(SERIOUS) Why Solek isnt so bad as everyone says (NO JOKE)

Matoro Mahri has redeeming factors. Solek doesn’t.

(Okay, I should say, Matoro has more redeeming qualities. Like, Solek has a unique mask, for example, but then so does Matoro Mahri)

Yeah, that’s why Takanuva was white and grey in 03… wait.

Yeah no.
The half-bent limbs are bad legs, but I can agree on that, but they are FAR better arms then the locked-out arms, which are horrible for natural poses. Having the arms locked in 90 degrees allows for way better, more natural-looking poses, especially fight poses – no one sword-fights with their arms locked out straight.
(Also, IMO, the Kirop limb piece is just a better-looking piece, and has better attachment points, making it significantly more useful for moccing)

yeah, because they aren’t swords. They’re hook blades.
(Though I will agree, maybe not the best weapons for a small set, weapons like that work better for sets with poseable arms)

All the times I’ve heard the av-matoran limbs breaking and the zero times I’ve heard of the wings breaking before now beg to disagree. If you’ve had one break, well, that’s possible, but I’ve never heard of them breaking before.

If you are one of those people who attaches weapon on the side axle hole, there is something wrong with you.
(I’m joking, relax)

Might be the one point I agree with you on, I’ve always been bothered by the inability of bionicle sets to extend their weapons. That said, I don’t think poseable wrists makes up for bad arms, boring colors, useless block pieces(he’s not even a good parts pack), and an overall boring set.

hard disagree

Tanma: perfect limbs, decent colors
Photok: worst limbs, but decent colors
Radiak: Unique limbs, decent colors
Kirop: good legs, not so good arms, fairly boring colors
Gavla: bad legs, BUT it makes a bit more sense for her to be this crawling twisted thing, and decent colors. Also, IMO, the best weapons.
Solek: good legs, not so good arms, fairly boring colors

Conclusion: Tanma is, far and away, the best. Followed by Gavla and Radiak, then Kirop and Solek. Photok is easily the worst, good colors don’t really make up for those awful limbs.

4 Likes

y’know

I never made that connection, but now I really like that mask because of that
shame I don’t own it

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to head a Solekvival of sorts of people revamping, rebuilding, and reimagining the set to be, y’know, actually good. But the threat of those particularly toxic individuals and TTV’s hammer falling on anything resembling them has made me extremely apprehensive of any attempt.

They’re okay masks, they’re just horrible masks in terms of being noble versions of the mata masks. They’re designed as noble versions of the adapted masks, but the canon application really ruins them.

The point I was really hoping someone else would make because I didn’t want to say it - this really reads you-know-who. Undoubtedly staff already has an eye here.

I mean

He’s actually right here - the softer mask-esqe plastic plus the less than careful play of the average kid results in them snapping at the axle a lot. I’ve religiously avoided using the piece solely for that reason.

I’ve been diagnosed with Nuva fan disorder

Welp I’m going away now to build buff Solek and then never post it to the boards. Until next ping, everybody.

“Stand Tall, Stand Proud. Know that you are unique and magnificent. You do not need the approval of others.”
– Jonathan Lockwood Huie Solek The Hedgehog

3 Likes

I really think that people should just get over the whole ‘Solek sucks’ thing because there are worse sets than him in Bionicle, I am not talking about the polybag sets I mean like real sets. I think the av matoran are decent sets and I do find it weird that LEGO didn’t have them built from a few more parts like the prior matoran but still with the agori and star’s I think that they showed that the av matoran body could be made to create more distinct characters, like they could be worse, they could have no pin on axel holes on them

5 Likes

ok so i see some solid levels of logic here in peoples points but i shall choose to ignore that logic and instead look at solek then tell him i hate him right to his face

That doesn’t fix the problem. Its still here.

People bash on Solek because of his different eyes but nobody does to to Matoro. Thats what ive been talking about

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

1 Like

I like Solek, the color scheme doesn’t bother me
Definitely agree about his limbs, they have cool texture and greebles and they’re really underrated in the community

3 Likes

Yes he’s the best looking one but hes slightly worse due to the lime limb disease.

Other than that, I agree with your list.

2 Likes

chuckles in Galidor

That isn’t exactly my point. Matoro has similar colors to Solek (with some light blue as well), but no one brings it up because no one ever talks about Matoro Mahri being a bad set – it’s generally regarded as an okay set, not particularly noteworthy. The only place you’re likely to see anyone complaining about its flaws is the occasional old set review or something.

okay yeah can’t argue with that…

Edit: why do some people’s avatars not show up in quotes?

1 Like

Same thing here. Im on mobile so maybe it wont load? Idk

1 Like

just kidding that doesn’t count

4 Likes

To each their own I guess, as I said I like the mask and personally have never seen anyone saying it’s the worst of the bunch outside of people who parrot the “Solek bad” meme.

Just like every single other AvToran build? lol

That’s fair, I guess I misunderstood your post thinking you’re saying Solek is the worst, not necessarily the most boring. That I agree with, but that still doesn’t him him the worst set ever, as many people think.

Yeah but Photok just looks bad man. Unique =/= better. Skull Scorpio is certainly the most unique Skull Villain, but it’s a pretty bad set generally considered to be the worst of the wave.

You didn’t but lots of other people did. My post wasn’t meant to be the reply to what you said only, rather I wanted to address some of your points as well as the general consensus on Solek (which, I think, is a pretty ridiculous one).

3 Likes

I never understood why people hate Solek. I get that you might not like Av-Matoran but why Solek specifically? He is the same as others.
Can someone explain this mystery?

(I purposefully did not read the topic, before getting a fresh answer)

2 Likes

People hate him because people be people. There are are worse sets out there

3 Likes

So no real reason at all? Why wasn’t is Tanma, or Photok?

2 Likes

So you’re saying … you’re saying Takanuva in 03 is the same level of white and grey as Solek?

because I really hate to break it to you but that’s not how primary and secondary color works.

that’s like saying 03 Takanuva is blue because of the shoulder pins.

2 Likes

joke

laugh

I’ve personally seen a lot of people dunk on the mask for being puffy (something I don’t understand fully) and just looking stupid in general. From where I’ve heard it discussed, it’s the least popular mask from that year.

Thankfully I’m not many people. The actual worst set ever is ultimate dume

Yes, but perhaps like Skull Scorpio, the designers were attempting to be unique with the extremely limited options available to them. When LEGO tells you to make a set containing 14 pieces maximum, you only have so many options.

Sorry, I meant six sets with 14 pieces maximum not counting Radiak. The AvToran build in general is pretty pathetic.

Lol go read the topic

I’ve already explained why and I won’t repeat myself. If you want an answer, spend 15 minutes of time reading the posts.

You seem to miss the part where he said

Or maybe he edited that in after the fact

1 Like

I believe he did ngl

OR, equally likely, ai am big dum dum head.

Matoros Mask is somewhat horrifying in appearance, but it is more than justified in Context. His Mask was explicitly stated to be an amoral mask given to him by the Ignika as a test of character.
That said the only skull-like trait about the Tryna is the big empty “eyesocket”. I think a more fitting comparison would be one of those WW2 Gas Masks.

wwii-army-day-assault-m5-gas-mask_1_f7084c6a52ffad409ba18872e6c31db8

As for

Well, it does, in 2008 specifically. But Matoro was before that. The most likely reason why they made his eyes red is because they were worried that any other eye color wouldn’t be visible through the light blue visor piece.
This may not make sense at a glance because the following year they did use green eyestalks behind visors, but they also changed the masks to be much more open in the back to let in more light as compensation.
If I try to put a green eyestalk into the Mahri I can barely see it.

1 Like

i don’t see the same people who hate on Solek hating on Mazeka when he’s even worse
for example the mask with the extended axle that leaves a gap, 3 grey pieces and none on the arms, inverted torso and no new pieces
with Solek we at least got something exclusive to his set