Space Bridge: a Transformers: Dawn of a New Age short story

They say that the void was not meant to be crossed. Empty, cold, harsh, it stands as a barrier between civilizations and peoples, an impenetrable barrier. But today, that barrier no longer exists due to the efforts of Sentinel Prime!” — Cybertronian news announcer

Mixtape set down his welder. The last of the power supply cables had been installed, and he had sealed the last of the wall panels in place. They were massive, a circle of monolithic metal pillars stretching into the starry sky, casting a deep shadow over the Cybertronians below. To one side stood Loadmaster, who had personally financed this new space bridge. It was a vital link connecting the city of Chalyx to the main shipping terminal in Iacon.

“Are we ready to pack up?”
Loadmaster had set down his tablet, and was busy packing up some tools, as the others were doing the same. It wasn’t often that the merchant would help in manual labor, but when he did, he worked fast and efficiently, almost as well as a Constructicon.
“Yes,” Mixtape replied. He began loading the welding equipment into its crate, a feeling of awe still in his mind as he stared at the space bridge. Soon, it would forge a link across the vastness of space and through time, allowing supplies to cross light-years of space without the need of spacecraft.
“I need someone to volunteer to guard the construction site until tomorrow,” Loadmaster said. “I’m afraid that there may be sabotage if we don’t keep up the appearance of work, what with rumors of Quintessons floating around. The festival may have ended peacefully, but we must stay vigilant. It’s not often that Iacon has that much peace…”
Mixtape nodded.
“I’ll volunteer,” he said. “I don’t have anything else going on.”
“All right, and thank you!”
Loadmaster smiled, obviously grateful.
“I’ve got an order coming in tomorrow that includes a good bonus for all present for the overtime you’ve put in. Plus a full week off once this is up and running!”

It was dark. Mixtape was busy placing warning signs and stripes on the metal plating. That would make it easier tomorrow, no need to herd bystanders around…
He stopped. He heard something moving. A faint creak as of stiff cogs. He turned to look at the space bridge. It was dark, except for a circle of light in the center of the pillars, where the stabilizer fields were active. He stood up, looking for the source of the noise. There was nothing, yet still he stared.

The light seemed to pulse, a faint glow and fade, like the beat of an organic heart. It was glowing a slight blue… or was it? He stepped closer, slowly, carefully. The light was changing, turning darker, stronger. It was no longer blue, but black, black as pitch, with stars shining in it. It seemed to Mixtape that he was staring into a wall with the universe staring down on him. Suddenly, the scene shifted, spinning, speeding. Stars flew past, stretching until it seemed a tunnel of light, with a glowing object at the end. He staggered, falling to his knees. Then it stopped. He saw floating in space a dark ship, black armored, with but a few lights visible.

Do not disclose my presence.
He looked around wildly, but saw no one. Nothing but the ship on the flat wall of stars.
My business is not with you. Not yet.
Then it was gone. The space bridge was back to normal. He blinked, fear running through his mind like a blaze of electricity. Should he call Loadmaster? Alert the Knights? Would anyone believe him?

2 Likes