Star Wars Topic

This afternoon I heard Goyte’s “Somebody That I Used To Know” on the radio for the first time in a while. Midway through the song, I remembered this (rather outdated) Star Wars parody video:

But then, not long after that, I came up with the idea for my own take on the song: one that’s specifically about Lego, and how it, er…doesn’t seem to have the charm that it used to have. I do not have the time or resources to shoot my own parody video, but I can write lyrics.

Quick disclaimer: This does not 100% reflect my opinions. It’s meant to reflect those of the AFOL community at large.

Now and then I think of when I was a youngster

Like when I thought I’d play with Legos till I died

But then you canceled all my favorite themes

And tried to become even more mainstream

By tying in cheap mobile games with your new products

You’ve gotten addicted to too many licensed IPs

Rehashing City police, always police

And when you want an adult audience

You put out lots of big, expensive sets

While having classic themes get screwed over

But you didn’t have to cut them off

Make them like they never happened and AFOLs are nothing

I don’t even need your love

You treat me like Galidor and that feels so rough

No you didn’t have to stoop so low

Give your IPs proper marketing and they’ll sell better

You think that you don’t need them though

What happened to the Lego that I used to know?

Now and then we think of all the time we screwed you over

We had you keep guessing about our anniversary set

But our business doesn’t run that way

We don’t care what they have to say

We think that you should let it go

Because you just seem so hung up on the Lego that you used to know

But you didn’t have to change it all

No more alternate builds to inspire creativity

I don’t even need your love

You treat me like Mega Bloks, that feels so rough

No, you didn’t have to give it up

Do we really need another five years of Ninjago?

It’s evident that you think so

The Lego

(I used to know)

The Lego

(That I used to know)

The Lego!

1 Like

hahaha
k this i like

1 Like

not bad

1 Like

So I tried watching the first couple episodes of Boba Fett. Gonna be honest, I find this to be a big slog to get through. The action is poorly choreographed, and I’d be ok with slower pacing if there was meaningful content during that time but it’s just taking its sweet time seemingly for the sake of it.

Any episodes I can skip to that are actually worthwhile?

2 Likes

The last two episodes before the finale

4 Likes

:dizzy_face:

no.

2 Likes

I liked a lot of it, and didn’t like a lot of it. Unfortunately, they’re all muddled together, so it’s hard to skip anything.

I really like the finale, though, I thought the action and meaningfulness of the characters was far more well done in (certain parts of) it.

3 Likes

:dizzy_face:

ok ok ok but like

1 Like

I guess I essentially just mean the Fett VS Bane fight. If the entire show was more about Boba Fett’s redemption (I guess it sort of was, but it wasn’t very focused), and Cad Bane served as a reminder of who he once was, the show could have been really good, but we only really have the one scene.

However, I really want a Book of Boba Fett Season 2, because I know the show has the potential to be really good if it would just choose a focus and stick to it. And get Mandalorian Season 2 level action.

5 Likes

Tanking blaster fire and aim botting every enemy?

2 Likes

Honestly, I would absolutely take more of this. The gaffi stick, too, was a really fun fight scene.

1 Like

Fun maybe, but with absolutely no tension. There is very little struggle in most Mando fights.

2 Likes

Since it seems to be the topic of this discussion right now, I’ll say a couple of things about The Book of Bob Fat as well.

!WARNING! spoilers lie ahead!

I have very mixed feelings about this show. I enjoyed the first half of it with its slow pacing and all the sand people shenanigans quite a lot. I liked how they portrayed Bob Fat as this grumpy old man who wants to live a quiet life. This was a pretty fun and engaging character… and then they almost completely forgot about him for the rest of the show and focused mainly on Tin Woodman, his pet gremlin and CGI Mark Hamill.

Like, literally, they dedicated two entire episodes to pet gremlin’s space samurai training under CGI Mark Hamill and Tin Woodman building his new space boat, and there was literally zero Bob fat in them… in a show about Bob fat… crazy, right?

And this is my main problem with the show: it feels more like an extra season of The Mandalorian with Boba fett in it than a show about Boba fett. (Whoops I forgot to intentionally butcher all the names in this paragraph, oh well…)

Also, like many people have said, the action was quite weak. Bob’s duel with Chad Pain (or whatever that blue alien cowboy mercenary’s name was), that was supposed to be the climax of the show, felt so underwhelming. Same goes for almost every other battle scene.

But when they first showed us Chad Pain I literally got chills… mainly because I had watched Duplicate Wars and knew who he was and what he was capable of… and then he didn’t do anything significant and they killed him in such an unremarkable way…

I could continue, but I think you get the idea… This show gets six gaffi sticks out of ten from me. I would give it five if not the soundtrack from the end credits. Now it’s among my favourite pieces of Star Wars music. I don’t know why everyone’s talking about Tatooine Rhapsody when such a gem exists

Also, Disney totally stole that name for the show from @Ghid. We should sue Disney.

Note: despite all the butchered names (I really have no idea what got me there) I was actually being serious

6 Likes

true - but none of us know any lawyers - all my friends make sandwiches or have no life
Mabye go on judge judy - not gonna lie i would watch that episode, that would be very entertaining

3 Likes

I think my biggest complaint about the show can be summarized in this:

In the interviews for Mandalorian, the directors stated something along the lines of, “Every second Boba Fett is on the screen must be made the most of. You don’t know how much time you will have with this beloved character, so he’s got to be incredible in every moment.”

The show did not live up to this idea.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Boba just killed a man

namely Chad Pain, the name of which made me giggle

THEY DID!!!1!!1

Bob Disney I’m coming for your eyeballs

5 Likes

Personally, I love the way that chad pain died. Practically undefeatable as a gunslinger, I think it makes a sort of poetic sense for him to be killed in a way that wasn’t on his terms. However, that does not excuse his limited use within the show, especially when it could have strengthened the themes of growth and confronting your past.

6 Likes

I’m glad Cad Bane is dead

5 Likes

Cad Bane didn’t follow Disney’s most important model:

Don’t ask questions. Just consume product and then get excited for next products.

6 Likes

Give the topic some love for gods sake, its may the 4th.

May the 4th be with you

4 Likes