Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Topic

Building could be an issue. The minecart looks like a pretty good projectile, TNT looks like a great ledge trapping move, and the weird walking jab thing looks good.

1 Like

Yea, I think that’s what felt off about him to me. I feel like people are gonna easily find loopholes in his moveset that will make him beyond op.

Although, Nintendo has learned from their mistakes with characters like Meta Knight and Bayonetta. They listen more closely to the complaints and, if it’s bad enough, nerf characters accordingly. Hopefully they’ll find a way to balance Steve.

It might also not be as bad as it seems, too. I remember everyone (or at least a lot of people) thought Ridley was gonna dominate in every competition because of his size, maneuverability and powerful-looking moveset, but then he ended up on the lowest tiers in lots of lists.

Are you saying my boy Ridley has a chance to shine :smiley:

No because all of ridley’s jumps are short and his up special has lots of startup and can’t be altered mid flight
Steve would have way too easy of a time walling him off and watching him plummet

Meta Knight, Jigglypuff, Kirby, King Dedede, Game & Watch, King K Rool, and Snake are all examples of characters whose air game can outmatch Steve’s ridiculous edgeguarding capabilities

2 Likes

But… my boy Ridley :frowning:

Yeah maybe. Guess that means it’s time for me to become a Steve main

1 Like

steve’s moveset looks so goofy, i can’t wait

i haven’t played smash in almost a year but i’ll hop on just to play steve

1 Like

Something else I realized after rewatching the Sakurai Presents

Simon Belmont is Steve’s bane

Steve has no projectile game whatsoever and all of Simon’s projectiles hit hard
Any recovery option for Steve is a golden setup for the Belmont boy
And unlike Richter, Simon can ignite the TNT from a distance

If the Simon hops well, uses every projectile and his insane whip spacing, and slides in when he gets the opportunity, this matchup is in the bag

2 Likes

You could be on to something. If Simon’s axe goes through Steve’s blocks, that could be really useful. On the other hand, Steve would have no trouble edge guarding him.

1 Like

Ah crap you right!

That’s only if Steve manages to get him off stage

The Simon player would have to be phenomenally bad for that to occur like me. Also, I think it goes without saying that Byleth would also body Steve.

EDIT because no doublepost: Alright I’ve come up with the Ultimate (funny because name? Peter explains the joke) list which should help any character get a better grip on handling the little cube boy.

WHAT TO AVOID:
-Taking time to charge a move: This gives the Steve plenty of time to mine, craft, or place blocks to box you or himself in.
-Attacking slow: What I mean by this is every character has an attack that, if missed, will slow them down tremendously. Luigi’s dash attack may be the most infamous, but every character has them. Avoid at all costs.
-Keeping a solid air game: Steve is a ground-based fighter with extremely poor jump height. If you challenge Steve in the air, he won’t come fight you. He’ll take the time to mine or to use that idiotically good up smash too finish you off.

WHAT TO DO:
-Avoid grab range: There are very few characters in the game without some form of projectile, most times a casual one. Hammer Steve with peppered blasts of Mario’s/Ridley’s fireball, Samus’ tracking missile, Ness’/Lucas’ electricity, or even Snake’s grenades. This will make approaching much easier, as Steve has a Luigi grab range and likely just as good of setups out of the throw.
-Up and out: Steve is a ground-based fighter, which puts him at a significant disadvantage when losing in the air. Block placement is the strongest setup he has here, as any competent player isn’t going to be wallowing underneath him waiting to get squashed and his glider is only useful for snapping to ledge. If he hits the ground at all while using up special, the end lag is his death sentence.
-Bowser: As soon as I purchase Steve I’m going to run some Bowser tests, namely to determine how easily Bowser can eat through those blocks, if fire attacks on them push Bowser back, etc. The list here will probably be updated after that point and many more strategies may become viable or unviable based on how Bowser performs. Also, tough guy mechanic.
-More rolls than a bakery: Roy’s gonna love this part. Dodge rolling will do wonders against Steve, as many of his moves can be negated or completely ignored with a well-timed roll. Perfect shielding can handle the rest, so test your triggers! (I can’t even make myself shield consistently enough to even consider using dodging in any match beyond maybe once, so keep in mind this is for good players, not ghid players)

Imposter’s next for Smash, I’m calling it.

4 Likes

I think Steve’s potency against campy characters will mostly depend on how blocks interact with projectiles. Steve might be able to slowly push forward, or blocks could break too quickly.

While it’s true Steve is ground based, his aerials look like they have decent disjointed hitboxes. If you jump up to challenge him, he might just swat you away if you don’t have the range.

If you just flame breath blocks, I can’t imagine the Steve not hitting you. Tough guy usually doesn’t mean much, but I guess we’ll see.

The part about rolling is true for like every character. If you have perfectly timed rolls, of course you won’t get hit.

I do think some of this is very possible to work, I’m just not convinced until it is a proven tactic.

1 Like

Whatever’s breaking the blocks is also something Steve can walk directly into if he pushes forward. No, Steve will most likely block and mine.

Thankfully most of the characters who lack such range have way better approach options than an air swipe.

Tough guy can mean a whole lot at the start of the match. And while Steve could circumvent around and hit you, it’s entirely deserved if the bowser is dumb enough to stand there and flame an obvious diversion.

You didn’t catch the joke I see

EDIT: SEPHIROTH IS REAL HE SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE AND SAID ‘ghid, i am real’ HES IN THE GAME :000000

2 Likes

They almost killed Mario again.

3 Likes

Super Smash Bros.?

More like

Super Sword Bros.

5 Likes

I don’t understand Nintendo’s obsession with characters that have a long reach. 3 of the last 4 DLC have absurd range somewhere.

It’s called making jigglypuff worthless

4 Likes

Jigglypuff was worthless far before this.

1 Like

It is why I have not been buying the newest DLCs. Some of the characters are silly with their range. I do, however, need to get around to buying Steve…

2 Likes

Don’t forget the funny skeleton.