River Hydra

This is another “period” build, inspired by the early 2004 Rahi Building Challenge. I used parts only available up until that time, though as you can see, primarily just the first three years of BIONICLE. I’m pleased with how it ended up looking, and fits the aesthetic of other canon Rahi, in my opinion.

While not inherently evil, the River Hydra is fiercely territorial, even amongst its own kind. This may explain why so few were sighted in either Metru Nui, and later Mata Nui. They did pop up though, especially when an unwary Ga-Matoran wandered too close to a dwelling. Being vengeful by nature too, it sometimes followed Matoran back to Ga-Koro…

48 Likes

Again, hitting the aesthetic right on as always. I’d definitely prefer it to have more heads to match a more hydra vibe, but overall I’m quite impressed with this.

3 Likes

@Winger

Thank you! I actually do have another Guurahk head, but I couldn’t work it into the build satisfactorily. Maybe five heads would work better?

2 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

I will never not like Rahi in this style, and this one looks especially good. I think it has a good color distribution. It’s a bit of a shame that the front legs can’t really move forward and back, but otherwise it’s quite nice.

3 Likes

@MooCowsRock Glad you like it! I also have a soft spot for this style, as you could probably guess. I agree that poseability is a little weak on this one. He can kind of shimmy along with his front legs, or do the crab walk I suppose. I tried another style with greater articulation, but I couldn’t get something I was pleased with that looked as good as the final design.

2 Likes

Which 2004 parts does it contain?

1 Like

@Gringat None. That’s why I mentioned that only parts from the first three years were used. The only 2004 parts available at the time of the contest were the Toa Metru and their Matoran, and I didn’t find the need to use any of those pieces into the build.

Looks official

2 Likes

@N01InParticular Thank you, that’s a great compliment! I try to have my MOCs fit with existing set designs, and in this case, I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine this alongside official Rahi designs we have. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Perfect! It looks like it could actually have been an official set/combo model.

2 Likes

@EVE Thanks a lot!!