Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I really don’t know what to think about this new 2021 entry in the MCU.

Am I the only one who observed how the MCU transcends into a mirror of the modern comic universe, instead of naturally continuing forward with the events and releases? I mean sure, there is no rule in this, but I really expected them to wait some time before suddenly pushing in modern heroes.
I dunno, maybe Shang-Chi isn’t even that modern. I barely know anything about it.
Tho it will have the real Mandarin. It was just about the time.
And hey: maybe it will somehow introduce a new, cannon version of Iron Fist into the MCU. That would be great.

4 Likes

I guess this isn’t just a new phase; it’s a new saga. We’re getting cornier names, more obscure heroes, and I don’t even know what else. We’re out with most of the old, in with a lot of new.

Trevor Slattery will always be the Mandarin in my heart, no one can change this no matter how loudly they whine

I’m very excited for this movie solely on the prospect that it might kick off a revival of the Bruce Lee era of kung-fu movies.

I’m not nostalgic for them since they were before my time, but I’m a big fan of the pure mastery and art that goes into a really masterfully choreographed fight. And if we’re gonna juice it up with a little MCU mystical superheroic-ness, then that’ll be even cooler!

3 Likes

If we lose current Iron Fist, we lose Daredevil, and that isn’t a trade I’m willing to make. The new Blade actor already has me worried.
But a martial arts superhero movie sounds amazing. If the fight scenes are winter soldier or daredevil level, it could be perfect.

We do have the actress for Minn-Erva (may she rest in peace) in Eternals…

1 Like

Oh wow, didn’t know that. I researched it after you said it, turns out there are quite a few actors with numerous roles in the MCU.

1 Like

There are?

Well the trailers out. Still have no clue who this is but I suppose it looks like a cool Kung fu action movie.

1 Like

Actually Shang Chi has been around since the 70s when Marvel tried to cash in on the Kung Fu craze.

Aw. Still I feel like if they had to make a Kung fu movie what about iron fist? At least people have heard of him no matter the version of him.
Honestly remove the word marvel from the trailer and it looks like some generic karate action movie.

2 Likes

Ehhhh, the public perception of Iron Fist was very much tarnished by the Netflix series. Even if it isn’t canon to the MCU anymore, that series was the most recent exposure Iron Fist has had to the public in a while, and it was less than great.

Not to mention the similarities in the names “Iron Fist” and “Iron Man.” Not saying they’re the same, but to general audiences I’m sure they don’t want to be confusing.

There are, of course, other reasons I think they would choose Shang-Chi over Iron Fist, but I’m not going to get into them here.

1 Like

Well I can just hope he gets the same treatment as the guardians becuase I think it’s a pretty common reaction that no one knows who he is at all.

I wouldn’t be worried!

The MCU has a way of turning obscure heroes into mainstream stars.

Remember, back in 2008, Iron Man was considered a B-list Marvel hero.

1 Like

Still some of them like iron man and the guardians are kinda cool meanwhile this guy just kinda does karate. It’s why I question the choice of character becuase everyone else has some connection to a cool team and story but this guy is just nobody.
I’m sorry but I’m gonna take the guy with mecha armor over Shang chi anyday.

well …

this may be interpreted as a political statement and thus get removed, but I’m talking about this from a purely objective standpoint: Marvel hasn’t had any main characters that are asian.

Anyways, I just watched the trailer and it doesn’t look half bad, not nearly as much as I thought it would.

1 Like

I mean, I get cool powers and gadgets are cool, but what matters to me are good characters.

The Guardians aren’t cool because of what they do, people like them because they’re a bunch of really messed up people who found family in each other.

Iron Man isn’t cool because he has the suit (many of the movies make a point of this), it’s because he’s a man who went from the most selfish person on the planet to someone who so genuinely cares about people to the point of dying for them.

And if cool powers are what you’re looking for, Shang Chi in the comics also has duplication powers. He can make multiples of himself. He also at times wields the powers of the Ten Rings themselves. So there’s that. He’s also at various times been a member of both the Heroes for Hire (Luke Cage’s team) and the Avengers.

But even if he was just a guy who’s really good at martial arts, I don’t think he should be dismissed outright. He also has a really good arc about being an assassin to becoming a hero. He’s someone who fights for his own freedom and the safety of others. And from what I’ve heard about the plot of the movie, we’re going to be getting a tournament type of setup that is likely to feature a lot of other Marvel characters.

So even if he isn’t well-known, I encourage you to give it an honest viewing. The movie has some great talent behind it and really looks like a genuinely good film regardless of its connections to the MCU.

3 Likes

I know. I’m just simplifying it that the trailer really doesn’t look as cool as a mecha and space superhero’s. Becuase hes new he doesn’t even have that MCU connection like black panther did. It kinda looks like the average action movie. Again I hope and am pretty confident that they can do something for him but on a surface level he’s not as eye catching.
I mean I’ll of course give him a chance but so far I think the mcu ended with phase 4 and iron man.

1 Like

After seeing the new trailer, I’d say I’m more excited to watch the movie. It gives us a better understanding of the plot, and who Shang Chi is.

More like, Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten MacGuffins.

I can’t disagree but I am a lot more excited now; It looks like more then some karate movie.

I’ll just be curious about the manderin since iron mans dead and the real manderin is technically non canon anyway only being in a short.

2 Likes