Recreate the Island of Mata Nui?

Hey, everyone! So I have been looking around these message boards and I remember seeing someone (I don’t remember who) saying that they wish that the island of Mata Nui was not destroyed. It is the most fleshed-out location in the franchise, and, as the person earlier described, it feels like a character unto itself. It is sad that the island paradise is gone in almost every way.

This got me thinking, would it be possible for Mata Nui and Artakha to make an almost exact replica of the Island of Mata Nui? Here are a few observations I made while trying to figure this out:

The two of them have at their disposal several powerful tools: the Staff of Artakha, the Mask of Life, and the Mask of Creation.

The Staff of Artakha is able to fix anything as long as a piece of it remains. I’m sure that someone like Hafu still has some chunk of stone from the island that he carved and kept. The staff is also capable of doing a lot of work at once, in a large area. The only hang-up is that we have only seen it work inside of the Matoran Universe. But that doesn’t automatically mean that it can’t work outside of the MU.

The Mask of Life is able to undo the effects of Energized Protodermis (E.G. Tahu changing back from Nuva to Mata). It could be possible that it has the opposite power, to transform something like how EP would have. We know that the plant life on the island was due to a leak in EP, so this could be a way to recreate that. The Mask of Life is also capable of recreating things exactly as they were, the best example being turning Dekar into an exact copy of Hydraxon, right down to his memories.

The Mask of Creation is able to help its user envision and create things. We don’t know a lot about it, but I imagine it could help. Artakha was very familiar with the layout of the island as he was the one who hid the Masks of Power in very specific locations (unless I am mistaken).

All in all, I think that this would be a wonderful way for many fans to be able to keep one of their favorite aspects of the Bionicle franchise! As a side note, there is plenty of room on Spherus Magna for the island, as about half of the planet is ocean.

What do you guys think? Is it possible for the island to be recreated? Would you like it to be recreated? I am a relatively new lore fan, so if I made any mistakes, let me know.

Thanks!

2 Likes

What we know is that it works on items “similar in contruction/composition” to the Matoran Universe:

Given that Mata Nui was made from the Great Spirit Robot’s camouflage system, it is likely made from protodermis, or at least a protodermis-based material, so the Staff of Artakha would probably work.

Unless, of course, that quote means that the repaired item must be similar in contruction as well, in which case the island is likely built significantly differently from the buildings that made up Metru Nui (for example) and the Staff probably wouldn’t work.

Not quite. The Ignika wasn’t just undoing Tahu’s transformation; it was devolving him to a previous stage of his life. Given that the island wasn’t alive, the Ignika couldn’t fix it.

Yeah, Artakha could probably figure out a way to make it happen.

A big problem that I see, though, is that the island was heavily dependent on the Great Spirit Robot for support; the island wasn’t just floating in the water. Plus there were a bunch of tunnels and other support systems weaved into the island from the robot. Who knows what getting rid of those would do.

Possible? Sure. Maybe Artakha could somehow fix all the issues I mentioned above. Crazier things have happened.

But is it a good idea? Probably not. The Matoran Universe is in the middle of trying to integrate into a new alien society; “rebuilding an island that a handful [relative to the rest of the universe] of Matoran lived on for a couple years [again, relative to the massive timeline]” probably isn’t high on the priority list for time, materials, or effort.

Plus, why would the Matoran want to rebuild the island? Think about what Mata Nui would mean to them: their time on Mata Nui was spent living in fear of the Makuta, and being kept in the dark about their true home and the rest of the world by the Turaga.

I highly doubt any of the Matoran would want to return.

Also:

The Turaga hid the Great and Noble masks that the Toa collected in 2001, and the Kanohi Nuva were teleported by Artakha, not personally hidden:

(Although I suppose Artakha still would have had to know where to teleport them)

4 Likes

Thanks for fact-checking! I didn’t know that the Turaga hid the first masks.

I was taking my information from this quote from BS1, “The mask can undo the effects of Energized Protodermis as seen when it devolved Tahu.” You are probably still right about it, though.

As for why the Matoran would want to return, I think it depends on what angle you look at it with. I find that the story is a little inconsistent in talking about the time on the island as either a time of peace in paradise (Hahli’s speech in MoL, the fact that non of the Matoran died over the course of 1000 years, the fact that the Matoran apparently couldn’t stay in the city, despite the fact that the Visorak were all gone, etc.) or a time of dispair (references to the 1000 years being the “Dark Times” or the “Great War”). Either way, it is the only home the Matoran ever knew, for better or worse. You are probably right, though. They may just want to move on.

I don’t think it’s ever confirmed either way, but I got the impression that the GSR’s camouflage system pulled in matter from around it to make the island. So when it broke apart and fell into the sea in 2008, most of that material was just returning to the seabed.

I can’t say that I’ve ever thought of it that way, but I suppose that would make some sense; if the island is supposed to deflect suspicion from an alien planet’s natives, it would work better if the island was made of the same material as the rest of the planet.

(Of course, that only works if the natives also ignore the fact that a new island suddenly appeared out of nowhere, or somehow didn’t notice a planet-sized robot come from outer space, but that’s a whole separate issue)

2 Likes

I think this may be the topic you’re referring to:

(I know I’ve posted some pretty lengthy essay/debate topics, but this one honestly puts everything I’ve written to shame.)

1 Like

That’s the one! Thanks!

1 Like