Should bionicle mocs have gear functions?

Hello everyone! even though i maybe relatively new here, i would like to hear your opinions in if bionicle mocs should have gear functions. let me explain, back in 2001 when bionicle first came out we recieved the toa mata along with the rahi. each having their own form of playability while pleasing to look at. they were figures that weren’t just cutomizable but can also have integrated functions in them. as we as a community have been making our own creations and designs, which are all fascinating and unique. but some or maybe even most of us have strayed from gear functions or functions in general. so i propose, as a community, should we all challenge ourselves to make the perfect bionicle moc. mocs that not only look pleasing to the eye but also fun to take off the shelf and play with it like an actual bionicle set? for i believe bionicle is something more than just a customizable figure but also a gateway to making many unique designs and new functions for kids as well as us G-oners. here let me show a few mocs of the toa mata that i have made.

btw here is a link to a video that i made showing the gear functions and as a side note a custom mask that i made

18 Likes

it depends on what the creator wants to do, they can give a moc a gear function or not, it doesn’t really matter. if you want to put a function in a moc, go ahead, no ones going to stop you.

7 Likes

thankyou for the feedback, I was just curious to see what everyone thought about the whole playability aspect

1 Like

It depends on the MOCer, I always try to have a gear function in my MOCs, but usually don’t have the time to incorporate one.

4 Likes

Sometimes you have to give up a function for aesthetics. I don’t incorporate gear functions in my mocs because I’m just that guy, but there’s nothing wrong in doing it yourself.

4 Likes

if i feel like it i will

That’s interesting how you brought that up, I also believe that it’s better to to have a good figure rather than a brick with a gimmick. But at the same token it’s possible to ad gears while having the figure look good as well as keeping possability, do you think functionality is a good built in accessory for future mocs or no?

I never incorporate gear functions, they don’t add anything to the build except a function that really only serves for marketing Lego sets easier.

Yes, if done well. All of my G2 MOCs have some gearing in them…or at least the illusion of a gear function.

Just another mocing option like any other, nothing bad about it.

3 Likes

If you want. Doesn’t really matter. I’d say if it doesn’t stick out or look out of place fine. The only gimmick I’ve used are 2016 torsos and one moc had a sword that could seperate it’d blades like scissors.

1 Like

I think it all narrows down to personal preference. That is, I myself mostly stray away from having a function for the sake of there being a function. If it doesn’t add to the solidity of the MOC, or a specific design would be tarnished aesthetically and functionally with its addition then I have no real incentive to add it. If I feel it would be a crucial element to balancing both form and functionality, then I will.

This sums up my thoughts very well.

I personally like putting usually crappy functions on my builds, gear or otherwise. It really depends on what the creator wants to do, though, but I do like seeing builds with cool functions.

1 Like