State of the Contests Update

This is the most incorrect statement since Lego said G2 sold well.

11 Likes

if we assume it can be split into the component “ra” for not and “hi” for us, then all we need is to determine the matoran word for “among”

1 Like

Indeed, nothing compares to the blueberry

2 Likes

I hate that I know exactly what you mean when you say blueberry lmaoooo

1 Like

I just spent $200 on BrickLink to buy parts for contest now. (If i add up all the expenses for contest… Oh, my salary is disappearing.)
If contest is suddenly suspended, I might cause a explosion. lfmao

6 Likes

Your Lariska will always be the Lariska of my heart canon, bro

3 Likes

eljay said we would vote after Lariska Contest.
I hope we will continue to have good contest after the jungle slizer and tarakava slaughter contest.
Of course… I’m honestly afraid of Irnakk and Brutaka slaughter contest.

9 Likes

When like 50% of the goal is consistency with some things that already exist, originality isn’t always a good thing.

IMO Bomogus fits in just about well enough, but he really pushes the limits of what looks good as part of the team lineup, especially when the others fit so well into the standard. If you looked at them without knowing that only two were official sets, you could conceivably believe that all of them were available to purchase in 2005… except Bomonga, who couldn’t look more like a MOC if he tried.

But, well, that’s just the weakness of choosing to base a MOC contest on a pair of clone sets from when Bionicle was at its absolute clone-iest. People can talk about the rules being too restrictive or the results being boring all they like, but those are symptoms.

The source is the Hagah themselves. The design language and limitations of their set forms, set in stone sixteen years ago. The restrictive rules were necessitated in order for them to actively represent the Hagah, because as soon as a Greg quote that they were Metru clones was found, y’all immediately started trying to push the limits and stretch the definition of a Metru build.

Yeah, the resultant builds weren’t particularly inspiring, I know. For weeks on end, the MOC section of the boards turned into Contest Wars, Episode III: Attack of the Clone Sets, which was duller than dishwater. But that’s something inherent to the Toa Hagah as a unit. They’re supposed to look samey, it’s a uniform design. They’re elite soldiers assigned to guard evil tyrants, quite literally the Bonkle versions of the guys with the funny hats outside of Buckingham Palace, their appearance is set for a reason.

And from an out-of-universe perspective, uniformity just looks better on a shelf together.

S’why I have to raise my eyebrows at any builder who went “Yeah the artists can change the mask/weapon/colour/all three”, in a contest where those are often the only things separating one entrant from another. We’ve had at least one case of an artist straight-up drawing the wrong Pouks. Not just any wrong Pouks, but the one that came dead-last while up against the Keetongu mask (Which, uh, doesn’t look good, sorry) and the faraway shot where you can’t see his mask or chest clearly.

Most of the issues with the outcome of this contest can be chalked back to a single source: “Design Four Clones” was never going to make for a good contest, and characters whom were either more important, more interesting, or both, like Tuyet and Lariska, could’ve and should’ve been done instead.

14 Likes

whch is also why Artakha contest went way more smoothly, it didn’t drown in rules and allowed for creativity. Just have these clone builds skipped for everyone’s sanity.

1 Like

dunno if you noticed, but…

it’s kinda too late for that.

10 Likes

It was always going to be like that, what is done is done. Following contests will be much less strict regarding appearance, heck towards the end there would be some fantastic free for all’s with the GSB and Marander.

Anyways, I will say again that this time can be a new one, a fresh start.

2 Likes

Which is why it was poor judgement to do Hagah in the first place, not like they weren’t warned.

yes but like

what exactly is the point of bringing it up? Getting the nice, juicy “I told you so lol”?

8 Likes

Such a shame Nidhiki is so far away else it’d happen again

isn’t tuyet the next contest though

2 Likes

It is. Just made first version of my tuyet today.

2 Likes

My Tuyet build is complete in stud.io, I’m just gonna have to buy the physical pieces.

1 Like

My tuyet build is makeable IRL but I am probably not buying pieces unless I win lol.

2 Likes

I can’t really agree with all entries for the Hagah being clones. While yes inherently entries would share elements, I still believe that there was enough diversity in builds if you truly looked at them. A moc isn’t just torso and limbs (The limbs varied too even though it was patterned) its armor and weaponry too.

While I don’t agree I can say that the unwillingness to experiment with color combos specifically for Kualus and Gaaki was to me the least creative part of this contest.

Either way I was suspended during the contest, so what do I really know. All I can say is that I took a risk of trying something new with the armor for my Hagah and it didn’t pay off. So is the problem really “clone sets” or is it something else?

Edit: I’m sure alot of people weren’t happy by the rules of this contest and simply choose to not care or put the effort in. However this is just speculation on my part.

4 Likes

If you liked the black Metru torso stonks, just you wait for the gold Thok spine…

I don’t think Nidhiki will be Metru torso-mandated, just like Tuyet won’t be. In fact, Nidhiki strictly shouldn’t, while I feel a Metru Tuyet is really the only option given she had previously travelled with Lhikan iirc. Nidhiki should be similar to Krakua in build.

2 Likes