Set Accuracy In The BIONICLE Movies

Oh good, one other instance (forgot that one)…there’s still everyone else, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR GETTING THIS TOPIC OVER 100 POSTS (my life is complete)

2 Likes

I rewatched it a couple weeks ago…and that ticked me off!

I love this guy.

Much so.

I liked everyone that was not blue or was a skrall. I did like GRESH

shoot me

I like the voices…but all the movies kinda had some issues. but all of the Toa Metru (save Whenua) were pretty nice. and WoS had some issues…like the Rahaga,(other then Norik) Keetongu, and Sidorak…and then Vakama’s voice change…I hated that. I also did not like Onua in MoL or Gali…I dunnno why…

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of the movies.
The characters look nothing like the sets, save for TLR, and they’re all so corny. Characters that were great in the books and comics come off as silly or outright annoying in the films.
The worst were Vakama, Takua, and the Dark Hunters.
Plus, all the actions scenes were so bland, it hardly ever felt like anything was at stake, and thus there was no excitement. The humor was always off, and any sort of drama or conflict always felt artificial.
Personally, I’d have preferred a film made with the models from the commercials, and one that did the characters more justice.

1 Like

I put him under the bland category.

I dunno…I thought Gaaki sounded okay…with that one conversation. Bomonga only had a couple lines and Iruini had a laugh. Not much else to judge. I thought Sidorak and Keetongu sounded okay (How could you not like Keetongu’s laugh?). As for Vakama’s voice change…meh. A more raspy voice would’ve probably been more fitting.

@BillGoodGift
I don’t really see why absolute set accuracy is so important. In TLR’s case I thought it actually hurt it quite a bit. Most of your other points I can understand, though again I must argue that Web of Shadows actually had decent fight scenes.

3 Likes

BOMUNGA TALKED???..

never knew that…

I believe his line was “It did once…it can again.” when they were talking with Vakama. There’s also that motion comic on the DVD (which Kualus got some lines in, too).

3 Likes

Oh! I remember now!..I need to rewatch it on Netflix…

who was the one who said “Toa,Vakama…” when they are talking to him??

I’m not sure…it might’ve actually been Iruini. Guess I need to rewatch the movie too.

Indeed. I will do that when my little bro gets off the Xbox.

1 Like

It’s more of a personal thing, really. If I wanna feel really connected to the characters on screen, it helps a lot if they actually look like the toys I own and love. That way, it becomes easier for me to imagine the scenarios actually happening, and it makes the toys feel cooler too.

TMoL was alright, I thought them having hands and fingers was fine. What I didn’t like about it were how they changed Pohatu and Onua (THESE ARE NOT THE TOYS I BOUGHT!), how they made the two rival toa Gali and Tahu, as opposed to Kopaka and Tahu. I also didn’t appreciate the liberties taken with the designs of Takanuva and Makuta.

The two Metru-nui saga films were the worst in terms of set accuracy. I felt totally disconnected from the Metru toa because they looked so different, and acted so different from what I’d seen in other mediums of entertainment.

In regard to TLR, I thought set accuracy was its best point. Not much else I can say about it.

3 Likes

Fair enough…but given the sub-par designs of the Hordika, I personally thought WoS’s revamps were a drastic improvement, especially the more practical placement of the rhoutaka launchers.

2 Likes

that, and the fact they gave them a hand, I could imagine it getting quite awkward if the toa had to go through the whole movie without hands.

1 Like

I imagine they’d just go from tools to hands randomly without any explanation.

http://i.imgur.com/TAs2QsE.gif

7 Likes

[quote=“BillGoodGift, post:113, topic:7802”]
It’s more of a personal thing, really. If I wanna feel really connected to the characters on screen, it helps a lot if they actually look like the toys I own and love. That way, it becomes easier for me to imagine the scenarios actually happening, and it makes the toys feel cooler too.
[/quote]I’d like to point you towards transformers G1, and how awful the cartoon would have looked if they had used the toy designs.

I understand it’s preference, but the (non-tlr)movie designs looked more like physically possible re-imaginings of the sets, as, let’s be honest, set accurate bionicles could in no way be able to move as well in real life as they do in animations if they had to rely on their own power,
there are no muscles/pistons/motors at major connecting points on their bodies, even more so on the inika build, so they would be stiff at best and unstable at worst.
at the very least you have to admit the miramax designs had more believable anatomy.

aside from the orange, and hips, the details are largely the same, imo more so than MoL.
I don’t see how you can say they look so different.

in fact,

[quote=“Payinku, post:117, topic:7802”]
the miramax designs had more believable anatomy.
[/quote]except for the toa metru, because of their similarities to the sets.

6 Likes

protector of fires arms

also of course size issues ranging from fenrakk to LoSS

2 Likes

I suppose, but the reason I felt so disconnected the Metru nui saga toa were mostly because of the following:

1. Colour scheme. The added secondary colours looked downright strange.
  2. The masks of some of the toa (i.e Vakama, Nokama, and Matau) Vakama lost the fierce fiery look his set mask had, instead of the piercing angles of the original, movie Vakama looked more gentle, for the lack of a better word. Nokama’s is almost completely different, although I must admit, it looks miles better. Since they had to integrate a mouth into the films, Matau’s mask has a weird bird-like mouth thing. I didn’t like it. Not at all.
  3. Proportions, and fine detailing. From the references you provided, it’s pretty clear that the film toa had a much larger chest, bulkier shins, and smaller shoulders. I’m not saying it’s a bad design, per say, I’m saying that it didn’t look like the sets. The detailed aesthetic was also lost in the film toa, the many intricate details on the thigh armor, the angular and geometric design of the shoulders, and the rest of their entire torso areas just looked off.

The film designs weren’t all too shabby, some even looked better than their actual sets. However, they simply didn’t quite capture the essence of the toa as well as it could have. Yes, this is an opinion, and an entirely subjective one. But we’re all entitled to one, aren’t we?

3 Likes

Considering his characterization, that was probably more fitting.

2 Likes

Well, in the comics and in the books he seemed like the kind of character that was appropriately fierce and confident, yet troubled because of his doubtful visions, and his newly-appointed leadership position.
But I understand what you mean, it probably did serve him better.

4 Likes

Set to movie Makuta by Danny-Jay

Anyways, as JTO sneak peeks roll along, I’m seeing more and more that the portrayal of the sets aren’t really accurate (Umarak’s lower legs, the creature’s arms attached to the mini CCBS socket, Kopaka using a skeleton CCBS upper arm, Melum and Terak having double jointed legs etc).

I guess it’s a good thing so that they look more fleshed out or easier to animate, but…if they add something that really wasn’t in the set before like extra armor or weapons…I may feel more unsatisfied with the set in hand