Project : Reignition Celebrates 8/10/21

Happy 8 / 10, TTV!

I wish I had prepared a super slick announcement for today, but I still want to reach out and talk about my stop motion project for the first time in almost a year. Ive been dead silent about it, contrary to how I mentioned envisioning the process last September. Lockdown’s been crazy, and it’s not the only thing. We all get it.

BUT ONWARD NO LESS. I’ve still been building, processing, and writing for what I’m currently calling Project : Reignition, pretty consistently I might add, over the past year, and I’m really starting to love the episode outlines I’m coming around to, as well as the scenes I’ve done script rough-drafts for. To summarize the project, I’m using satisfyingly revamped builds for most of the characters in the G1 Voya Nui arc of 2006, and animating them over what I hope to be pretty easily-constructed “CG” backgrounds and assembling them into what I hope will be an equally satisfying revamped story. I’ve currently set the series at 10 episodes around 22 min each. I honestly have no idea whether I’ll finish producing this whole series into completion, but I have a passion for Bionicle and it’s lore, and I have support from the community, that I fully expect to grow with time. I welcome any questions and curiosities about my process and my progress in my threads, as I’d love for discussion there to help me keep my main posts shorter.

I’m not satisfied with any new images I’ve assembled featuring my builds, and since I’m surprised after getting home from work to find myself actually celebrating my first 810NICLE DAY on the 20’th anniversary, I’m not in a rush to release fully finished images. I’d be happy to take, and post, pictures of any builds you’d like to see my progress on in the thread, as the main cast is fully assembled, aside from Jaller Inika, whose build is unfortunately at a friend’s house, so I can’t photograph his current state.

To blog a bit further : I originally planned on 30 episodes of the same length to allow me to play around with the storytelling through addition, but I decided I could do just as well to keep this experimental project as short as possible. I believe 10 episodes at 22 min totals toughly 3 hrs 40 min watch time total minus like intros and credits? It feels like an approachable goal to me. I plan on utilizing full voice acting, original music scores, terrible special effects, and as much help from talented community members as I can organize effectively.

Lately I’ve been enjoying drafting episode one’s script, which encompasses Jaller-and-friends discovering evidence that the Toa Nuva are indeed not on Metru Nui, despite the Turaga’s lies, and deciding to abandon their friends and duties to Metru Nui’s reconstruction to go on a journey to bring their heroes back. Here’s an excerpt from my rough drafted script of e1 to illustrate some of the tones I’m trying to accomplish in this series. The scene depicts Jaller and Takua meeting to relax somewhere quiet in Po-Metru after a long day of reconstruction. I might as well mention now, I am considering referring to as Metru City throughout my interpretation, so that’s how it’s written for now. Also, I’ve decided that Takua, Toa of Light hasn’t yet thought of the name Takanuva, so he’s still Takua for now.

————————————————————

At dusk, Jaller and Takua are climbing their way on top of a building overlooking Po-Metru, a week after the return to Metru City. JALLER chuckles over TAKUA making some sort of explosion noise with his voice

TAKUA:
Y’know what I’m sayin? Or that time I had to get into the village and you were still so mad at me for that fish I threw under (With an exaggerated posture and tone:)‘Your Quarters’?

JALLER:
You threw them UNDER my bed. You threw them into my quarters.

TAKUA:
(With his best impersonation of JALLER:) “My quarters.”

JALLER:
(Scoffs) While I was asleep, man! And why would I let you anywhere near the village with that dripping bag of scrap you found in the forest, let alone bridge control??

TAKUA:
See, that’s way unfair, though! Ya had your burliest boys on each side of the room cause you KNEW I’d go to control! Who was even guarding the West Wall?? (JALLER and TAKUA break into hardy laughter, then sigh it out)

JALLER:
Y’know, we always prepare for the worst, but… Don’t tell anyone this… I really thought this was gonna be a lot… different. After all the turaga’s tales of how cozy and shiny the city was back then… Well, I was hoping for something at least a little nicer than the island. (TAKUA oggles fondly at the sky while he listens) But this place is… whack!

TAKUA:
(Surprised at the word choice) Man, don’t get homesick on me now, buddy, it’s only been a week! Look, I know it’s impossible to navigate with all the streets and vines and… vermin, and I know it smells like Makuta’s armor. Trust me, I (Gesturing at HIMSELF) know. But this is our home now. We’re meant to live here, Jaller! In the City of Legends!! (With gusto now:) You’re looking at a new age of— (JALLER batters and shushes TAKUA, who trails off into a quiet giggle) Ow! — prosperity-

JALLER:
(Whisper-shouting) Do you want to wake up the worms?! (There is a short, thunderous croak far in the distance and the two put their guard up momentarily. TAKUA lets out another low giggle) It’s great, man, I get it. But that doesn’t change the fact that everything around here, everything, is either sticky or greasy or wants to kill you! And you know I never complain about that type of stuff! And Dume said it could take 26 months for the public to even set foot in Ta-Metru. My tribe might be the first and last of us without shelter.

TAKUA:
(Looking warmly at HIS friend:) At least our people are alive, Jaller. Besides, you have to admit, the nomadic lifestyle can be quite charming, at least for a while. (A stone block falls from above and lands right next to JALLER without a bounce, causing a long echo, and JALLER begins to appear a little angry.) I had my speculations before we got here, and it’s not what I pictured, either. Sure didn’t think gravity would pull a gainer on the way here. Guess you could say it turned on us? I mean, I feel betrayed, at least. Didn’t think we’d only have one district to share among the six villages either, but we… definitely fit. (The two gaze over the vast Sculpture Fields under the colorful double-sunset.) Yes sir, I think Metru City’s beautiful now, with nowhere to go but up! (JALLER looks thoughtfully at TAKUA, then out again)

————————————————————

And with that I open the thread. Thoughts? Questions?

Excitedly,

~Sanso

5 Likes

Interesting concepts… you should keep going.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been going for over a year and a half now, and support and collaboration are increasing, so I think I’ll keep it up. I’ll be playing with Bionicle the rest of my life, so I might as well do something with it. :slight_smile:

Part of my assuredness is that I need to build some skills in filmmaking, as well as a bit of a portfolio for my animation, writing, voice acting, and character design. And since that’s never going to be untrue for me, I think I will continue to have a sort of need — to put it in the extreme — to do this sort of independent project.

1 Like

As I previously thought, though mistakenly, I now expect to be more and more vocal about this project over time, as I have very little to hide aside from a bit of prioritizing as to what information comes out first. Soon I want to start doing vlogs, maybe even livestreams, about the process wherever I am with it.

If I have one criticism, it’s that these lines feel out-of-place here, in Bionicle. These are very modern, Western colloquialisms, and they kinda sucked me out of the setting. None of the characters in the mythos really talk like this, unless I’m forgetting something.

3 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, Keksalot, but similar to how I don’t want to use the original sets for my figures, I’m also not interested in matching the tone of Bionicle’s dialogue precisely. Between the books and movies, I definitely like the plots that LEGO came up with, and there were a few shining examples of dialogue, but I find most of lines for most of the characters to be pretty flat and boring.

I’m going for at least a touch of humorous flair in most of my scenes, and I want the matoran from Mata Nui Island to sound like they’ve adapted their language to suit their culture, with different dialects even emerging in different villages due to their distance. I think giving it a modern sound will also help the protagonists feel relatable. Like the way Jaller’s voice hits in MOL. Only not like that xD

But fear not, I aim to faithfully represent the overarching tone of Bionicle’s story and characters to the best of my ability through all my adaptations.

1 Like

In other words, the setting you feel like you’re getting sucked out of is the one established by LEGO, which is actually something I’m trying to suck you out of, to a degree. You’re also going to find a slightly more mature tone to my adaptation, as I’m opting to Make Love Canon Again, as well as exploring themes of mental, emotional, and social health in greater depth than was allowed by the producers of a toy line for kids.