Rukah's Moc Topic!

not entirely

3 Likes

I’ve been paying attention to your mocs for a while, and though I do certainly appreciate the quality of them (they’re amazing! - and I really mean it), and I appreciate the custom torsos, I think the lack of dynamic poses is what kinda prevents me from fully appreciating them.

I understand that maybe you might not be great at posing but I think some dynamic poses would make them feel more alive and really bring out the model itself.

As for this moc itself, I like what you’re going for with the shield (how it’s mounted too is also kinda nice); the lankiness is probably ok (please know I am not an expert MOCcist, take my words with a grain of salt). The moc itself is pretty good overall.

At the end of the day though, this is all just advice - you don’t have to take it, but know that I genuinely appreciate the quality of your mocs.

4 Likes

Hahaha yeah definitely. I should probably do better on that…

Thanks! :smiley:

7 Likes

hey looky I made a Dektra render:

Edit:
finished his lore dump as well:

Dektra

Unlike the other Toa Setras, Dektra is blind. He is the team’s Toa of Sonics. The main Kanohi he wears is the Kaukau, or the Mask of Water Breathing. True to its name, it allows him to breathe at great depths underwater for an extended period of time. The Sonic Shield is his Toa Tool, and he uses it to channel his sound-controlling abilities. Despite his blindness, he is skilled at using it offensively as well as defensively, often swinging it at foes, slamming enemies with it, or blocking attacks. Dektra’s element is Sonics, so he can control, create, and absorb sound waves. He must be careful when using his sonic powers, however, as his hearing is much stronger than that of other Toa. His incredible hearing is also an advantage, as this makes it almost impossible to sneak up on him, as he can hear sounds from farther away than his friends can. Dektra also uses his hearing to navigate, as well as echolocation, which is a skill he gained upon becoming a Toa. As far back as he can remember, Dektra has been blind for all of his life, however he knows not to let his lack of sight get to him. He is very easygoing, calm, and friendly most of the time, but in battle he uses his incredible hearing and echolocation abilities to be a skilled warrior. As a Matoran, he trained himself to recognize many different sounds so that he could use his hearing to great advantage. This is helpful in battle. Before becoming a Toa, Dektra lived on the island of Irusia. He worked as a weaver, making colorful carpets and other things out of thread. Despite his lack of sight, he was skilled and dextrous at his job. However, the things he made often had random patterns as he couldn’t see the colors of the thread, though this was not a problem because it made his works valued by the Matoran and Irusians, as no art of his was the same as another. Each and every one of his patterns was unique. Like the other Toa Setras, Dektra was visited by Serti, a resident Toa of Magnetism, and given a Toa Stone along with a cryptic warning of Irusia’s safety. He and the other future Toa eventually made it to the suva on the island, and after activating their stones they became the Toa Setras. Turaga Serti and the other resident Toa, Vedra, came to them and explained that they needed to leave Irusia as soon as possible. They did so, and this prevented their capture during the invasion of their home. Vedra soon became a Turaga as well, as the Toa Cordrus had been created. He and Serti also began teaching the newer Toa Setras about how to use their powers as well as battle tactics. The group wandered for a while, protecting innocents along the way, and they eventually met up with the Toa Cordrus and the four Irusians. They joined forces and began making plans to take back Irusia. The two Turaga began training the Toa Cordrus as well as the Toa Setras.

6 Likes

Ok so I made some updates to Rukah’s torso:

rukah2

rukah4

rukah5

Criticism and opinions wanted, of course.

8 Likes

Also, I finished another Toa.
Letarin, Toa of Air:
Front:

Back:

Side view:

letarin3

Head area:

letarin4

Cyclone Staff:

Cyclone Blades:

letarin6

Weapon storage:

At this point, I’m halfway done with the Toa Setras.

8 Likes

The only thing that really stands out to me in a positive way is the shoulders. I like em.

The connection in this just isn’t possible, is it? Hard to tell

Hate the adding the bricks on backwards… all it does is add an ugly rectangle shape for no real reason.
There are more parts on the moc that I think would make it look better overall if there wasnt just an ugly rectangle there seemingly no reason. It even messes up the colors
As a matter of fact I think if you just went and removed every rectangle technic that seems just slapped on and the mish-mash on the back of the legs it’d be more solid over all.

5 Likes

Wait which connection?

No comment.

5 Likes

Nvm seems on zooming in it may not be what I thought it was

Its worth considering at least

3 Likes

yeah that would be possible irl. The black piece holding the stud is this, and the other black part is this.

well what is so bad about the rectangles?

5 Likes

All they do is add a visual chunk that throws off any shaping. Its like a stain on the eye that just breaks flow for seemingly no positive reason other than the sake of having a technic piece exist on that spot

4 Likes

aaaaah
Which parts on the moc are the worst examples of this?

5 Likes

The spots that have them present

4 Likes

but where are those spots?
I’m the maker of the moc, you’re going to have to point 'em out so I can tell

5 Likes

Use your eyes man try to think independently without demanding every piece of feedback holding your hand through it

3 Likes

uh, all I can really tell is the weapon, the abdomen, and maaaybe the backs of the feet

What I meant was that I was the maker of the moc, so I what I percieve as good parts use you percieve as ugly rectangles
In summary I see it one way you see it another way.

5 Likes

ok chill

if it’s not possible to critique the moc without being abrasive you have the option not to post

6 Likes

They add colour.

Like the arms for example. With owt the studs, the Lowe’s arms would just be one big chunk of dark green, but the studs add a splash of light Greem.

The ones on the spear make the spear tip look more connected, like it’s tied on like a Tarzan Speer.

7 Likes

Okay, so I know I said I wouldn’t comment here anymore, but I thought I’d add my input due to the ongoing argument.

The system parts don’t really look that good. And I’m speaking from experience here, as I tried something similar with Photez’s second version. System parts are typically very blocky shapes which don’t really mesh with any established Bionicle aesthetic. They look tacked on, especially the jumper plates.

I think the only system parts that work really well are studs, which you can fit just about anywhere. Don’t overdo it though.

Also,

Don’t do this. Never do this. Putting aside the fact that it doesn’t really look like anything, this random clump of green pieces is only going to incredibly limit articulation. That hollow area is there for a reason, to accommodate the thigh when you bend the knee deeply. This just completely blocks the slot for no real reason.

8 Likes

Racie is right. Usually I add that kinda stuff because I don’t want to have just a huge chunk of one color.

Yeah, this is definitely a problem of mine. I’ll have to see how much articulation it gets…

5 Likes