(Re-)Naming Day, or, Why I Love Early Bionicle Names

I was going to pitch a Bionicle fanfic I’ve been outlining to see if there was any community interest in it, but then I realized people would probably want to know why I changed so many characters’ names. The answer is… involved, but maybe you’ll learn something about Māori linguistics.

Let me explain. A while ago, I observed that Bionicle in 2001 used a very constrained phonetic inventory, clearly modeled on Polynesian languages like Māori. On closer inspection, Bionicle seems to have borrowed directly from Māori and Hawaiian, as well as other Oceanic languages, such as Fijian and Rotuman. (But only the Māori nation sued.)

In any case, there are two prominent traits of the names of early Toa, Turaga, Tohunga (as they were called), Kanohi, Rahi, places, etc.* The first is that the 2001 names are characterized by a pattern of open syllables. That means that the vowel in each syllable is the last letter in that syllable. You don’t see Kotpaka or Pohaktu or Tahud. This holds true for nearly every Matoran/Tohunga language word introduced in the first year.**

The second is that the language relies on noticeably fewer consonants than English. Māori only uses 10 consonants: H, K, M, N, P, R, T, W, Ng, and Wh.*** Hawaiian uses even fewer: H, K, L, M, N, P, and W. Words in the Bionicle language are similar. While F, G, J and V have some prominent appearances, B, C and D are vanishingly rare (they appear once or twice, mainly on forgettable details, and mostly in the Quest for the Toa game). S appears remarkably rarely, from an English speaking perspective (Manas and Suva being major exceptions). And I’m not aware of any instances of Q, X, Y, or Z.

Being an ■■■■ retentive language nerd, I think it’s really cool that Lego gave its conlang such a distinct character, even if doing so involved borrowing heavily from existing languages, and it always disappointed me a little how it became increasingly “anything goes” in later years. Just tossing Zatth or Photok in there kinda ruins it.

Anyway, I thought to write this as preface to a fanfic/rewrite idea I had, where there being two languages in the Matoran universe is an important plot point. A lot of characters from 2004 and beyond have their names changed to better fit the language patterns above. I’ll probably go into more detail in a later post.

*This does not apply to characters who were not actually named in ’01 despite technically being there, e.g. Akhmou was not referred to by name until MNOGII. Also, recall that several characters and concepts, including Huki, Koli, and Tohunga, had their original names changed.

** A couple exceptions are Manas and Tren Krom (as in Tren Krom Break).

*** Ng, which appears in Kongu and Tohunga, is probably pronounced with a closed syllable by most English speakers, e.g. Kon-gu. However, it’s considered a single consonant in Māori. Also, there is Ngalawa boat racing from Quest for the Toa, which presents it as single sound.

12 Likes

One thing that’s interesting is how whenua should actually be pronounced fenua according to Māori phonetics

4 Likes

That’s why “Tren Krom” feels like a delightfully out-of-place name on the island of Mata Nui.

Prior to the world expanding in 04 and again in 06, we got Krana Xa and Za, though many of the Krana names feel alien to the previous naming convention (which is likely intentional).

I don’t think “conlang” is quite the right word, given there was no actual intended language and most, if not all of it, was stolen/appropriated.

3 Likes

Kinda off topic, but coincidentally, Akhmou sounds like “the dark one” or “the black one” in Khmer, my first language. The word for the color black is also used to mean dark sometimes.

Anyways, I also really like studying languages for fun.

4 Likes

I was actually under the impression that more of the words were original just because they weren’t Maori before I started researching for this. I haven’t done enough research to vouch for the accuracy of everything, but this Reddit post is a fascinating plunge. Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

Don’t search up and correctly pronounce Mt Ruapehu’s North West Ski Field!! Worst mistake of my life!!!

Thank you for pointing that out, here in New Zealand there is often plenty of mispronunciation from years of original place names being used but mass mispronouncing due to English and it’s pronunciation conventions being used.

E.g. Taupo is often said T-ow-po but should be said Tow-poor.

However there are some interesting variations between the North and South Island such as the pronunciation of ‘Wh’. Terewhiti could be said Terra-fit-e or Terra-witty strangely.

Sounds groovy.

4 Likes

So wh is sometimes pronounced w? Is that on the South or the North island? I read somewhere that whatever dialect was first transcribed sounded more like a w or hw sound but the Most popular dialect of Maori today uses the f sound for wh.

I’ve seen this word before, and I’ve always been hesitant to pronounce Māori words with the wh spelling as f because of it.

Just for fun, for tren krom, I have some random coincidental meanings for the name: tren = on/ on top (Vietnamese) and krom = down/ bottom (Khmer)

So…. On top of Bottom…

3 Likes

he was the dumpster fire of the grea beings but also one of the most powerful entities in the mu.

when it came to the bottom of the barrel, he was on top. sussy

2 Likes

interesting

1 Like

I can see how “wh” is pronounced “f”. It’s like “fufufu” in Japanese. If you hold your lips close enough together and say “wh”, it comes out sounding like “f”.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s how the consonant change happened. If you look at some of the closest languages to Māori, the wh often becomes an f in samoan, and an h in Hawaiian often. I think t’ s and k’s switch around a lot too.

3 Likes

I’m only half reading this right now but it seems interesting. I’ll have a propper look at this when I have more time, seems interesting.

1 Like