Project Artemis (Lego Worldbuilder theme)

Hello everyone!

I started working on a Lego Worldbuilder theme. I would love a CCBS revival and took some inspiration from Bionicle/ Hero Factory, so my idea could be a spiritual successor in some kind of way.
Its still in early developement but I have a vision where it should be headed to. Here is a small introduction:

A long time ago, the Titan Artemis protected the island named after him by giving his life in a battle. He divided his soul into 6 soulstones to pass his powers onto his successors. His successors, the 6 new Titans defended the island against the evil, but one day the Titans and the evil disappeared and the Titans became a legend.
Centuries later the soulstones return to the people of Artemis to choose the new defenders as the evil returns, stronger than ever and it wants to take over the island.

I’m not the best artist but here are the first drafts I did:

The island Artemis

First masks of the Titans

Feedback is appreciated!

14 Likes

I really like this idea. It’s inspired by Bionicle’s story while being it’s own thing. Also I have an idea that the villagers would be minifgures while the Titans would be ccbs. The titans would be taller than minifgures but not that huge. Possibly they would have a protector build.

3 Likes

Why the name Artemis? It makes me think of the Greek Goddess.

I feel like there needs to be more work put into making this feel like it’s own thing, at the moment it just seems like a bionicle reboot with names swapped out.

3 Likes

I agree. So far it looks really similar to bionicle

1. 6 hero characters

2. island divided in 6 regions

3. Island shares name with a diety

4. Island has a similar shape to Mata Nui (I’m not sure if that’s a volcano in the center, or a building, but either way, it’s quite similar to the map of Mata Nui or Metru Nui)

5. Heroes have masks

That said, I encourage you to continue working on the project. I’m curious to learn about the inhabitants’ lifestyles and culture. However, I suggest changing up some things to make it more unique. Some small things could be changed, like the appearance of the island, and the number of titans.

2 Likes

I wanted to collaborate with someone on a LEGO World Builder Theme Idea, and finally someone takes the initiative. If you want me to, I could help you with your new theme by giving some of my ideas.

1 Like

@Axelford The name “Project Artemis” is a working title for me as I havent settled for the connection I want it to have to the story. Till now I chose Artemis because in the greek mythology she is the goddess of birth and in this story the soulstones are part of a rebirth ritual.

@ToaOfPlastic @Atobe_Brick I’m planning it as a 3 part story atm and it definitely should feel no later than the start of the second part like its own thing. Especially the locations of the map will have changed till then. I understand that it feels very similar right now and maybe I’ll change some things. Also I’m naming it masks until I’ve found a better description for what they should be so that connection shouldnt be there at the end.

@LegoDavid I’m working on it alone until I have the foundation I’m happy with. After that I’ll definitely come back to you if thats okay.

1 Like

This seems very interesting.

My observations and thoughts:

There seem to be many similarities to Antiquity and its Mythology:

Firstly, we have the name Titans and number six. Titans were the generation of the greek gods that ruled before the Olympians. I think that number six works rather well, considering that there were twelve Titans, and twelve divided by two is six.

Secondly, we have multiple generation of deities, a shared feature of both this and Greek mythology.

Thirdly, we have concept of apotheosis. Roman dictator Caesar was famously hailed as god after his death, practice which extended onto Roman Emperors, before him Macedonian King Alexander the Great, and before him the Heroes.

Fourthly, the island setting also is fitting. Beginnings of the Greek Civilisation can be traced to island of Crete, and the Greeks were a maritime culture, founding cities as far as modern France, similar practices were practiced also by Pheonicians, with even more land based Romans having overseas empire, including island of Britain.

Fifthly, we can find places of island in the Mediterranean surroundings. Forests. Mountains. Deserts. Volcanoes.

Is the connection to Antiquity deliberate?

2 Likes

@Skycraft
The artwork for the island is quite impressive!

How’s the project going?

1 Like

Thanks!

In regards to the project:
In some parts I was able to achieve more than I actually thought, in some parts I am still lagging behind.
I managed to draw more characters than I thought I would be able to. I finished the villains for part 1-3, I drew villagers for all four cities and I drew the map for part 1-3. That is more than I wanted to do till I publish the first part. In regards to the titans, I`m still struggling a bit to find an overall design language for them.
For the environments I changed to a 3d program as drawing them took way too long.
I almost finished part 1, chapter 1. I have to say that I thought that I’d be able to write my story faster than this. The good thing is that I have the foundation for the whole story (part 1-3) written down so I don’t have to think about that anymore. I also finished the lifestyle and culture of the inhabitants.

Unfortunately, the intermediate exams for my studies now intervened, which means that I cannot work on this project for the next 2 months. I hope to be able to publish chapter 1 as soon as possible after that.

2 Likes

I saw a few people say that it’s too similar to bionicke, and I completely agree. Try and add some of your own twists that can make it your own. Maybe try a different number of heroes? Plus, you should change the design of the island a bit. It’s s little too close to Mata Nui and Okoto

Also, I really like the masks, but maybe take a few more passes on them, just to make them all distinct and unique. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Can you show us some pictures of what you’ve done so far? Or do you want to keep it secret until you finish the whole project?

I love the mask designs. They’re all origonal and unique yet you can immediately tell what they were inspired by.

1 Like

Of course I can show you some things.

This is my latest drawing. It’s the “pet” of the main villain of the story, who will be introduced in part 2.

This is the island of Artemis in the middle of part 1. The evil managed to destroy some parts of it. The island will look very different in part 2.

This was my first character drawing ever and I think of redoing him (as I think that I improved my skills since this drawing). This is Nyx. He is one of the six new titans. His power is telekinesis/ power of gravity.
I used the mask designs (now it’s their face), I’ve shared in my first post, for the characters in part 2. Here in part 1 they’ll wear helmets
These are the only images I have on my pc right now, the rest is on my drawing tablet. If I have enough time in the coming days, I’ll upload some others too.

3 Likes

Very cool!