Slender Man (2018)

So, the early reviews are saying that while it has really stunning visuals (which I admit it does, they’re really cool), the story and characters are very lackluster. 20% on Rotten Tomatoes also.

3 Likes

And I am entirely unsurprised.

2 Likes

Sony Animations I know this movie is Sony Pictures but ssh. Though I’d imagine the CGI would be done by Animations usually makes things look super pretty.

Seems pretty accurate to a lot of their other movies

1 Like

So I watched it.

Went down basically how I imagined. I saw it, got freaked out for a while, then I moved on.

It was intriguing to see the mythos come to life, and I honestly think they handled it pretty well. However, my girlfriend and I both agreed their approach to explaining Slender Man and presenting the movie’s “message” was kinda hamfisted.

I did really enjoy seeing Slender Man on screen whenever he showed up (a total of probably 4 or 5 times), and there was some really stunning imagery, especially in the penultimate scene.

The characters are forgettable, but they were well-acted. They felt like real teenage girls, which is good, but none of them really have any defining traits and characteristics, and I didn’t even know the main character’s name until the very end of the movie. Of course (MOVIE SPOILER?) it didn’t really matter because they all die anyways.

My thoughts can be summed up by basically saying this movie did everything pretty well except for story and character. It depends on who you are if you think going to see it is worth it.

I think it’s a decent watch when it leaves theaters, and while I’d be tempted to see it again for the images alone, I’d be hard pressed to do so considering my existing unease with the character.

Also, if it were up to me, I’d have gone with more images of Slender Man just standing and watching. That’s one of the most iconic things he does in his mythos, and it’s shamefully only used about twice, and only one of those times is it in broad daylight where you can see him in detail. Instead of doing that and going for the creep factor that Slender is very good at evoking, they went with some pretty cheap jump scares. That being said, I did find the movie’s connection of trees and Slender Man to be pretty cool and unique, especially in the scene I mentioned earlier.

Sounds accurate /s

Guess you peaked my interest enough to watch it pirated at least when it comes out.

MOCer, artist, AND ladies man?! Can he really do it all?

As for the movie review, it sounds like any other horror movie. A big no from me

2 Likes

it’s not very good

i don’t like it

it’s not very good at all

2 Likes

Haven’t heard a lot of good things about this, which is kinda what I expected (although I did hope it would turn up good). Might give it a watch if it becomes available on Netflix, otherwise probably not.

1 Like

Did this actually come out?

Like really?

It did.

And from what I heard, it was terrible.

1 Like

Did we really expect that much to begin with?

1 Like

No, we did not.

It was completely panned by critics and fans alike. It currently holds 7% on Rotten Tomatoes. This is probably due to the controversy surrounding the character and the fact that Screen Gems basically ripped out half the movie before the release.

The film also recently came out on DVD. I saw some clips on YT and I’m really not impressed. From the dialogue to the premise to the way they portrayed the Slender Man himself, it is completely trash.

Why this movie was made, I’ll never know. Every day we stray further from God.