Rider Unit B0-1A: The Boss

Rider Unit B0-1A
Suspension: Multi-point adjustable
Equipment: Up-armour, multiphasic combination beam weapon (ocular-mounted), long-range scanners, variable-profile ride hide, three advanced fusion-cell drive cores, with backup hydrogen-combustion drives, universal command suite.

Mission Profile: Patrol wasteland, recover disabled Rider units, command allied forces, transport vital data.

Engineer Notes: B0-1A is a last-gasp. Most of the systems developed in prior Rider units have been incorporated into his chassis. He’s larger, stronger, faster, and more capable than any we’ve built before. Still, I cannot know if it will be enough…

This is sort of a revamp of the Boss RoboRider set, but it really started with the Ignika mudguards. It goes with my other ‘Rider Unit’ models from a few years ago.

Each wheel has adjustable ride height, and the Technic shock absorbers act as functional suspension.

27 Likes

Truly just trying to flex your two Ignikas…

I like the shaping of this, those mudguards are very creative! I will say, however, I think the orange from the original would have been nice to see. The black and silver are a bit repetitive throughout and it means the head piece as well gets lost (it’s mostly black-on-black, as compared to the original where there was more color for black to stand out against). Additionally, I don’t think the Kohrak-Kal shields were the best choice, as the original had some round bits on the side (the RoboRider wheel pieces) that maybe would have been good to leave as-is.

Then again, if you didn’t intend for this to be a true revamp, everything I said is meaningless. I think the MOC is a masterpiece, those tailpipes and the rear mudguard are spectacular! The Technic tubes running throughout it also give it a nice look. Good work!

4 Likes

These are just the spare Ignikas - my other silver one and the gold one are on the shelf :rofl:

I know what you mean, and had I set out with this as a revamp from the get go, I would have built the two pods as independent bikes and had them hook up like the original, which would have led to some quite different shaping, and probably retained the RoboRider wheels in lieu of the Kohrak-Kal shields.

But this more came about as an exercise in building something shaped like the Boss, but blended with a bit of Cylon Raider from BSG, so I’m glad you like it as the thing that it is :slight_smile:

I might have to do a true Boss revamp following the original colours, then have this as something like a ‘Boss Nuva’

4 Likes

Ignika mudguards :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Ah this looks really cool! The Ignika mudguards are definitely a fashion statement but actually works quite well. The rest of the build is also nice, the shaping and mechanical details are neatly incorporated. Awesome moc!

2 Likes

So viewing it as a re-imagining of Boss works fine still in my opinion, you’ve got the same silhouette pretty much, and I think interpretations of characters that use a lot more freedom from their original source are more fun anyways.

The Ignika mudguards are clean. They do seem to not be as flush as they could be though, is that due to the adjustable ride height? Also, second what others have said about the Kohrak-Kal shields, honestly just swapping them to Gahlok-Kal shields would be better since the texture of those would work with your Av-Matoran jet packs.

Only other thoughts I have are on the colors. The faceplate/visor has red on it, and incorporating some small red details would probably help the black stand out as others mentioned. Maybe swapping the wheels out for red ones, while keeping the gray disks in there?

I really love this build, an awesome take on the original with a lot of fun details and work put into it.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, the Ignikas don’t quite sit as flush as possible due to the way the wheels can move, and also due to these being the old, slightly larger Technic wheels. If I used the newer type, then there’d be more positions where the masks would be more flush, but it wouldn’t look quite right, proportionally.

I like the more textured aspect of the Kohrak Kal shields, but given the feedback I’ll see how Gahlok or Gahlok Kal shields look there instead.

I agree that a bit more red would probably work well - if those wheel rims come in red I might look at swapping them out as you suggest. I left some exposed red pins to try and give a little bit of the colour as detailing, but it didn’t work as well as intended. Perhaps swapping the trans yellow Bohrok eyes at the rear for trans red or trans neon orange would help

3 Likes