Recommendations for stop-motion software?

Howdy folks! I’m looking to get back into stop motion after about 7 or 8 years. I remember people using MonkeyJam to capture frames almost exclusively back in the day, but technology has changed massively since I was last animating (for context, very few teens had smartphones back then). Are there any animators on the Boards with some up-to-date knowledge to impart?

2 Likes

Dragonframe is pretty good as far as I’ve heard. I haven’t used it myself, but I’ve seen it in use and it does a very good job.

1 Like

Stopmotion Studio by cateater is pretty easy to use.

2 Likes

I agree with solar, stop motion studio is pretty good. Although you want to get premium edition otherwise you can’t cut and edit audio or draw effects etc.

1 Like

Stop motion studio is great.

1 Like

I would like to know this question too.

1 Like

That’s the sort of thing that I’m already potentially able to do with Adobe’s Premiere Pro/Premiere Rush. I’m mostly looking for a piece of software with onion-skinning and advanced camera controls.

I use Sony Vegas. I knows it’s not a stop motion software but it works for me.

1 Like

I know DarkRavenFilms has a stop motion tutorial on her YouTube channel

In the past I’ve just used a free app on my phone to make stop motion

1 Like

Ok, I’m pretty sure stop motion studio does have “advanced” camera controls-I know it has manual focus, DOF and exposure settings etc. And it does have onion skinning.

1 Like

Stop motion studio does in fact have those features, but afaik you have to buy the “premium version” for them.
It’s only something like three dollars, the only limitation is that it’s a mobile app.

1 Like

You could use stop motion studio, buy the premium edition, and then export it to i-movie to add in sound effects, edit it, and add in voice lines.

But stop motion studio already has sound effects etc?

1 Like

Yeah, but with I movie you can edit it even more and do a lot of stuff

1 Like

I haven’t done much animating on a loooong time but what I would do is take the clips in SMS and then import them into iMovie (or whatever editing software you’re using) to splice them together.