Sovereign: New Age - RP Topic

“Heh heh…yeah.” Kanei nervously laughed before turning back to face the front of the group, he inhaled through clinched teeth. what an odd fellow.

though there was something to be taken from what he had said. I have still no idea what we’re doing here.

3 Likes

“See? Glum.”

Holland trails off into silence.

Briefly.

“So, my friend, where are you from, and what sin did you commit against the gods to end up on this suicide run?”

1 Like

“Me?” Kanei turned around he had to come with a lie quickly.
“particularly good thief I am… err was. that life is far behind me now.” he lied

3 Likes

Bren at this time was already overwhelmed. The Sunstone in his hand glowed with a warm energy that he had never felt before, not even in the weapons of Esur’s workhouses. Its light diffused into the dusty air, if you could even call what lies beneath Gravesbane “air,” illuminating the strange markings along the ceiling and the intricate decorations along the walls.

Bren was here for research, but at present there was nothing around, no technology of note that ought to draw his attention away from the strange stone in his hand, least of all anything of value to Esur. For the moment.

At least, that was until the light glinted off the metallic cage on someone in front of him. In all the chaos and crowd of entering the city, Bren had completely missed this stranger, not terribly younger than himself by the looks of it. Bren wondered for a moment why this boy was sent on this mission before his mind flooded with curiosity for the contraption that almost seemed to consume him. By his garb, Bren could tell he was one of the Scholars, or at least allied with them.

Could he know about these stones, I wonder? And that machine he wears…what-

Bren’s thoughts were interrupted by the voices ahead of him. He couldn’t help but overhear, but…

“Um, f-forgive me,” Bren muttered, rushing forward to make himself known.

“But why do you call this a deadly mission? Gravesbane fell years ago and deactivated, what could possibly still work down here that could harm us?”

4 Likes

He seems to snap serious for a second. “You ever fought one of those automatons of his? A fall down the stairs wouldn’t stop them.” He smiles again, although less wide this time. “Although, it was a pretty hard fall. Also, ever heard of Gores? Nasty bat-things, perfect for dark places like this. Plenty of corpses to feed on, too. Though we’d probably smell them if there were any.” He sniffs, and then wrinkles his nose, his eyes widening. “Actually …”

And then laughs again when you blanch.

4 Likes

Iosif had taken quite the startle when Bren darted forward to join what little of a conversation this was, but as Holland continued he desperately wished he hadn’t noticed. The idea of man-eating bats likely infesting this entire place and likely taking a fancy to the unfortunate imbeciles delving to these depths was not a concept he was content with picturing, much less living out.

Holland’s laugh at the end of his jest did nothing to alleviate Iosif’s fears, nor stop his free hand from gripping loosely at his tightened neck.

5 Likes

When Holland’s laughter starts to die down, Hereward adds some comments.

“We wouldn’t be here otherwise. And even if there aren’t dead to fight, these are still ruins. It won’t be so nice to traverse for long.”

4 Likes

confident that Kanei could escape this conversation, and Holland wouldn’t notice until it was far too late, he scanned the crowd and spotted a familiar face Thank goodness! relief flooded Kanei as he made his way over to one of his peers.

“Psst! Hey kid!” Kanei whispered, he was eager to have an actual conversation with someone he recognized. hopefully talking about something the two had in common might help him relax. @Ghid

3 Likes

Iosif jumped a little, his cage rattling loudly to inform everyone he had been disturbed.

There were few people not expressly listed as his superiors, as the Scholars who journeyed with the party were more than eager to use him as a verbal punching bag on the journey over, and would likely only increase in their enthusiasm the moment things started going wrong - with Iosif along for the ride, they might even jeopardize things intentionally just to guilt him. At least, that’s how it felt.

However Kanei was one of the very few exeptions, and having served as the source to vent for so long, he was itching to have the same opportunity. Plus, he could always say it was Kanei’s fault if he got in trouble for talking… Right?

“What.” He grumbled.

5 Likes

“How are you holding up?” Kanei asked Losif as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

4 Likes

The Verdant Paladin turned to see what the noise was, and noticed Iosif in his strange cage. His heart gave a twinge and he almost cringed. What have they done to that poor child! he thought. He decided he should ask the poor child. Maybe he could figure out some way to help him. He suddenly turned around and headed right for the strange child. Normally, going against the flow would be hard for most people, but not for him. Everyone just quickly moved out of the way and averted their eyes. Once he got to approximately the same area as the kid, he fell in stride once again. Then he addressed Iosif. “Hello, what is your name?” He says to Iosif.

3 Likes

Kanei jumps the moment he spots the verdant Paladin move towards them, he instinctively moves himself in between the two, despite how reckless it might have been. “Who are you?” he asks skeptically

3 Likes

“I am The Verdant Paladin. Who are you?” He replies

2 Likes

“Kanei.” He responds, his voice filled with concern.

What could this Paladin possibly want with the kid?

3 Likes

OOC:

siIvagunner or silvagunner?

IC:

“Terrible.” Iosif grumbled again. “Keep talking and it’s bound to get worse. You can find out whether that’s for me or for-”

Iosif turned his head sharply towards the Verdant Paladin with a bitter glare, having unintended enjoyment from being snappy towards Kanei, and felt his eyeballs bore deep holes clean through the back of his head. His mouth opened for a moment in a silent stutter as he prayed to whatever he could that some saving grace would save him from this embarassment.

Okay, well… That’s less than what he had in mind.

While the pair communicated in idle chitchat, Iosif had only a few moments to regain his balance after someone so rudely jumped in his line of sight while he was already walking over his own feet trying to both look in terror at this goliath weirdo and walk like an orderly and decent human being. It ended with him flailing his limbs out silently, practically flying backwards, and slamming himself against the wall before sinking to the floor.

Would it be illegal if I attempted to skin him?

4 Likes

Kanei, once more, almost jumps out of his skin. “Ah!” he whips around to face Iosif and sees him on the floor. Kanei shoots The verdant paladin a particularly nasty Glare before kneeling next to his fallen comrade and sticking out his hand so that he may help him up. @T4k4nuv4

3 Likes

The Verdant Paladin stops and looks down at the two younglings with concern (although to the other two, it probably looked more like disappointment). “I’m sorry, I did not mean to startle you. I was just curious about the strange device that you wear” he says, then thinks to himself, and how it could be removed.

3 Likes

Iosif rubbed the back of his head and - as much as he didn’t want to - opened his eyes… To the sight of Kanei kneeling before him like a noble prince.

One which Iosif aimed a hearty slap to the face of. Movement wasn’t necessarily easy for Iosif, but motivation could be compelling.

“That’s none-”

Then Iosif caught sight of him again. Yeah, talking out of line was doubly a bad idea here. With some obvious difficulty - and a poor attempt to mask it,- Iosif slidback up the wall and to his feet, stuffing the catskin along the inside of his cage and cradling the Sunstone in one arm.

His attempt to look irritated and insulted conflicted heavily with his concern about being flattened into a paste for breathing wrong.

4 Likes

The Verdant Paladin gave the pair another look of concern. Such a skittish pair, these two he thinks. He figured he probably wouldn’t get any more out of these two, so he decided he’d just slip to the back of the group to keep an eye on them. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt a bit protective of them, especially the caged youth. “If you ever feel like talking about it, I’ll be in the back” he says to Kanei an Iosif. Then he moved to the back of the group with little trouble.

3 Likes

The procession stops.

2 Likes