State of the Contests Update

Oh yeah I forgot about that lol

yeah, that was pretty funny when that happened.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification on the situation and really happy to hear changes will be made to cut down on toxicity as well as support the mental well-being of the admins. I’ve continually been incredibly impressed by just how much work is involved in running these contests, and I for one hope they continue for years down the road. Kudos to both of you for spearheading these contests and these changes, and I can’t wait to see how the future contests go!

17 Likes

i can’t believe TheUnderscoredDouble is dead

1 Like

as far as i understood he’s just barred from entering contests, not barred from the website.

5 Likes

well maybe but I also feel like that is something lego legal would not like. It’s not so much about value as liability. If the fans voted on a marendar that was pallete swapped grevious greg would probably reject it because of legal reasons. but then you could run into issue of it being a character from another non lego owned IP that greg would not recognize. we dont want to risk greg getting in trouble with his boss because the community voted to make marendar look like sans undertale

8 Likes

that’s an image i don’t need in my head. marendar killing toa with a gaster blaster…

7 Likes

It’s like you forgot the entries run trough multiple polls and the bad ones get voted out, nor does Lego care about G1 bionicle, the Greg stamp gives it a veneer of officiality but it’s not a stamp by Lego that would actually legally validate it as part of TLG

Lego owns the rights to the moc of Miserix, they don’t own it to Bomonga moc, Helryx moc or the Artakha moc and their representative artwork

1 Like

I feel like a remote risk of anything where greg might accidentally get in trouble with his job even if its a very small risk is not something we should be okay with just leaving up to a vote

4 Likes

Everything that Greg does for Bionicle, he does as a representative of Lego.

3 Likes

I just feel that its pretty disrespectful and lazy entering a contest with something like a recolor Grievious for example.

So all I really have to say is please avoid entering characters from other ips or characters who looks like characters from other ips. Its okay to take inspiration from other ips but just don’t be a copycat imo.

I also feel like this is about to spiral so can we all agree to disagree on this one?

9 Likes

I used recolor ccbs Grievious as an example that should be shut down by the staff as it clearly crosses the line

2 Likes

I’m twiddling my thumbs about it.* Considering that one Google Doc that was floating around in the main topic seemed to cover just about everything, I don’t think I could substantially add anything that either isn’t there or that other people applying to be assistants couldn’t. But if Eljay and Meso feel they still need more assistants for potential contests after the Hagah, then I’ll consider it more heavily then. Or alternatively, if Eljay and Meso still think they need more assistants for the Hagah after a certain amount of time (let’s arbitrarily say a week), then I probably would apply in that “second wave.”

*I in no way profess to necessarily be a qualified or a “reputably” “chill” member of the community (that’s largely for other people to decide). But making these contests run smoothly benefits everyone, and if I can aid in that process then I will. Plus, I’m recently unemployed, so it’s not like I’ve got anything better going on :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, something I’ve been thinking about recently for Eljay and Meso’s consideration: maybe do take off-site behavior into consideration when thinking of banning/suspending someone from either these contests or this site. I know that was something that was advised against by “The Council” during the Helryx contest with the situations of UnderscoredDouble and Giratina, and this line

implies you still follow that guideline to some extent. Which is fair! But, I’d argue that as a community as a whole, it’s a responsibility and a duty to ensure that people who are acting scummy be punished or otherwise reprimanded, be it here or elsewhere. And to be clear, I’m not suggesting that you two actively patrol places like Reddit or Instagram or wherever looking for trouble, that’d be insane. But, if someone’s off-site behavior is brought to your attention that is particularly atrocious or otherwise falls within the purview outlined here, then it might be worthwhile to suspend or ban them, either from just the contests or the site as a whole.

Not saying you have to do this or anything, and if you think it falls outside your purview I completely understand (in fairness, I could also see it as becoming a witch hunt perpetrated by bad actors). But if the only thing stopping you guys from doing it or something similar is solely because you’d think it’d be unpopular, well here’s one Joe Schmoe who supports it. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

how would this even get voted? There’s bound to many much more creative entries.
But I see your point.

Seconded lol we all have our preferences on design choices, and even if Greg’s lore declarations contradict themselves at times, it’s still his word these Contests hang on.

At the end of the day, tis by Greg’s specific statements do we execute our visions for Entries. We build, we share, and take it from there. Unless it’s hardbound and specified to the last detail according to continuity, there isn’t much use arguing about what “should” be what, regardless of how much sense it might make to assume such. It shouldn’t be that hard to disagree and move on, fellas!

4 Likes

This is a good thing to put into practice

3 Likes

I’ve been refraining from commenting here on a matter of principle, but this is something really important to address.

There was another member banned a while ago that deliberately hunted another member, sought to have him banned from every site he was on, and that included TTV. It was immediately relevant and so the pains to which staff went to to ensure this could not happen anywhere (and that justice here on TTV was done) were justified.

However, TTV rules apply first and foremost to actions that occur on TTV, meaning unless it directly relates, it really shouldn’t matter how awful someone else is anywhere else as long as they keep on the straight and narrow here. Other social media platforms have taken to that path to a light degree, and it emulates authoritarian overreach.

During the time that I was heading a mocing collab on discord it was brought to my attention that one of the members had committed a literal crime and was charged and convicted as a matter of public record. It was a felony which given the nature of, would have enabled this individual to perpetrate a similar act on a digital space, and it was a serious enough offense that people could very well be hurt by its occurring. I was then force-fed evidence to the legitimacy of the charge which went so far as identification of furniture, and decided to remove this individual from the collab for the safety of the members involved. He was later removed from TTV as well, not due to any action on my part.

If actions which are directly relevant to the safety of members on this site occur off-site, it is TTV’s responsibility to ensure the protection and safety of its own members, and they have demonstrated they do just that. But outside of that I don’t think it would be anything short of overly controlling to include in that scope less than dangerous charges, like getting banned from LEGO Cuusoo (which I was).

Maybe that’s what you already said but in greater detail; I’m not entirely sure.

17 Likes

wait what

4 Likes

Seriously why do people have to be like that. There is just no reason for it.
I mean it’s Lego for goodness sakes, can we not even have a community about Lego without people being toxic and mean to eachother for absolutely no reason…

3 Likes

Just think about all the times you’ve ever been toxic. That might give you some idea.

2 Likes