system constraction in wave 2 of monkie kid

So recently, LEGO released images of the new wave of monkie kid sets, among them was “The Flaming Foundry” which includes this small brick built figure of the demon bull king

We’ve seen LEGO make brick built characters like this many times before (the redstone abomination from minecraft dungeons for example), but this one is very close to what I, and many others, would want from a system reboot of bionicle.

It makes me wonder if LEGO is actively experimenting with the concept of system constraction, even if a bionicle reboot isn’t the intended culmination of those efforts, (which it most likely isn’t) it’s still very interesting to see.

5 Likes

Uh…Lego has been designing mechs like this for AGES. I hardly think that this is experimentation for a Bionicle reboot.

Just because a set uses this one random piece or building technique, doesn’t mean it’s foreshadowing a Bionicle return.

8 Likes

Have you heard of Mixels?

8 Likes

I did say it was unlikely that it was teasing a reboot.
Also another important thing is that it isn’t a mech, but an actual character.

I’m trying to communicate why I’m exited about this figure and trying to add more substance to it, and probably not doing a very good job of that.

2 Likes

To be honest, brick built figures like this are a pretty good way for LEGO to go from this day forward. Not sure if I’d want BIONICLE that way, but for LEGO’s health it makes sense to keep system going.

2 Likes

this is clearly glinching

8 Likes

It’s obviously a revamp of this guy

2 Likes

didn’t think about that, you’re right…

LEGO has been doing system-built figures like this ever since 2014 with the Mixles (and at the time, Constraction was actually still a thing) so there is nothing new about this thing.

1 Like

I feel like the important difference is that it’s relatively small (compared to stuff like the minecraft bigfigs and the redstone abominations from dungeons), and has a more serious mechanical look.

but in terms of general concept I admit it’s nothing new.

1 Like

These figures still don’t have knees, so…

2 Likes

LEGO has been doing these weird semi-articulate brick figures since the Homemaker figures in the mid 1970s. The only thing that has changed is the hinge pieces. It was originally finger hinges then in the early 2000s it was a stronger locking hinge they used for Exo-Force, then in the mid 2010s it was the towball system. I’m not a fan of these figures. IMO the only time LEGO got it right were Belville dolls and Technic figures.

4 Likes