Rising Star (Story Serial Continuation Project)

Ah, I see. Well, I think that the problem here is that face and helm are mostly the same thing in Bionicle: metal something that covers your head/skull.

Directly from BS01:
“Mavrah is an eager scientist, but sometimes so eager that he does not consider his own safety or well-being. His obsession with the underwater Rahi study was so great that he was willing to give up his life in Metru Nui and exiled himself along with them. While living in the Great Barrier, he had a that could sense the use of Kanohi powers.”

Mavrah was paranoic and really obssesed with Rahi, and in overall questionable mental condition. That what I meant under “mad”. Though after 100 years on the Red Star he might’ve become a little more social, of course.

1 Like

General Takadox.

Do the Red Star teleported the body or only the soul of the death ones? In Hydraxon’s Tale we see Hydraxon face laying in Mahri Nui after a millenial. But if it only teleported the soul, why would wounds stay with the death ones?

2 Likes

I’m curious about this, too. I always thought of their souls being sent but then are put into some sort of semi-physical state.

1 Like

The Red Star gathers the body. Or at least the part of the body with the mind in it.

Then, if the body can be repaired, it is. If it can’t be repaired, a new one is built, and the mind is transferred.

(In theory, at least. We all know the Kestora kind of came up short on that last part.)

3 Likes

Thank you for the quote; I remembered reading that the bodies were teleported, but couldn’t find a source for that.

That said, it doesn’t say that some are repaired and others are transferred. Do you have any source on that? I don’t mean to doubt you, of course, just want to be sure.

If not, I can say that Botar and Hydraxon were attempted dissections, and that’s why they’re so messed up. Might have to keep an eye out and see if anything else needs to be edited.

I think there is a distinction, since certain characters are mentioned to have an actual helmet, like Johmak, and Hydraxon can wear Kanohi.

Interesting point. I’d say he’s joined with Ruhko’s little group for survival. He’s not the most sociable of the group, though; he mainly only interacts with Quilha.

Chapter 4

Six months before the arrival of Kopaka and Pohatu…

Delara, Toa of Sonics, was screaming.

He’d had the great misfortune of running into a pair of Dark Hunters, the Skakdi Hakann and Avak. He’d tried to stop them from taking a rare decorative mask, not realizing that they vastly overpowered him.

First, Hakann had struck, a blast from his lava launcher shattering Delara’s mask and blinding him. By instinct, he lashed out with his powers, but Hakann retaliated with his mental blasts, ripping into Delara’s mind.

Then, Avak struck, with his power to make a cage designed specifically for his enemies. The cage amplified any noise to intolerable levels on the inside, devastating for anyone with the level of increased hearing that a Toa of Sound had. Hakann’s continued mental blasts kept him too distracted to use his powers to deaden the sound.

He was still screaming when he died.

Now…

Quilha stood still, frozen in fear.

She’d heard that voice once before, while out running the halls, with her running partner. His voice came from multiple directions, impossible to tell where he was. But he was able to tell where they were.

She didn’t know what had happened to him, but he was more messed up than the worst she’d seen on the star. He caught them at an intersection, and dragged her partner off into the dark, never to be seen again. She’d frozen, standing completely still, as he came back, looking for her. He’d walked past her, so close she was sure he should’ve heard her heartbeat, but he hadn’t seen her. She was still standing for hours after he left; she’d nearly died of fright when Mavrah had called her name, when he came looking for her.

Now, hearing his voice again brought back that came fear. Every sound seemed to be magnified times a thousand. For him, she knew, it was. Could he hear her breathing? Could he hear the noise of the lights, flickering softly? Could he hear her heart beating?

He had to know where they were, or at least have an idea. He’d projected his voice into this room. It was only a matter of time before he found them. There was no way to tell how far away he was. He could be right outside, or several Bio away.

What were the Toa doing? Were they about to do something stupid, and draw him right to them? Slowly, afraid to move to fast, she glanced up at the two Toa.

The Ice Toa was panning his head side to side, as if looking for something. That’s right, Ruhko had said he had a mask of X-Ray vision. Then, slowly, he pointed. He’d located the sound Toa.

Ruhko pointed to a point on one of the maps, and pointed to the Stone Toa’s mask. Pohatu pointed to his weapons, gut Ruhko emphatically shook his head. Wait – what were they planning? Couldn’t they just wait until the Sound Toa moved on? Toa always had to act, to be ‘heroic’.

Pohatu gestured for the Matoran to come close. Ruhko and Mavrah moved to the two Toa, and all four joined hands. But Quilha couldn’t move, still frozen to the spot.

For a few long seconds, the others stared at her expectantly. Then, Mavrah pulled his hand loose from Pohatu’s, and pointed toward the door, looking at the surprised Toa. His message seemed clear: ‘go without us’.

Quilha shook her head. No. She wasn’t going to let the Toa run off toward danger, while she stood here with Mavrah. She stepped forward and grabbed Mavrah’s hand with one hand, Pohatu’s hand with the other.

Suddenly, she felt the power of speed flow through her. The Toa started to run. Caught off guard, she stumbled at first, but Pohatu’s grip kept her on course. She was surprised to be matching their pace; having never seen a Toa Nuva, she hadn’t known that they could share their mask powers with others. For just a moment, the speed was exhilarating, and she forgot her fear.

But then, as they sped through the darkened hallway, they passed the Sound Toa, and she caught a glimpse of him. Eerily, he seemed to be looking right at them, even though there was no way he would have been able to see them even if they weren’t moving at super-speed.

Because behind his mask, he had no eyes.

Across the Star, another being watched the Toa blip from one place to another.

Interesting. So these were not normal Toa. Normal Toa were enough of a problem; these Toa seemed to be even more problematic than normal. Even more prudent that they be contained.

Delara, too, was a problem, had been for a long time. He was too messed up to aid the Kestora, but he kept killing the other people on the Star, and always managed to head the Kestora coming when they tried to capture him. It seemed that the Kestora would have to take action directly, if order was to be maintained.

Yes, the two Toa would be brought down. And then… they would help Makuta maintain order on the Red Star.

The speed had brought the group far from the sound Toa, to another section of the Star, before they finally stopped. There was a door to their right, and the hallway continued onward, but Pohatu needed to talk to Ruhko first.

“So, where exactly are we going?” Pohatu said. “Kopaka and I could have handled one mad Toa.”

“And drawn the Kestora to you in the process,” Ruhko said.

“We could’ve dealt with the Kestora, too,” Pohatu said.

“Yeah, sure,” Quilha said. “That’s what the last Toa that we met said. The Kestora took them all, took every Toa except Soundy back there; not sure why he’s still loose. No, if we’re going to get to the Kestora’s machinery, we need some way of hiding you from the Kestora. I know where we can–”

“There’s a Matoran on the other side of the door,” Kopaka said abruptly. “And he looks wounded.”

Pohatu tried the door, but it didn’t open. “All right, stand back, I’m gonna–”

“There’s a mechanism to unlock it, but it’s on the other side,” Kopaka said.

“Oh,” Pohatu said. “In that case, I’ve got this.”

“I can–” Quilha started to say, but Pohatu disappeared before she could finish. A moment later, he reappeared, lying on the floor on his back. “Ow.”

Kopaka helped him to his feet. “What happened?”

“I’ve… never seen anything like that before,” Pohatu said. “It’s like… as I tried to vibrate through the door, the material changed its own vibrations to stop me. It kicked me out. Hurt, too.”

Quilha didn’t understand what the Toa of Stone was talking about, but she didn’t really care. Pulling out a set of small tools and wires, she began to try and open the lock.

“Where’d you learn that?” Pohatu asked.

“One of the other Ghosts taught me,” she said. “Before he…” she couldn’t bear to finish the sentence, but she still remembered seeing him being dragged off into the dark…

Kopaka frowned. “Wait, I think I recognize the Matoran. He looks…” Kopaka hesitated. “He looks like Turaga Nuju’s description of his mentor, Ihu.”

Author’s notes: Yeah, the walls of this place can block Pohatu. I’m not sure if this makes sense scientifically, but it’s a fun idea, and lets me do some interesting stuff later on.
4 Likes

“Matoro and the Makuta did not come back, for a simple reason. None of them have bodies anymore. The body is what is teleported up (which is why you don’t see BIONICLE graveyards) and then either repaired or a new one is made to house the consciousness. If the body has been utterly destroyed, there is nothing to work with.”

I love this story, by the way. I usually try to avoid reading fanfaction so as not to get attached to a “non-canon” story, but this one sucked me in. You’ve done a great job of mimicking the original writing and dialogue style. And I like that the “fan addons” are kept to a minimum; it’s mostly based directly on actual canon events and characters.

2 Likes

[Facepalms] I LOOKED at that page, but that was the one drop-down I didn’t click on because I mistakenly thought it was about the lightning that made the Toa Inika.

Thanks for the references, I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Here’s another one:

I don’t think Delara’s time of death fits with the canon timeline. According to Ignition Comic 1, Hakann and Avak met a Toa of Sonics on their “last mission”. Even if we assume that this mission took place directly before they defected from the Dark Hunters to go to Mangaia, that still means it took place around 1 month before the Piraka began their descent down the 777 Steps, as detailed in Legends 4: Legacy of Evil.

Then, an unspecified amount of time passes before Teridax takes over the Matoran Universe. Next, Journey’s End tells us that he was in this body for “months”. Then, of course, Teridax is defeated.

From there, I am having trouble finding a consistent timeline: some sources indicate that Kopaka and Pohatu found themselves on the Red Star within days of Teridax’s defeat, while others suggest it was a month.

By the time we add everything up:

(1 month between Delara’s murder and the Piraka on the 777 Steps) +
(Some amount of time [probably weeks] during which the 2007 and 2008 stories happen) +
(At least 2 months of Teridax’s Reign)

It comes to at least 3 months, but probably closer to 6 or 7.

Additionally, Delara’s death would have taken place quite a while before Botar’s, rather than just a few weeks; Delara was killed before the 2006 arc, which takes place before the Toa Mahri fight Takadox, which takes place before Federation of Fear, which takes place around the same time as Botar’s death.

Also, in the interest of perhaps helping understand where Greg was going with the story, I found this:

EDIT: I added this after, just for the purpose of keeping a bunch of timeline stuff together:

1 Like

So, funny story:

I had a longer time period on the original version.
Then, as I was posting it, I read it and thought “that can’t be right”. A quick search of the timeline on bs01 led me to the two month conclusion; but I failed to take into account the month of the Piraka defecting, and the months of the reign.

So past me knew what he was doing, and then present me messed it up.

Good catch, though. I’ve fixed it.

2 Likes

Was the mask added by Kestora then?

Everything is possible in Bionicle. And even more than that.

Creepy vibe is not one of my favorites, but it really fits here. My favorite chapter so far.

1 Like

Yep. Similar to how Lhikan got a new mask.

Chapter 5

Six hours before the arrival of Kopaka and Pohatu…

Ihu couldn’t go down, not now.

He didn’t know why it was important. Something had happened to him, and now his thoughts were all messed up. It felt like he was under the effects of a Keerahk stun staff, losing all sense of time and place, but permanent. He could never be sure if the things he remembered had happened yesterday, or decades ago… or if they hadn’t happened yet at all. Yes, he felt pretty sure he’d seen the future, even if he couldn’t figure out how. Something to do with a red orb? Or was he thinking of that fire Toa who’d saved him recently? Was it recently?

Never mind. It didn’t matter. Only one memory mattered, knowledge that he had to pass on to a pair of Toa he had yet to meet. He kept it at the forefront of his mind at all times, so he didn’t forget it. He didn’t know why it was so important, only that it was, and until he relayed the message, he absolutely could not die.

Something was following him, one of the broken people in this place. If they caught him… Ihu wasn’t really sure what they would do, but he had to stop them. He couldn’t keep away from them forever, especially with his legs as messed up as they were. One of those ghosts had offered to fix them a few years ago, and now Ihu wished he’d accepted the offer. Why hadn’t he? He hadn’t trusted the crafter; something about having helped make the Vahki? No, the Vahki weren’t until after the crafter; or were they before?

Ihu’s eyes caught sight of a door up ahead. Near it, a body lay on the ground. Ihu decided to set aside the past for now; it was too difficult to remember anyway. Focus on the now, and the memory that was soon to happen. Ihu made his way to the body, painfully slowly. It was a Ga-Matoran, or at least it used to be. And she had some sort of weapon. Ihu picked it up, and thrust it forward experimentally; it loosed a small burst of electricity at the motion.

This would work. Holding the electro-blade, Ihu got shakily to his feet, and waited for his pursuer to arrive.

Now…

The instant Quilha had the door open, Kopaka pushed her out of the way and rushed into the hallway on the other side. Pohatu wasn’t far behind, and in a moment, he saw what Kopaka had seen.

Just on the other side of the door, there were multiple beings lying on the floor: a dead Ga-Matoran, a large creature, and a wounded Ko-Matoran. Kopaka was already at the Ko-Matoran’s side, holding him in his arms.

Ihu’s legs were badly misshapen, and part of his head was mashed in. Worse, he had a large gash, from shoulder to hip. His heartlight was flickering, slower and slower.

“Toa… Nuva…?” he muttered weakly.

“Yes, it’s us,” Kopaka said. For a moment, he wondered how Ihu knew that name, then brushed the thought aside; it didn’t matter right now. “Don’t worry, we’ll get you out of here.”

“There’s… no time,” Ihu murmured. “If you’re here… then the end is near…”

“You’re not going to die again,” Kopaka said. “Come on, let’s go.” He tried to help Ihu to his feet.

“No!” Ihu said, grabbing Kopaka’s mask with both hands. “Listen… to me. You can stop this, fix all… you can end the Star. But you need… you have to find Hydraxon. He can show you the way.”

Hydraxon? The name sparked a vague memory in Kopaka’s mind. He’d heard that name before, somewhere. “What are you talking about?” he asked.

“There’s… more,” Ihu force out. “Be wary… of the one… they call Makuta…”

“Makuta?!” Kopaka exclaimed. “What Makuta? The Makuta?”

But there was no answer coming. Ihu’s fingers slipped off of Kopaka’s mask, his hands fell limply to his sides. His heartlight went dark.

Once again, Ihu was dead.

Slowly, the horde marched through the hallway of the star, toward the source of the disturbance.

Once, they had had another purpose, a more noble one. Then, they had died, and they had come here, where they had dared to rise up against the Kestora.
But the Kestora had found a way to maintain order, as they always did. They had gotten these people under their control. Now, they only had one purpose: to maintain order for Makuta.

The Kestora hadn’t sent them out in a while, but now, the situation called for it. There were two here who intended to cause trouble. They needed to be contained, like all the rest. Only then would order be restored.

One of them caught a glimpse of movement from a side hall, and went to investigate. He took a look around, but didn’t see anything. Concluding there was nothing to find, he decided to go join the rest of the group.

As soon as he turned his back, something struck the back of his head, and he blacked out.

For several seconds after Ihu’s death, no one spoke. No one really knew what to say.

Pohatu was still shaken by the mention of Makuta. He thought they were done with that guy. But if this was a place where the dead came back… was Makuta here, too? It hadn’t occurred to him until now. Could he and Kopaka really handle the master of Shadows on their own?

“Hey, guys?” Quilha cut in. “Something’s coming.”

The Toa fell silent. Now they heard it, too: the sounds of something, or several somethings, marching through the halls. Kopaka activated his mask to see what was coming, then gasped in surprise at what he saw.

“What is it, brother?” Pohatu asked.

“They’re…” Kopaka said. “They’re Toa. And they’re being led by… a Kestora.”

Author’s notes: Ihu’s vision of the future is a reference to this story, that I wrote… at least five years ago (wow, didn’t realize it had been that long). I don’t know if I would consider the events portrayed in that story canon to this project, but it’s one of my favorite older stories, so I at least wanted to have a nod to it. The only thing I’m 100% keeping is that Ihu saw the future.
(You can read through the old story if you’re curious, though it probably doesn’t hold up to my writing abilities today)
6 Likes

Another banger of a chapter. I wonder if we’ll see some familiar faces in that Toa Army?

I’m also curious as to how Ihu saw the future. Is it the same thing as whatever was going on with Vakama? Or will we have to wait to find out?

EDIT: I just read your old story. Now I have more questions about that. What’s up with that Toa and the staff?

Oh, huh, forgot that was originally part of it. I must’ve posted the old story before I changed that part. I never had an explanation for that Toa, and I later rewrote it to be a floating red orb (no Toa involved). That way, it seemed like it could be some sort of force of nature, some ‘natural’ supernatural occurrence that messed with time.

It still isn’t necessarily canon, but I may post the updated version, just in case anyone else reads it and gets confused. (by “updated” I mean entirely the same except minus one toa and staff and plus one orb, I never rewrote any other parts)

Thanks for pointing that out, I’d totally forgotten about it.

1 Like

To be honest, I think it works better as a Toa with a staff than as a force of nature. The Matoran selected, and the times they were taken from, seem too convenient to be random.

Maybe it was someone trying to prevent Matoro’s sacrifice? (Even though this would have been in vain, since we all know you can’t change the timeline)

It wasn’t entirely a coincidence.

Long-winded explanation for a five-year-old story

The explanation I had at the time was that it was the inverse of Kopeke’s original speculation: It came from Kopeke’s time, and pulled him out first. Then, it pulls out Ihu. Then, the universe recognizes something isn’t right, and the orb’s path gets reset. This time, it pulls out Kopeke, Ihu, and Talvi, as Talvi is affected by the removal of Ihu. Reset once more, this time Matoro gets removed. After that… who knows what might’ve happened, as literally everyone would be affected by Matoro’s removal.

So yes, there is a version of events where it’s just Ihu and Kopeke, and another where it’s just Ihu, Talvi, and Kopeke. In both of those, they didn’t fix the problem before the reset, as Matoro’s help was crucial. None of them remember those versions of events.

It is a coincidence that Matoro got pulled out from a moment when he was with Kopeke, and that does lead Kopeke to the wrong conclusion. But that’s the only real coincidence

Anyway, that’s the old explanation. I do have some ideas for this story involving the mask of time that might explain Ihu’s vision of the future; I don’t know for sure if I’ll go that route yet.

1 Like

Chapter 6

1001 years before the arrival of Kopaka and Pohatu…

If you asked Ivohku how he died, there was little he could tell you. He knew nothing about the lithe green female that had attacked him, or why she had targeted him. He knew that she was extremely acrobatic, and also apparently knew about him. She’d initially caught him by surprise, but when he got a second to think, he erased the gravity around her, as he usually did with his enemies. But she had been expecting that, and unlike past opponent, knew how to fight in zero gravity. And before he knew it, he found a dagger in his chest.

Regardless, he’d died. And now he was stuck here, in these featureless hallways with those little Kestora running everything. And they said he couldn’t leave! Apparently, they’d been saying that for years, that there was some sort of problem.

Ivohku couldn’t just stay here and wait. He had people to protect, a home to watch over. He desperately wanted to know what that green figure had been up to, and why she’d kill him. Either the Kestora couldn’t fix whatever the problem was, or they were keeping people here on purpose. Either way, it was for someone else to be running things. Ivohku had gathered up as many Toa as he could, and led them in a coup against the Kestora.

It didn’t go so well…

Now…

Ruhko muttered something under his breath. “Those are the Toa the Kestora have taken control of. They must be coming here for you. We need to get out of here.”

“You don’t think we can handle a few Toa?” Pohatu said.

“There’s easily over fifty Toa out there,” Kopaka said. “We’re good, but not that good.”

“Of course,” Pohatu muttered. “All right, everyone get ready to --”

“No!” Quilha exclaimed. “You go the wrong way, you could lead us into a trap. Follow my lead.”

“I can just–” Pohatu started to say.

“I know my way around here; you don’t,” Quilha snapped. “So unless you want to wind up as mindless slaves like those Toa that are coming after you right now, I’d suggest you listen.” Pohatu was too stunned to speak; he’d rarely been told off by a Matoran like that before.

“This way,” Quilha said, walking down the tunnel. “We need to get you to old grey. He’ll know how to hide you from the Kestora’s eyes.”

“All right,” Pohatu said. “Then what? Who’s this Hydraxon fellow Ihu said we need to find?”

“Do Toa usually rely upon the crazed ramblings of mentally broken Matoran to save the day?” Quilha said.

“Well, I don’t hear any better ideas from you,” Pohatu muttered.

“All right, let’s say Hydraxon is someone up here,” Quilha said. “Do you even know what he looks like?”

Kopaka thought for a moment. He knew for sure that he’d heard the name Hydraxon somewhere, perhaps even met Hydraxon, but the memory escaped him. “I’m not sure…”

“I know what he looks like.”

Quilha stared at Mavrah, surprised. “You do?”

“I didn’t remember it at first, but I met him shortly after I got here. He… he saved me from some maniac Matoran that attacked me in the far Star-south sector.” Mavrah shuddered. “Then he… he killed the Matoran that attacked me. It was horrible to watch…”

“Great,” Quilha said. “So we’re looking for a guy that kills Matoran. And we don’t even know why we’re looking for him.”

“Would you know him if you saw him?” Kopaka asked.

“Probably?” Mavrah said.

“Then look,” Kopaka said, sharing his mask power with the Onu-Matoran.

“As long as you do it while we walk,” Quilha said. Ruhko grabbed Mavrah’s hand to guide him, while the Onu-Matoran looked through the Red Star.

Glancing about the Star, Mavrah saw many things that might have traumatized another Matoran. But Mavrah had seen worse, much worse, in his time on the Star.

And then, he saw something familiar. “There! I see him. I see Hydraxon.” Mavrah frowned. “He’s doing something to one of the Toa…”

“Wait, he’s with the enemy Toa?” Quilha said.

“Not exactly; he’s in a lab near the Toa horde. Looks like he’s captured one or something. The rest of the Toa are between us and him.”

“Well, we certainly can’t go back,” Quilha said. “We’ll have to find another way.”

“We could just go through them,” Pohatu suggested. “These walls might block my mask power somewhere, but we can probably still run through regular old Toa. We’ll be past them before they even–”

Quilha stopped walking, turned, and stared at the Toa of Stone. “Is your speed your answer to every problem?”

Pohatu shrugged. “It tends to work for me most of the time.”

“Well, how about using your head for once,” Quilha said. “The Kestora have no powers of their own. How do you think they got control of all the Toa here? You think that maybe they might be able to negate your powers? Or perhaps they’ve equipped the Toa with armor that blocks your speed just as the walls of this place do.”

“Well, then what do you suggest?” Pohatu shot back. “That we wait for Hydraxon to come over here? Or we just continue to hide from the Kestora forever? I thought Ruhko said you guys wanted to beat the Kestora?”

“We beat our enemies by out-smarting them, not throwing power at our problems and hoping it works,” Quilha said. “That’s something you Toa don’t seem to–”

“Enough!” Ruhko snapped. “Arguing isn’t going to get us anywhere. Quilha, I don’t know what your problem is with these Toa, but you need to recognize that they intend to help, and also that they just got here. And Toa, you would do well to recognize this as well. Quilha does have a point: you’ve been here for maybe an hour. We’ve been up here for centuries.”

“And perhaps we would all benefit from looking at things from a different point of view,” Kopaka added. “For example, I’ve already found what I believe to be a way around the enemy’s Toa to get where we need to go. Of course, Pohatu and I don’t know what parts of this star are safe and what parts aren’t, so we’ll need your help to get there.”

“Wait, are we going for Hydraxon?” Quilha said. “I thought we were going to get you hidden from the Kestora?”

Ruhko nodded. “Now that we know how to find Hydraxon, we can always find him again, once the Kestora can’t find you. On the other hand, if we wait too long, the Kestora and their Toa will get to us.”

Kopaka turned to glance ahead, deactivating his mask power as he did so. In that second, something caught his eye, and he frowned, reactivating the mask. Up ahead, he saw a pair of Turaga. One he didn’t recognize, but the other…

“Is that… Lhikan?”

“You can open your eyes now.”

Ivohku opened his eyes and glanced around. He was lying on a bed in one of the revival chambers. Sitting next to him was a silver warrior he didn’t recognize.

He groaned and sat up. His head was still hazy. “Wh… where am I? What happened?”

“You were under the Kestora’s control,” the silver armored warrior said. He held up a small device. “Had this planted on the back of your head, turned you into some kind of mindless drone. But I’ve freed you.”

“You… saved me?” the Toa said. The last thing he remembered… he remembered running into one of the small purple ones, and it had some sort of machine that messed up his powers, and then…

“Yeah, I freed you,” Hydraxon said. “And now, I need your help to capture the others, so that we can save them, too.”

Ivohku was still confused. “What’s… what’s going on here?”

“I don’t really know,” Hydraxon said. “But I know one thing: the Kestora are our enemy.” Hydraxon held up a large blaster. “And they need to go down.”

Author’s notes: Kopaka has some of his memories from his time in Karda Nui, enough to recognize the name Hydraxon, but not remember who he is. Tahu would know, but he isn’t here.
7 Likes

Great as always.

I really like the way you wrote Pohatu and his interactions with the Matoran. He’s my favourite character, and he’s absolutely in character here.

Chapter 7

Toa Lhikan.

His name alone brought a flood of emotion to Quilha. She remembered the team of Toa who had defended Metru Nui, all those years ago. She remembered the Toa she had once looked up to… and then, the one Toa that had changed everything.

But Lhikan wasn’t to blame for that; she knew that much. Mavrah had told her what happened after she had died, or at least what he knew of the story, which wasn’t much. He’d told her that Lhikan had died, or so he’d heard. She’d never seen him up here, although both she and Mavrah had looked. But now, it seemed the Toa had…

“You sure it’s him?” Pohatu asked.

“How many red and gold Turaga with a Hau do you know?” Kopaka answered.

Pohatu shrugged. “Not many. But I know a shapeshifter or two. And didn’t Ihu say to beware of Makuta, or some such?”

“Point taken.” Kopaka said. “There’s someone else with him, a grey Turaga.”
“That would be the guy we’re looking for,” Ruhko said. “He’s a Turaga of Magnetism. Knows a few tricks.”

“There’s something else,” Kopaka went on. “A vicious looking creature, green, with six arms, prowling around near them. Looks like it’s hunting for them.”

“Great, one big green guy,” Pohatu said. “We can take him, right?”

“It might be better if we could get this grey Turaga first,” Kopaka said. “That means getting past the big guy, getting the Turaga, and getting back here. And doing it quickly.” The Toa Nuva of Ice glanced at Pohatu.

“Well, all you had to do was ask,” Pohatu said, just before he dissapeared.

“She’s still out there,” Lhikan muttered.

The grey-armored Turaga next to him shook his head. “W-w-what did you – did you do to this creature, anyway, make her so – so mad?”

“She tried to kill me, back when I was still a Matoran,” Lhikan said. “Dume and his team barely saved me back then. Well, shortly after I got here, and she found out I was still alive… sorta… she intends to finish the job.”

“Wow,” the other Turaga said. “So she isn’t – she was – she was always mad, wanted to kill you? Wasn’t – wasn’t broken by d-d-death?”

Lhikan nodded. “If anything, it made her worse. We need to move. Eventually, she’s going to–”

Whatever the Turaga was going to say was cut off by the abrupt appearace of an orange-armored Toa in front of them, causing both Turaga to jump. “Hey guys,” the Toa said, holding out his hand. “Need a ride?”

Even though she was expecting his return, Quilha still jumped when she saw Pohatu blink back into existence, two Turaga in tow. “Two Toa, as requested,” he said. “No need to pay me, though it would be–”

“Quilha?” the red Turaga said suddenly. “Is that you?”

"You… know me? she said, surprised. And then, it hit her. There was only one reason that Lhikan would possibly know who she was. She opened her mouth to stop him from saying it, but she was too late.

“Of course I remember you. You were the last of Toa Tuyet’s victims.”

Suddenly, all eyes were on Quilha. She wanted to shrink away, to hide. Of course Lhikan would blow that out in the open; she should have seen it coming.

“Wait,” Pohatu said. “Did he say… Toa? You were killed by a Toa?”

“I get it now,” Ruhko said. “I’ve been wondering why you’ve been at these Toa’s throats since they showed up. Now I understand. Some Toa killed you too, and now you’re taking it out on these Toa here.”

“No!” Quilha snapped. “I just… I recognize that Toa aren’t these paragons of virtue that other Matoran see them as. They aren’t perfect. They’re no different than us, except they have powers and stuff.” She glared daggers at Lhikan. “Anything else you care to tell everyone about me?”

The Turaga held his hands up, taking a step back. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were hiding it…”

“That’s the other problem with Toa,” she snapped. “They don’t always know everything, but they think that their power gives them the right to do as they please.” Her mind flashed back to her death. “And sometimes, be it by accident or on purpose, they hurt the Matoran they’re supposed to protect.”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, Tuyet has been… dealt with,” Lhikan said.

“Yeah, Mavrah told me,” Quilha said. “I’m so comforted, trust me.”

There was a long moment of awkward silence, finally broken by Pohatu. “So, uh, I guess we all know Lhikan, but who’s the other Turaga here?”

“I – I am – my name was – call me Grey,” the grey Turaga stammered. “Don’t – don’t remember the name I – I had, back then, you know?”

Pohatu looked at Ruhko. “You sure this is the guy we’re after?”

“Yes,” Ruhko said. “Sure, his head’s a little messed up – apparently, his brain was damaged in his death, some sort of earthquake or something – but he’s still as sharp as ever. And he’s figured out some stuff about the way the Kestora watch us, some that impresses even me.”

“M-m-mix of intuition and luck,” the Turaga stammered. “They – they scan the star, the halls. Some sort of – kind of bio-scan. It t-t-turns out the right frequency – wave of magnetics, can-can stop their scan, can hide you.” The Turaga reached up and touched Pohatu’s back, and he felt a jolt go through him, almost as if he’d been shocked. Then the Turaga did the same with Kopaka.

“There,” he said. “You are-are-are hidden now.”

“Really?” Pohatu said. “It’s that easy?”

“Well, it’s t-t-temporary,” the Turaga added. “Will fade-- will wear off, eventually, soon, and I’ll n-need to do it again, but until then, you – the Kestora cannot see you, unless you – unless you see them.” The Turaga did the same for the three Matoran and Lhikan.

“Trust me,” Ruhko said. “There’s sections of the Star that Quilha has only been able to get to because of…” Ruhko drifted off as he glanced at Quilha, who was staring at the wall, away from the rest of the group, and had been strangely silent the past few minutes.

Pohatu noticed the Ga-Matoran’s sudden standoffishness. “Quilha, look, I’m sorry if–”

Whatever Pohatu was about to say was cut off by a very loud screech, echoing down the hall. “What on Mata Nui was that?” Pohatu said.

“Well, the Kestora might not know where we are,” Kopaka said. “But the big green one does. Because it’s heading right toward us, fast.”

Author’s notes: It was tough figuring out how much Mavrah should know. He might be a bit self-contained in his work, but I would imagine word of three Matoran murders would get around. All Mavrah heard, though, is that Lhikan and Nidhiki dealt with the culprits (he probably heard that it was the Dark Hunters, though Quilha knows better). Lhikan knows Tuyet disappeared from custody, but doesn’t know what happened to her either, and apparently doesn’t care to share that particular detail.
Mavrah did hear about Lhikan’s death from the Toa Metru. Now, of course, he didn’t believe it at the time; I still think he doesn’t, but he at least mentioned the possibility to Quilha at some point.
6 Likes

So Pohatu. :grinning:

Now we have Toa with a name for each element, but Plasma and The Green Jungle.
Is there any particular reason, why Jovan is stuttering?
Also “Grey” really sounds like it is Triglax.
Both chapters are awesome of course.

1 Like

I realized that too, but it was totally unintentional; Quilha tends to call people by traits, and I’ve often described Jovan as a ‘grey Turaga’, so it seemed the most natural thing for them to call him.

That will be explained in a later chapter.

Speaking of which…

Chapter 8

I can smell him.

The Turaga, he’s not far. There are others with him, too; one of them must have helped him escape. Probably Toa. Toa always get in the way of a good hunt, even in this wretched place.

Hmm… you know, it’s been a long time since I’ve fought a Toa. Usually, that annoying little one gets all the Toa here. The Turaga will probably tell them not to fight me, but Toa never listen. Perhaps we’ll fight.

Yes… perhaps I’ll get to hunt a Toa today.

Kopaka and Pohatu might have been hidden from the Kestora, but there was one being they couldn’t hide from so easily: Delara. His enhanced hearing allowed him to hear almost everything on the Star, but it was difficult to parse it all out, to find a certain sound in the cacophony of it all.

He needed to find these two “Toa”. They claimed to be Toa, but they didn’t follow the Code. They were pretenders, the worst kind of Toa. That put them at the top of the list of his targets.

After all, that was what the Toa Code said: Toa must kill.

“Darn it!” Makuta snapped, seeing the two Toa disappear. They were so close…

Were they gone from the Star? Or had they found some way to hide from the Kestora? Makuta knew how Toa worked; they wouldn’t just leave, not by choice. If there was even a chance that the Toa were still here…

Makuta turned to the Toa, and declared, “keep marching to the Toa’s last known location.” Obediently, the Toa horde resumed their march…

Hydraxon frowned. The Toa’s last known location? Were there other Toa here, that the Kestora didn’t have under their control?

If that were the case, Hydraxon had to get to them first. Either they could help him against the Kestora; or, if they refused, he would make sure that the Kestora couldn’t take them. Why let his enemy have another pawn?

Luckily, the Toa Horde wasn’t moving very fast. It seemed that the Kestora’s control couldn’t get them to run. But Hydraxon and his new Toa ally could, and they began to sprint down a darkened passageway, one that hopefully would bring them ahead of the Kestora.

“We should probably go,” Ruhko said.

“You know what, forget it,” Pohatu said. “We can’t run forever. I say we fight whatever’s coming.”

“It took two teams of Toa to bring down the Xutohki the first time,” Lhikan said. “You two won’t stand a chance.”

“Well, we’re Toa Nuva…” Pohatu pointed out.

“We’re also on a mission,” Quilha said. “Hey, icey, you still see Hydraxon?”

Kopaka looked around for a moment. “Yes. He’s not far, but he’s on the move, running. Unfortunately, the Kestora’s Toa are about to be cut off our best route to him, so we need to move fast.”

“I can do fast,” Pohatu offered.

“A – a w-w-wise warrior knows when to – when to fight and when to – to run,” the grey Turaga stammered.

“He’s right,” Lhikan agreed. “Even if you can win this fight, what happens if your enemies get to this Hydraxon before you do?”

“I am getting really tired of running away,” Pohatu said.

“Well, we’re getting tired of being stuck here,” Quilha retorted. “I guess none of us are happy here.”

“When we get out of here, I am going to go find someone I can hit,” Pohatu said. “Say, that reminds me, we still need to find whoever killed Tren Krom and Karzahni…”

“Wait, did you say someone killed Karzahni?” Ruhko said.

Pohatu had opened his mouth to answer, but Kopaka cut him off. “Story time later. Leaving time now.”

“Right,” Pohatu said. “Everyone, prepare for the Pohatu express.” His mask activated, and the group took off running through the halls, finally stopping in front of another door.

“Quilha, you’re up,” Ruhko said. Quilha immediately approached the door, pulling out her tools, and began fiddling with the mechanism.

It rapidly became apparent that this would not be easy. Somehow, this door had been damaged, and the mechanism was stuck. “This might take a minute,” she grumbled.

“We might not have a minute,” Kopaka said.

“Maybe we can–” Pohatu started.

“No,” Quilha said quickly.

“With our powers, we might be able to–”

“I said no!” she snapped, dropping her tools and turning to the Toa of Stone. “This is my work. I am not going to have a Toa who doesn’t know what they’re doing ruin things.”

Her harsh outburst shocked everyone into silence. Everyone, that is, except for one member of the group.

“All right, I’ve had enough of this,” Mavrah said, stepping forward. "I kept quiet when you were being a jerk to the Toa. I kept quiet when you were questioning everything they said and did. I kept quiet when you argued with them over every little thing. But now you’re taking this too far.

“You’re still so hung up against these Toa, just because of what some other Toa did years ago. You say you see the Toa differently than other Matoran, that’s for sure.” Mavrah took another step forward. “Most Matoran might see Toa as paragons of virtue who can do no wrong, but you’re even worse; you see all Toa as terrible people who can do no good, and ignore the heroes who are right in front of your eyes.” He took another step forward, and Quilha took a step back instinctively. “They’re trying to help save us all. Why don’t you try letting them for once?”

Mavrah turned to the Toa. “Now. What is it you want to do?”

“Well, these walls block my mask power,” Pohatu said, “but maybe, if we combine my speed with Kopaka’s ice power, it can–”

“Then try it,” Mavrah said. “Don’t just stand there talking. We’ve done enough of that.”

Pohatu nodded. “Kopaka, think you can make this door vibrate slower?”

The Ice Toa held his hand up against the door, his mask power allowing him to see the broken mechanism. Then, Pohatu’s mask power, shared with him, allowed him to reach into the door.

Immediately, he felt the door try to push him back. Activating his ice power, he supercooled the door, slowing down its vibrations as it tried to kick him out. Now came a furious tug of war, as the door tried to adjust its vibrations to push him out and he constantly changed his vibrations to match it. It tried heating itself, but Kopaka kept cooling it, again and again. It was agonizingly painful, frustratingly slow, to push his hand further into the door, but he wasn’t going to let that stop him. Gritting his teeth, he grabbed the mechanism, careful not to supercool it lest he pass through it too, and pulled it into place.

The door clicked and started to swing open. Kopaka quickly pulled his hand out, shaking it. “All right, let’s go,” he said.

As the group began to move, Lhikan looked at Mavrah. “That was quite the speech,” he said. “Where did that come from?”

“I… know what it’s like to clash with Toa over misunderstandings,” Mavrah said. “I… I guess I don’t want to see Quilha end up like I did.”

Author’s notes: The door scene is something I had in mind since I came up with the walls blocking Pohatu’s power. One of my favorite things to write is coming up with creative uses of powers. Also, I’m sure that stunt won’t have any consequences that will come back to bite our two Toa…
6 Likes