Prototype Makuta Assistance/Instructions

Hello, hoping someone might be able to help out. I came across the prototype 2003 Makuta photos that surfaced a few months back: (File:Makutaproto1.jpg - BIONICLEsector01) and got inspired to rebuild it. I saw that someone made a stud.io replica, but I’m absolutely stumped on the inner torso build. I’ve managed to figure out the lower torso, legs, and shoulders, but I have no idea how the shoudlers attach, or what the piece I circled is:

If anyone knows what this piece is, or if there are instructions for the model, I’d appreciate the help. Want to make sure I know which pieces I need to order from Bricklink. Thanks!

-Solaris Magnus

22 Likes

I hadn’t seen these images before. This is fascinating and explains a lot about the movie design!

As for the circled part, given just how smooth it is, I think it’s probably the side of a thick-liftarm piece, possible two thin-liftarms.

Looking at the photo, I wonder if that’s actually a rear-view? I may well be missing some other info.

5 Likes

And all this time I blamed artistic license for why movie makuta looked the way he did…

5 Likes

I think you are onto something with the 2 thin liftarms. Here’s my current iteration, using those.

If it turns out no one has instructions and I can reverse the rest of the torso, once I get all the pieces I’ll just put up instructions here!

-Solaris Magnus

3 Likes

Have to tried asking the person who made the stud.io model? It’s possible they might share it with you .

1 Like

If this prototype is actually legit, then we finally know how the movie design came to being.

1 Like

Alright, got this much so far. Don’t have any rahkshi necks right now so I used the torso section to approximate it. I think I understand how to connect the back to the chest section, so I’m gonna go ahead and order the pieces. I’ll post some instructions here when I get him finished up. Gotta say, I like this alot more that the version we got.

-Solaris Magnus

3 Likes

Is that a… Vapakarhi…?

3 Likes

Ya. Someone (https://twitter.com/Jalaguy/status/1250189699718754312/photo/2) pointed out from the ebay lot that it had a random black vahi and a pakari nuva.

And then compared it to MoL concept art:

And whaddya know, turns out the movie kraakhan was based on the set design mixing the vahi and the pakari.

-Solaris Magnus

8 Likes

Wow. That’s awesome. I want to Shapeways a black Vahi now. Thanks you for this knowledge.

1 Like

I find it strange that prototype pic included a pakari nuva when it seems to be a regular pakari in the movie design.

1 Like

I’d argue that the Pakari Nuva mask was also the one the movie design was based of, this is most noticeable if you look at the stud.io render of the model as the normal Pakari messes with the shaping of the movie mask a bit, now I haven’t tried putting a pakari nuva in its place however I do feel that the shaping especially looking at the eyebrows suggests that it was in fact the Pakari Nuva that was used
20200908_183512

2 Likes

Ok i know im a little late to the party but just saw this vid today then was looking around and found your post and thouht i would help now this isnt really instructions but thought it might help you out a little bit if u start it from 3:48

3 Likes