Surly Swamp - Pixel Animation

Hello everyone on the Boards!

It’s been a while since I’ve shared any sort of pixel art, let alone some animation.

I was in the mood for doing a bit of isometric practice the other day and wound up creating an entire animated piece. It’s the first time I’ve ever done a full pixel scene, as well as a fully animated one.

Diamonds_GIF

Some fun trivia:
The colors here are inspired by, but not exactly, the 4-color palette of the original Gameboy. When I started this scene I went through a couple different palettes, but settled on this one because I liked working within the limitations.

The pixel dimensions are based on the screen of my all-time favorite handheld, the Gameboy Advance SP.

The characters and environment here are all taken from, as usual, my D&D campaign. The enemies are the offspring of the dragon/frog hybrid named Beelzebub who has corrupted the island, turning it into a putrid swamp. In our campaign, the island itself is also called Beelzebub, but I think a fitting RPG level name for it would be “Surly Swamp” as we’re currently sailing with some pirates.

And in case you’re already familiar, this was heavily inspired by the artist Brandon James Greer on YouTube. He does a lot of similar animated pixel art, and his style inspired me to make this piece.

I know that was a lot, but here’s your cookie for reading: :cookie:

As always,
Comment and Discuss!

25 Likes

oh no another brandon james greer fan who outclasses me in sprite work

wait why is my self esteem on the top of the empire state building self esteem what are you doing

This is really really good dude, excellent work

4 Likes

Well, you know, in case of emergency it will drop to the sidewalk in a few seconds

Anyways, really nice

1 Like

Very good. I could definitely see this being on the Gameboy!

I’ve been dabbling in pixel art and animation for a few years, but it’ll take a while for me to get to this level!

1 Like

Really really impressive.

1 Like

Man, this looks fantastic!

Also now I HAVE to like any topic with Connie in it.

1 Like

Don’t worry, Ghid. No one outclasses you in reaction face memes.

It just takes time, practice, and lots and lots of tutorial watching.

I’m glad you like him as much as I do!

Thanks, all!

2 Likes

What did you use to make this?

Photoshop. It’s got this nifty little Timeline feature that I don’t really use much at all, but I gave it a go this time around.

1 Like

Piskel is a good free alternative. It lets you make pixel art and pixel animations, and share them online.

3 Likes

I can vouch, I’ve used Piskel myself a few times.

2 Likes

@Atobe_Brick thanks! I might do something with that.

2 Likes