[SPOILERS] Ninjago Crystalized

I just finished watching crystalized part 2 and I was disappointed. All the crystalized villains were forgettable and I forgot they even existed while I was watching and IMO, crystalized isn’t the best season, but it’s ok. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

i think it was ok, then ending was not as good as hoped thought
and the CotCK was very under used

What?

Agreed, but I pretty much expected that from the start.

Crystallized had a great season finale, but as a sendoff to the whole saga it just doesn’t quite cut it. There’s literally no lasting consequences to the ninja, Nya just gets her powers back (that erases every last bit of impact Seabound had, nice job season 15), there’s so many loose ends, Oni Lloyd is a debacle in itself, the Ninjago Overture would have fit much better in place of Sally’s song, and the CKC was completely wasted (Aspheera literally does not show up for 10 consecutive episodes, Vangelis has zero lines except for when he fights Cole in episode 29 for like 10 seconds, Mr. F is practically useless and just gets crushed by a billboard, all the Mechanic ever did was taunt Nya about her lack of powers and get his arm chopped off by Okino, another cameo character with no lines, and Pythor didn’t even do much. I guess Harumi was the only member that wasn’t wasted, her redemption was good to see). It’s kinda weird to me that Racer 7, or Blazey H. Speed, of all characters, plays a major role in an episode or two, and Lou, Ray, Maya, Ed, Edna, Benthomaar, Vania, and Unagami literally show up for Iess than a minute and have zero lines. At least the ninja could have reunited with their parents, I was expecting Kai and especially Nya to be overjoyed and vice versa at the sight of their parents. The final time in the entire saga Lou, Ed, or Edna spoke was in Hands of Time, and that’s really disappointing. I was hoping “Return of the Ice Emperor” and “Compatible” would have some serious Pixane moments, such as Zane and Pixal fighting the Vengestone Army and Zane getting seriously injured, and Pixal dying in battle to rescue Zane after saying her goodbyes to him just like how Nya did so to Jay in “Nyad”. But episode 24 ended up being the worst episode of the season, and “Compatible” was ruined by Fugi-Dove and the gang (although Fugi-Dove is legendary).

3 Likes

I actually recognized “I am the Titanium Ninja” soundtrack in crystallized. They reused I am the titanium Ninja from Tournament of Elements.

I was disappointed by the Overlord dialogue. The rest of the villains were barely there throughout the second half. The plot consisted mostly of stitched together references to and cameos of past seasons from all across the series. The entire mayor arc was cut short. I did’t like how they handled Garmadon. He is mostly played for laughs and some of these moments are really in the wrong place.
I liked the Devourer confirmation, that was long overdue. And I liked the ending scene, even though it did not explain a lot about the consequences or conclude any character arc except maybe Garmadon’s.
The ending put quantity over quality. It is not terrible, but not iconic either. Season 2, 3 and 9 had better staged final battles. And I honestly think March of the Oni did a better job telling a “final” story. Despite it having an underwhelming final battle I think it did better at bringing Ninjago to an end.It told less and therefor had to wrap up less in the end and thus could give the main set of characters all attention.
After Crystalized I now have a lot of questions regarding the new ninja, the mayor, the council (especially Mr F), Ronin, Soto, Killow, Skylar, Ultra Violet, Harumi and Fugi-Dove and the relationship between Garmadon and Lloyd. There was a lot of stuff left unclear.

Agreed. March of the Oni made a better finale.

1 Like

It is a shame that having mini bosses rarely works in tv shows, especially when there are grunts beneath them. It just divides the screentime too much, for those who ultimately don’t have much to do besides split the main cast. I dislike how similar garmadon was to his movie counter-part considering the different tones. Speaking of themes, I think it would’ve been interesting for Lloyd to use his oni side while riding the elemental dragon, having two warring sides unite to defeat him.
Many things were underutilized, and there are many things that could work better now that we have a full arc for the show. The lack of consequences is always a problem in a kids show, and there is some lessening to civilian casualties knowing they will revert. Also the villains, seemingly facing no consequences for their actions that we know of, or perhaps helping rebuild is a sort of community service.
March of the Oni was a bigger threat, threatening the realms as opposed to just ninjago city, a grander finale. Season 2 was perhaps the best ending, for being a concise story over 3 years, though it has been a while since I watched it. I am glad it continued though, it has been a good time.

I think I will view this similarly to Once Upon a Time. It has had it’s finale, and I think it has sailed its course. There may be more produced, but I will likely leave it here.

3 Likes

OH MY GOSH THEY ACTUALLY DID IT
THEY TIED IN JUMP UP KICK BACK WHIP AROUND AND SPIN

3 Likes

As if they never knew what it meant after all this time of listening and singing the song in many seasons. What a coincidence that they forgot right in the final battle…

2 Likes