State of the Contests Update

Keep in mind that Gregs official wording was that they all were about the same rough height so things like Onua and Pohatu being shorter than the rest can still be canon and probably is. What we don’t know is which of the Inika or Mata is the canon scale. Or if we should even use the toys to measure scale at all?

With that being said I do feel like overlooking the toys mainly because they have weird scaling is silly (Not to be disrespectful, I have a pretty good rational here so please hear me out.).

While the scaling of the sets are of the scales(I’ll stop, sorry) the proportions aren’t I think its important to make the destinction that while most Bionicle are humanoid they are not humans , they are an alien race built in the image of another alien race and because of that features it own range of proportions. Note: not all species have the same proportions but cases like the toa have unified proportions through out with minor exceptions for one or two contest winners even though proper scale is not present. Something I clearly don’t want is a Brutaka sized toa figure to be canon because we don’t need to mess with the scale more than the toys already have, I don’t necessarily think it needs to be enforced however.

Either way as a tip to everyone I do encourage visually analyzing the sets for inspiration because it will certainly help you hit that golden spot of looking like it belongs in G1. There are subtle things designers constantly do while designing products for a brand, like including repeating patterns or design elements between their products. Look at Apple for example, while not sharing the base shape their macbook has more incommon in design with the Ipad and Iphone than you may realize at first glance.

So since Bionicle was a sub brand of LEGO and Technic there is bound to be similarities in the design of sets as well as in parts to find.

I feel like I’ve gone on for long enough now, also have a tedtalk about visual literacy that I find really interesting. By all means let the creative juices flow.

Also once again I definately don’t have anything against what you said @ToaMagna just wanted to share some stuff to consider. I don’t think any of it should necessarily be considered for the rules but I think it should be in the back mind of creators at least.

4 Likes

First off, I want to express that I hope you and Meso feel better. I don’t see eye-to-eye with you or the pro-contest crowd, but as someone with mental health problems myself, I don’t want anybody to be struggling with that particular never-ending battle. I also earnestly believe that you should take all the time you need to deal with health issues and bigger commitments.

Yes. Both.

2001-2003 sets are in scale with each other. 2004-2005 sets are in scale with each other. 2006-2009 are in scale with each other. 2010 is not due to parts limitations.

We can reasonably assume that Tahu, Vakama, and Jaller are the average roughly-two-metre height for a Toa, based on commonality of their proportions among the group, and use them as measuring sticks for the rest of the characters. So a character that’s the same height as Jaller Mahri in 06-09 scale would be the same height as Tahu in 01-03 scale. Meanwhile, Steltian Nobles and Vortixx, who stand significantly taller than Vakama, would be even bigger if scaled-up to the size of a Mahri. And Teridax’s winged titan form, which was more than twice the height of Vakama, would be absolutely gargantuan if blown up to full scale.

With regards to the contests, the question then becomes which scale the winning models fit into. With the contests that ran during Bionicle’s run, it was easy to assume that they scaled with whatever the current set scale was. But now, with the toyline long-dead and scale being something people have fluid opinions on, with a lot of fans believing that all the sets scale with each other, that the Toa Inika were freakishly tall for their species, and the Toa Mata were canonically manlets, it’s much hazier.

Like we can probably assume that Artakha is in 2006-2009 scale, because that’s the area that most of Connor’s MOCs fit into, he’s a character who made his first physical appearance during 2009 (or was it 2010?), and he’s very large. But some have depicted him building the Toa Mata sets.

The Hagah quite clearly go into Metru scale, that was the entire point, no questions there, but then there’s Helryx. For the sake of generosity, I’m going to assume that Double was aiming for Mata scale, that she’s meant to go with the 2001-2003 builds, because if she’s 06 scale like the rest of the Order agents, she’s going to be even tinier in Mata scale.

(Though in full honesty I’ve already replaced the MOC with Bukkey’s version for art accuracy and just generally being better)

More seriously, and on the main topic at hand, I would like to know where the line is drawn between negativity and toxicity, because those are very different things, and I worry about the potential of a “No bummers” attitude because even when that starts with the best of intentions and a relaxed attitude it can go badly wrong, until any and all dissent is met with suspension.

Am I gonna get kicked for expressing dissatisfaction, in the event that something like Helryx happens again? I don’t generally have that opinion on the Hagah, the results are fairly satisfactory, my questioning of Bomonga was less about not liking the model (it was my third choice) and more about the possibility of a bad precedent being set.

If I sit here and go “I think it’s a mistake to do Tuyet next because we just had four Toa, with forced Metru builds, and Tuyet is a Toa who has been depicted as a Metru build by a massive portion of the fanbase for about 13 years now”, am I gonna get suspended for that?

10 Likes

I agree, I feel that this needs clarification. I don’t think that this:

Is a suspendable offense by the “no disrespect” rule, but I’ve seen quite a few people around that are concerned that criticism was just outlawed. Giving examples of what is and isn’t criticism vs harassment would go a long way.

6 Likes

Here, I can give a few quick examples.

Non-ban worthy remarks (critique, criticism):

Ban-worthy remarks (Toward staff):

I believe you are being told to step off, sir, and not make this unnecessarily difficult.

And I’m upset because Eljay, upon being told to either shove off with a minor issue literally nobody else, original moccist included, thought was a problem or be more consistent with his moderation, gave (Other member) a warning on the grounds of “behavioral rules”.

Coward.

Do these make it a little more clear?

29 Likes

Crystal.

Thank you.

7 Likes

This research suggests that 2004-09 are one scale:

3 Likes

glad to see you guys are getting help with contests and hopefully y’alls mental health can improve. don’t worry about how fast the contests get done as long as they are done right. hopefully you guys can find some good dedicated checkers who truly care about the community and these contests

1 Like

I could see that working, the only outliers I’d say are the Toa themselves, I can’t really see the Inika and the Metru being the same scale as each other. Though in all honesty I would make the Inika shorter rather than the Metru taller.

(Honestly I wish Toa had never gotten taller than the Metru, for a variety of reasons)

3 Likes

Glad that you guys have an update post. It’s good to finally see a reply after a long while of silence, and I can respect the reasons for it.
On the subject of help, you guys are clearly swamped with the large amount of stuff to do for the contests, so I’d like to do something, but my life is busy and there’s no guarantee that I would be an advantage or not.

I haven’t kept up with those contests that much, so pardon me If I am a bit ignorant, but what exactly has TheUnderscoredDouble done that has resulted him in not being to participate any further? I haven’t seen him do much here on the boards besides just posting his entries.

1 Like

Got it. I mean is it really that difficult for people to know the difference between constructive criticism and being a Butt? There is just no need for it.

5 Likes

Some offsite action probably
For the sake of TTV’s “image” it better had not been just that trollface wikipedia link

4 Likes

welcome to the boards

4 Likes

In short, multiple rule violations, both inside and outside of the contests, and on and off the boards. His conduct was just a pain.

7 Likes

Hey great to see you guys back, I haven‘t posted anything for the past few weeks but I have been reading the discussions and omg people need to chill man haha, I support this zero tolerance policy, I hope things will get better now, mental health and well being are far more important than just some contest.

Now I would love to be able to help, especially moderating the art portion, but right now I am busy with work, I still do have some free time but I don‘t want to say I‘m gonna do it and then retract afterwards, so I‘ll definitely contact you If I know for sure I‘ll be of any help.

6 Likes

you mean we aren’t supposed to act like children over childrens toys?

I do see a trend of people who are genuinely chill community members in this thread mentioning how they wish they could help but are busy. I hope we can get people who are like properly qualified who have time to work on this so that we can get a few more contests in before something else inevitably goes horribly wrong using the new checker system

(I also think shifting to something more creative like marendar instead of tuyet right after the hagah would be a good idea but also I could totally see someone entering mr.blobby in as marendar or something)

5 Likes

Yeah exactly I‘d love to moderate but I have no idea on how to do it lol, it needs to be people that know their stuff and are comitted to the rol.

4 Likes

this is a bit unrelated but I think a good rule that should be put in place for open ended things like marendar would be that it cannot resemble any character from an IP lego does not own. moreso just something so lego does not get into legal issues from greg approving something

2 Likes

I’m quite confident that there’ll be people willing and qualified to help out. I already know a couple who’ve applied.

8 Likes

Tell that to Marvel using Maxilos with Spinax’s head for one of their characters

I see no reason to ban the use of existing character’s silhouttes from other ips but if the resembleance is near match and clear it should be disclosed so voters can make their own mind about it if they feel it’s value is reduced due to it but leave these decisions to voters and not TTV unless it’s like… just a complete recreation ya know.

No palette swap CCBS Grievious

8 Likes