Sokoda's weekly builds

Galaxy Squad is my second favourite space theme, so I’m always happy to see more Mocs for it.

8 Likes

My guy galaxy squad is like my fourth favorite theme of all time.

3 Likes

Oh, I’d agree there. My top 4 would look something like:

1. Bionicle
  2. Mars Mission
  3. Power Miners
  4. Galaxy Squad

Chima would take the 5th spot.

5 Likes

disgusting

2 Likes

Bruh, what do you have against Chima?

wow I’ve never had that many reactions on one post

… well …

I mean, I guess the builds were … interesting. For what they were. But like … what were they? Oh yeah: eagle planes, crocodile boats, wolf jeeps, and lion … tanks? Tanks. And then over time it just devolved into more animals with varying flavors of motorcycle, glider and fortress facade, with the occasional big vehicle that could, no way, tranform into multiple?! And the weird worldbuilding … and the weird netflix show … and the weird story that just dragged on and on …

Idk maybe I’m just intrinsically biased against literal bipedal quadrupeds. Sounds like an oxymoron, right? That’s cause it is.

5 Likes

most anti-chima ppl are at least partially justified. a performance-enhancing drug war influences the various furry and scaly tribes into a war which leads to them both siding against the disturbing arachnos and then against zombified furries which could be the grossest of all, with sets ranging from garbage playset to mildly cool vehicle with a mini-vehicle that they released 15 times.

but anyway, this is the Sokoda topic.

10 Likes

Most of the arguments I’ve heard against Chima have been because of the voice acting, the drug connotations, or the fact that it just wasn’t Ninjago.

Speaking of animalistic minifigures driving animalistic vehicles: That’s a cool Galaxy Squad build.

2 Likes

The Chi are supposed to be a just a power source. I am pretty sure whatever similarities it may have had to drugs were completely unintentional.

Yeah, a “weird” world building that was somehow miles ahead of anything Ninjago had at the time. Even to this day, I think the worldbuilding is one of the weakest aspects of the Ninjago show.
If there is one thing Chima did right, it was the easily worldbuilding. Come to think about it, even Bionicle’s worldbuilding could be considered “weird” to people not very familiar with the theme.

1 Like

I actually want to discuss the good and the bad of Chima more, maybe we should take this to the Chima topic if there is one?
Edit: Seems there’s not one discussion topic for Chima? Only various ask Greg topics etc?

1 Like

maybe

to be fair that was a very minor point I made.

1 Like

boy I sure do love this discussion about sokoda’s galaxy squad model

at least bionicle can’t have furry romance art-
wait

1 Like

There is an entire sub-section in the “LEGO” category dedicated to Chima, but nobody has talked there in ages.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Back on topic, this is something that I’ve been considering asking you: Would it be possible to make a build that exclusively uses colors the pieces cannot come in?

It’d be a bit of a pain, obviously, ensuring there is no version of each piece in any set in the color you would use, but I was curious how you’d go about doing something like that.

This right here. This was my biggest roadblock. Laval should have been an interesting character - instead, I found Cragger to honestly be more compelling. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Wow a lot happened in here :smile:

I’ll just give my thoughts on Chima real quick: I never got too much into Chima at the time, I just spent most of all my LEGO money on Ninjago at that time. But if I look at Chima today it did a lot of things right. Worldbuilding especially was very ambitious and well done in Chima with things like chima online and the whole premisse, the animation was good too for the time. I had my problems with dialogue though and how one dimensional some characters were, but most LEGO themes don’t even have a story that would allow characters to be one dimensional, so it this even a fair critisism?
Here in my weekly builds I often learn to appreciate many old themes when I build something based on them. Same happened to me with Chima. You might not like vehicles with animal heads, but they had some really good brickbuilt animal heads, which is often not that easy to do.

Just my perspective on things.

Haha thank you!

Would actually not be that hard. Stud.io shows you if the piece comes in the color, so I can just make sure all of them don’t :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

wait, it does? where does it say?

Click on a piece you want to recolor, go over to the color palette dropdown menu, and check the box at the bottom labeled “Hide unavailable color.” Stud.io will then show only the available colors based on Bricklink’s database. It’s not a live connection, so it’s not always accurate. For example, some of the old Technic panels you see in the Slizers/Throwbots it will claim only come in two colors when they come in many more.

Also fun fact, the parts listed on the side has exclamation points. If you see a !, that means the piece you put in the model does not come in that color. See screenshot below as a quick example of location in Windows version.

4 Likes

[SWB 121] The Chopper revamp

This was another super fun weekly build. A request I got on Twitter: They asked me if I could build a model based one one of the old LEGO McDonalds toys.
I choose “The Chopper”

Picture Original

All pieces used come in these colors!

Stud.io-file: [SWB 121] The Chopper revamp

31 Likes

I actually have two of the original set and played with them so much when I was younger. Those guys fought valiantly against the evil forces of the Pendulum Noses (LEGO 2743 Pendulum Nose | Brickset). Often they’d team up with the Loudspeakers (LEGO 2742 Loudspeaker | Brickset) to form horrifying combiners with extra pummelling power for decimating the Pendulum Noses.

Eventually they made peace to take on the mastermind behind everything, the maniacal Quattro-Leg (LEGO 2729 Quattro Leg | Brickset). To defeat him, they formed one massive combiner with the Pendulum Noses, and I distinctly remember I started by switching this guys chopping arms out for the ‘nose’ pieces, giving him freakish whip arms.

7 Likes