Razorfish

Despite their name, the Razorfish are actually mammals, but they spend most of their time underwater. The first part of their name comes from the razor-sharp scales that cover their body; just a mere brush against these scales could cause a serious wound. Due to this, they often accidentally sank boats on Metru Nui.

Here is my interpretation of the Razorfish, which is going to be my entry for Duckbrick’s Rahi free-for-all contest (in the small category). I’ve been thinking about this contest since before the GSB one, but apparently there’s nothing like an impending deadline to boost my creativity (and maybe I’ll even come up with an entry for the large category).
For the Razorfish I took a lot of inspiration from the canon model of the Razor Whale (which is said to be a cousin spiecies) both for the pieces and the colors used. All the pieces come in the colors used and (because it appears that I’m the king of self-limiting) I tried to make it with only technic pieces that were available in G1.

Previous build with some illegal/ impossible techniques

23 Likes

For the three spikes on its back, is that raised tooth piece attached to a pin with an axle connection? Because that part doesn’t have a round hole capable of accepting a bar on the pin end, it’s a square hole like the 1x3 pins.

Aside from that it’s a good looking build overall, it’s simple, clean and quite cute for something called a “Razorfish”.

3 Likes

The raised one is connected to a Technic, Pin 3L with Friction Ridges and Stop Bush (part 32054) which, according to stud.io, has a round hole.
I’ve noticed that the problem is the first which is connected to a Technic, Axle 1L with Pin 2L with Friction Ridges (part 11214) that again, according to stud.io, has a squared hole.
Am I a fool for trusting the program?

3 Likes

I’ve never used Stud.io, so I can’t say anything about its accuracy. I’d suggest checking some physical examples and making sure that the connections are actually possible.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can force the connection irl, since the tooth uses soft plastic. It just may damage the peg on the tooth, though.

3 Likes

I was able to dig out some pieces and verify the legality/possibility of the connections. I’ve adjusted the build (sadly, now it looks worse).

3 Likes

I feel bad for pointing out that problem now as that one change really does compromise the appearance quite a bit. I’m hoping you’ll continue to tweak it and make it better since I’d very much like to see how far this can advance up the bracket. Sadly can’t think of anything to suggest, if only Stud.io hadn’t lied initially so you wouldn’t have made that mistake to begin with.

3 Likes

So, this is the only way that I can find to restore the original “razorfin” look, but I’m not conviced that it looks better, especially for the open axle.

I tried to add a 1/2 bush to cover the axle, but I feel it sticks out even more.

5 Likes

Let me just throw in my two cents on the matter here: I don’t think it’s worth obsessing over the possible illegality over the building techniques here, especially not over one so minor. If you care about the model using only legal techniques then you can just go with the current one spike look - yes it looks worse than three spikes but it doesn’t ruin the build. Otherwise, you can keep the version with the original illegal technique. You haven’t (yet?) updated the model so i assume you want to keep it as it is. Go for it.

That begs the question: how much do illegal techniques affect a (digital only) model’s chance to win or become a finalist in these contests? I can’t remember any specific examples but I don’t think it has much effect. Or am I mistaken?

2 Likes

I consider fanon contests on the same level as canon ones and for me it’s important that a model (digital or not) could be built in real life, as it was a true part of the Bionicle line. That is why I limit myself to strictly legal techniques and pieces in existing colors (I make exeptions for Masks). It is also why I try not to use extremely rare/expensive pieces.

Then it’s probably just me, but I feel like I’m cheating if I don’t follow these self-imposed rules.

4 Likes

The reason I pointed it out in the first place is because one of the contest’s rules is that it must be possible to build in real life. I do not believe modifying the peg of the tooth piece to fit into the square hole of that kind of pin is a legal technique, and it’d suck if this entry got disqualified because Stud.io lied and told D-E_GEOSIS that it was a legal connection.

5 Likes

I know, I understand.

2 Likes