Sword Art Online Discussion Topic

Not at all.

Honestly, after a lot of rethinking and such, I’ve come to the conclusion that many have: Anything past the first arc is… lacking in quality to say the least.

1 Like

I thought this show was good
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Uh no. It’s not. it’s actually awful. there are plenty of ways you could salvage it, but it just fails on almost every level. Don’t watch it. Also don’t watch Guilty Crown because it’s a thousand times worse.

2 Likes

Wow. I think I just found the only people I’ve ever interacted with who hate SAO…

Believe me, we aren’t the only ones. We’re probably the only ones who haven’t gone into explicit detail on why the series sucks and why we don’t like it. Which I could. I just don’t feel like doing it since I’m already procrastinating just by posting here. Just go watch Gurren Lagann or something good like that.

To clarify, I do like SAO, I think it’s a great show.

I’ve seen Gurren Lagann and it is also a great show.

Don’t bother, I’m not going to sit here and listen to people tell me why I should hate what I like. If I wanted to do that I’d go to Reddit.

the best and only way to like sword art online is to ironically like sword art online

The following is entirely my opinion.

1st arc: really good
2nd arc: absolute trash
GGO: good

GGO was the only arc i was actually interested in, and not just me memeing around being ironic with the series

My opinion is pretty similar to a few here:

Season 1 first Arc I liked. Second Arc sucked. Second season I did not enjoy.

Second arc felt rushed, messy and poorly planned.

Second season felt “hey it made money and got popular, let’s make more.” And I hated the beginning section for personal reasons.

1 Like

Ok, a lot of people including myself have made a lot of jokes about how this show isn’t very good, and I do stand by that opinion. So now, I decided to go a bit more in depth on why this show really was a missed opportunity. Also, if you like SAO, I don’t mean to insult any of you, but I’m going to be objective and these are my opinions and such. Spoilers ahead if you care:

The beginning of season 1 is actually not so bad, not perfect, but it was fun if you’re willing to ignore some stuff. Pacing felt a bit awkward at times with how fast it could be and the voice acting had some cheesy lines (I watched before there was a dub, but I believe that had some corny lines as well). Again, far from a perfect show, but the it was still a fun watch at first because we got to see these people struggle to get out of this game, and that was still pretty cool. But as we keep going past episode 5ish (if my memory serves me rights), there’s some glaring issues with this anime that make it unwatchable at times. Kirito, first of all, is a horrible main character, actually, he’s honestly one of the worst I’ve ever seen in any movie or show. This guy has no defining personality whatsoever, the most the show ever tries to define him is when he’s dealing with his isolation problems, but those are to vague for me to really care about at all. I really can’t tell you anything about Kirito, other than he is supposedly great at this game, but even that isn’t shown all that much. I let this pass in the first few episodes because there was still the actual game to look forward to forward to, but then I discovered another problem with Kirito, and I actually understood why his character is conceived the way it is. As the show progresses we see EVERY female character fall in love with him for very little reason. The show focused too much on the relationship he had with these girls, and only by around episode 10 focused on his main romantic interest Asuna. The reason Kirito is made into a bland main character is because the show is aimed at people who want to project themselves on Kirito, so they can be the invincible cool guy who gets all the girls. I know this is joked around by a lot of people, but that’s really what the show is: Wish fulfillment. It’s basically Twilight for male gamers. Once we actually get to the main romance between him and Asuna, the rest of the story tends to take the backseat in place of the romance and it frankly isn’t done all that well. I have no issue with romancs in of itself, but this is not well written, there’s not much development to it, and when another girl crushes on Kirito in the midst of his relationship it feels even more cheap. Near the end of the first half we probably have one of the biggest cop outs in television history. Kirito meets the creator of SAO and asks why he stuck everyone in this game with the threat of death in the first place. His response was basically “I forgot dude, sorry”. Then we get to the second half of the show, and it just gets worse. Kirito enters the new game ALO to help rescue Asuna who is left in an unconscious state in the real world. This takes place after everyone who survived has escaped SAO. No one is trapped or under the threat of death if they die in the game. Yet Kirito takes it so seriously it’s actually kind of funny at times. The big problems I have with this is that it ruins the whole “you die in the game you die in real life” concept. There are no real stakes anymore, just fake illusions from Kirito taking this thing so seriously. If he dies there’s he can just hop back in the game and continue. So why act like it’s the end of the world throughout this thing??? It’s just so stupid. Then he finally fights the villain keeping Asuna locked away (whose name I can’t even remember), and beats him by, ummmm, hacking??? This is obviously very sudden and they just needed an excuse for him to be able to win, but if my memory serves me right Krito raised the guy’s pain levels so high he was able to win. Guess an ending like that should’ve been expected.

I can’t speak for GGO, I’ve heard it’s a bit better, but frankly, I’m not interested. But all in all, that’s why I don’t like SAO. There are some other stupid stuff I didn’t mention but this is long enough already.

2 Likes

except sao, from a meme perspective is quite funny

1 Like

Memes can make something funny, but that doesn’t make the show good. The Nutshack had lots of memes and just watching a few seconds of that opening told me it was one of the worst things ever.

I once watched the entire pilot.

I still have nightmares to this day.

######Tito, D*ck Dickman, baby…#######

1 Like

I don’t like Sword Art Online at all, but I do want to give some credit where credit is due: The series has interesting concepts and I feel it has potential.

And that’s where my praise stops.

I need to vent real quickly:

• First off, I hate it when SAO fanboys try to make comparisons to RPGs that are not even in the same genre as SAO (the game) to debunk completely valid critcisms. If you are going to argue with critics, at least keep logic intact.
  • Why would a fantasy game not have dedicated magic mechanics in it? All they have is expensive, hard to get crystals…
  • Why does only one person get a dual weilding ability? That causes so much unbalance it’s not funny. And not to mention that would piss everyone off in real life.
  • Death gun…DEATH GUN… DEATH GUN. TOO MUCH EDGE.
  • What is with GGO and it’s character builds? It can take about 8 months to make one and it can become worthless in an instant… wat!?! Also I would not want my character features determined by RNG. RNGeseus hates me…
  • Ordinal Scale: An augmented reality game? That seems like a step down from virtual reality games…
  • ALO: Oh look, we have a character class that is useless…
  • And for the love of Mata Nui, why didn’t Kirito put the log out feature back instead of creating a backup for Yui? Heck, he probably could have done both!
2 Likes