings!

1 Like

I listen to all but the last 2.

And as for my opinion of Prog…

It’s only the greatest musical genre of all time.

1 Like

At long last, another reply!

One of us
One of us

Got any favorite bands I didn’t mention? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, in the progressive rock genre, not really. Though there are other bands I listen to that incorporate progressive rock elements into their music, such as Ween, 10cc, Electric Light Orchestra, The Move, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and The Velvet Underground.

1 Like

Those are all neat bands! Some would argue that 10cc and early Queen and ELO are straight-up prog.

True, especially with ELO’s second album, and 10cc’s mid-70s songs like Une Nuit A Paris and Feel The Benefit. And Queen still had elements of prog after their early days, like in The Prophet’s Song and Innuendo.

man i wish you could double post in low activity discussions

Fans of prog should check out this channel, they do really great reviews of prog rock and 70s rock albums:

1 Like

Yes is a great Prog Rock band

1 Like

They sure are.

4 Likes

We can’t forget Frank Zappa, who’s music combines Prog, Jazz Fusion, Avant-Garde, Modern Classical, and Comedy Rock! His album “Hot Rats” is an essential prog classic, and extremely impressive for something that came out in 1969.

2 Likes

It was actually released the same day as In the Court of the Crimson King. Oct. 10 1969 should be a holiday for prog fans or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Why’d you make this topic after I left?

I have an ok amount of CDs and records but most of them are prog rock. Music Collection as of July 5th, 2013 - Album on Imgur The records haven’t changed as much, I got a couple more CDs recently but yeah. I got into prog rock probably around 2011 or so, coincidentally after my parents told me to stop listening to metal. A friend of mine posted on a message board how he listened to Foxtrot by Genesis so I gave it a try. It was odd, but it was interesting and I kept going back to songs like Watcher of the Skies and Can-Utility and the Coastliners. Then I started quite the exploration of prog. I’ll admit after being gone for two years I’m not as interested in it as I used to be, but man those were good times.

Off topic, but Siberian Khatru by Yes fer dayz.

3 Likes

'Cause I have bad timing? :stuck_out_tongue:

Your collection is really neat, though I have just one question–why would you inflict Calling All Stations upon yourself? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was like 2 bucks at a store and I didn’t have a lot of money as I was looking through. It’s got a few good songs, the title track is pretty sweet, Congo’s not too bad, the Dividing Line is by far the highlight. One Man’s Fool is tolerable every now and then. The tone of the album really suits what the miserable end to Genesis, haha.

Plus Genesis is in my top 5 of favorites if that wasn’t obvious, so I listen to everything. And Then There Were Three and CAS are probably the hardest ones to sit through though.

2 Likes

Huh. Admittedly, I know CAS only by reputation. I’ve listened to most-if-not-all of their other albums though, and even liked most of the 80s ones alright, so maybe it’s time I gave it a shot.

1 Like