Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) Discussion Topic

In TLJ, the “battering ram” the First Order uses to break down the door of the Base on Crait is described by Finn as being “miniaturized Death Star tech.”

Not an actual Death Star, no, but directly derived from it…

2 Likes

Rebels and Disney’s Clone Wars, other than major plot moments, have Jedi avoid killing most of the time, which is one of my least favorite aspects of their animated series. With this already being an annoying factor to me, you can probably imagine the order 66 episodes which are nearly completely built around that would be frustrating

Hah. If anything, you could argue that Rebels’ Jedi kill more “people” (depending on how you define people in star wars) than the Jedi of the Clone Wars. The rebels show very little mercy to stormtroopers. If the troopers are shooting at them, they shoot back, and they shoot to kill. Most of the Clone Wars saga’s good guy killcount is battle droids.

Oh, the horror, just imagine someone actually having a moral dilemma when being faced with the idea of having to kill their friends and comrades to protect themselves. Especially Ahsoka. It’s been established on numerous occasions that Anakin and Ahsoka in particular got super attached to their clones, why are you mad that she’s acting in-character? This is quite literally the entire point of the finale, to highlight the tragedy of order 66, former allies turning on each other and being forced to kill in cold blood. This argument makes no sense lol

6 Likes

:point_up: This.

I get your frustration with the Order 66 thing, but I actually thought it was a nice change of pace from the other Order 66 events we see, such as in ROTS, the comics, and Jedi: Fallen Order. Pretty much every Jedi, even Obi-Wan and Yoda, killed all of the Clones who turned on them. Ahsoka showing a reluctance to kill her friends actually struck me as being more realistic. I can’t fault the Jedi for defending themselves, obviously, but there haven’t been many reflections on how they felt about having to kill men who, until that point, had been friends to them.

5 Likes

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but that is very different.

A. It isn’t a planet killer. Nowhere close.
B. It isn’t a major part of the movie, and only shows up at the end.
C. The heroes don’t destroy it.

I’d argue the “miniature death Star” was just a nod to the fact that it existed, to make the story feel more connected.

3 Likes

It is, but it still amounts to a mention of the Death Star. Either way, the general point still stands, which is that Disney seemingly loves the Death Star, to the point that we’ve seen three movies from them with planet-killing technology, as opposed to two in the OT (one-and-a-half, really, if you note that the Death Star II didn’t blow up any planets).

Maybe it’s not Disney, but the directors they hire…one of them, in particular, seems to like Death Stars…

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison, since you’re comparing three movies to five.
And if you count the prequels, II had the plans for the death Star, while III actually had the death Star. That’s four movies of the original six having/mentioning a planet killing weapon.

2 Likes

Pardon my miscommunication it’s more about the appearance of the takedowns and stuff. They seemed really repetitive and in creative. Same with rebels, everything being deflect lasers, push this group down, run away, repeat.

1 Like

I mean, I guess? I wasn’t really thinking about it, I was kind of focusing on, y’know, the plot. And the characters. In regards to clone wars at least, I can’t say much for rebels there other than some wasted potential. But you do you I suppose.

3 Likes

The plot was great, but in refuse-to-kill scenes, if it doesn’t look good it’s hard to enjoy to me. Not sure why, but it’s the same with most things I’ve watched

Good points, though I give the Disney films a bit more heat for that. Rogue One I have no issue with, as both it and the Prequels reference the Death Star as a way to enhance the main story of Episodes I-VI.

The Sequels really didn’t need to have more planet-killing superweapons as their primary plot devices, and they shouldn’t have, in my mind. That idea got very old very fast, and it almost made it comical when TROS included, essentially, thousands of Death Stars, which should’ve been a terrifying thing, but never panned out because they weren’t even used. It was a bit of a waste, I think, and there were many more things the Sequels could’ve done instead of more Death Stars.

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve been going through Rebels for the first time recently, and while there are times when the Rebels do indeed shoot to kill, there’s an awful lot of stunning and knocking out of Stormies compared to the movies. One episode I saw last night (season 4 episode 4, I believe) even had Saw Gerrera stun a couple of Stormtroopers, which I thought was borderline-out-of-character.

That being said, I actually like having Jedi go to great lengths to avoid killing. But sometimes it does get a bit ridiculous imo.

3 Likes

It would work better with better choreography on the fights, using all sorts of different creative means to avoid killing rather just pushing, deflecting, and chopping guns

1 Like

This is part of a larger problem that’s present in both Rebels and now TCW. Sure, the main Rebels crew often shoot stun blasts and stormtroopers or shoot them in the leg (you can still see them writhing around on the floor in many episode). This could have been a really great opportunity to explore the moral complexities of violently fighting a dictatorship that conscripts your neighbours (as established very clearly in the S1 Rebels episode “Breaking Ranks”). But we never get that. We never get episodes of Rebels that really focus on life from the Stormies’ perspectives, or even let any of the adult troopers take off their helmets. Instead, what we do get is (Rebels Series finale spoilers inbound) a finale to the episode where the Rebels litterally blow all of the Imperials up off-screen. They do the same thing that Luke did to the Death Star in Episode IV way back in 1977. And you’re telling me we’re supposed to be rooting for these good guys after they murder hundreds if not thousands of military personel (many of whom would have been non-combatants)?

Now regarding S7 of TCW, I would that Ahoksa does kill. A lot. It’s just all implied.
During their descent towards Mandalore, every single Maul Mando that Ahsoka knocks out or slices through the jetpack of is almost certainly dead. They’re gonna fall out of the sky and hit the ground at 100 miles an hour. Unfortunately, the episodes pretty much never address this (unlike the Karen Traviss TCW novels, which repeatedly hammer home the real costs of war).

Ha, ha funny joke :wink:

Are you sure we watched the same Star Wars? Cuz Jedi kill… a lot. Obi-Wan kills… a lot. Luke kills… a lot. Ahsoka kills. A loooooot.

Before you say “oh well, most of the kills are just droids”; I would counter argue and say that droids in TCW are almost all characterized as self-aware. If a lobotomized non-verbal astromech unit gets a heroic send-off after he sacrifices himself, then why don’t we treat the battle droids, which the show consistently reminds us are self-aware as fully cognizant beings eith equal rights as well?

I highly recommend Karen Traviss’ Republic Commando Order 66 novel. It delves deep into the psychology of clone troopers and a few Jedi during Order 66 (and weaves in an out of ROTS just like the Siege of Mandalore).

1 Like

because droid rights character ha ha funni joak :roll_eyes:

In all fairness, it’s not like most of Star Wars media itself takes the idea of droids being fully self-aware individuals deserving of equal status seriously. It likes to be very selective about which droids it intends to be taken seriously and which ones we’re meant to think of as robots, and I can’t blame the fandom for mirroring that mindset given that fact.

2 Likes

I personally just think of them as robots with very realistic mimicking of awareness

You could argue that, but it’s not a fact. I watched obi wan’s kill count, and it was only ten live kills. I took out the four from the unfinished CW episodes. I’m not sure if those are canon.

Very good insight.

Yeah, that wasn’t quite the best video to prove my point.

From what I’ve heard, the story group are treating the produced Clone Wars eps as “canon” in that the events they depict happened and have the potential to impact/tie into future stories. Of course, the details are liable to change (as illustrated by the discrepancies in how the siege of Mandalore was depicted in the Ahsoka novel vs. the final season 7 episodes).

3 Likes